Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Nav, Radar, Electronics

Phastek Performance

Old 10-19-2021, 06:10 PM   #1
Red Chief

Drives: 2020 LT1 Black
So I washed my keyfob last night...

Was doing a load of laundry and heard a loud clanking noise coming from the drier. Opened it to look for the culprit and it was my 2020 Camaro keyfob I'd left in a pants pocket.

I have a spare but immediately decided to see if it still worked...and it did!

So maybe they don't make 'em like they used to but I was impressed that not only is this thing waterproof, it also surivived a washing machine spin cycle and being banged around in a drier for few minutes.
Red Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 06:14 PM   #2
s346k

Drives: like an old lady
yes i have done this several times already. only dried it twice in the dryer but it'll definitely take a beating.
Old 10-19-2021, 06:14 PM   #3
LT1ornothing

Drives: 2020 LT1 M6
You may hold the crown for most intensely abused and still functioning 6th gen camaro key fob. Now don't do it again.
LT1ornothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 06:17 PM   #4
jamala00

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Hyper Blue Metallic
lol... oops, but hey, no harm no foul right.
jamala00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 06:30 PM   #5
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
I would take it apart and just make sure all the water evaporates, but I am assuming you have done that already.

I personally attach my car key to a small pouch like this so it's hard to miss it when doing laundry,

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 02:55 AM   #6
peteric

Drives: 2016 camaro
Nice, but I would put it in a ziplock with desiccant to get the moisture out.
peteric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 05:42 AM   #7
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
I washed my Bose Noise Cancelling headphones. Still working.

Corrosion is your long term enemy here. But as pointed out in a baggie with descendant or simply open it up and use a blow dryer.

Sadly likely too late for either at this point.
Old 10-20-2021, 07:37 AM   #8
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownJinX View Post
I would take it apart and just make sure all the water evaporates, but I am assuming you have done that already.
Quote:
Originally Posted by peteric View Post
Nice, but I would put it in a ziplock with desiccant to get the moisture out.
It's a common misconception that water and electronics don't mix when it's really something IN the water (sugar in coffee or soda, for example), electronics, and electricity don't mix!

I have literally disassembled and fully washed and dried computer keyboards and other items with absolutely zero issues. The key to all of it is to ensure that everything has been completely rinsed off and NO POWER is applied until it's completely dried. If it were me, this is what I would do...

- Pop the key fob open and remove the battery
- Pull the circuit board out
- Using Q-Tip's and isopropyl alcohol, fully wipe down the entirety of the board on both sides to be sure there are no remnants of soap or anything
- Leave it disassembled for a couple of days to fully dry out (you can put it into a zipper bag with something like rice if you wish)
- Put it back together and never, ever let it happen again

ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 09:23 AM   #9
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Ember is the man!
Soapy water probably did get in, albeit a small amount. Soap makes the water alkaline. Residual moisture can cause spot corrosion and kill a connection on a surface mounted device.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 10:07 AM   #10
MR2Aaron

Drives: 2021 Camaro 1SS, 2012 Scion iQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by ember1205 View Post
It's a common misconception that water and electronics don't mix when it's really something IN the water (sugar in coffee or soda, for example), electronics, and electricity don't mix!

I have literally disassembled and fully washed and dried computer keyboards and other items with absolutely zero issues. The key to all of it is to ensure that everything has been completely rinsed off and NO POWER is applied until it's completely dried. If it were me, this is what I would do...

- Pop the key fob open and remove the battery
- Pull the circuit board out
- Using Q-Tip's and isopropyl alcohol, fully wipe down the entirety of the board on both sides to be sure there are no remnants of soap or anything
- Leave it disassembled for a couple of days to fully dry out (you can put it into a zipper bag with something like rice if you wish)
- Put it back together and never, ever let it happen again

I'll raise you having washed piles of motherboards and graphics cards in my dishwasher after doing component level repairs. It works shockingly well.

The rice thing is bad advice, though. There are dessicants that you can use that way, but rice isn't among them. Little bits of it can get onto the board and sometimes cause additional corrosion, which is what you're trying to avoid by doing all this. Better to just blow all the water out with air and let the board finish drying on its own. As long as it's not powered on, the small amount of remaining water won't cause any problems before it evaporates.
MR2Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 10:07 AM   #11
sandm

Drives: no more camaro :(
washed our hyundai sonata fob many years ago a couple of times and 5 years later fob is still working perfectly without doing anything to it. was our first keyless unit and kept forgetting it.

if it were me, I'd continue using it as is rather than wasting all the time to clean it up. if it does die years from now, they are cheap and easy to program off ebay. our camaro only came with 1 and it was $30-ish and an hour of time while detailing the car to program.
sandm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 10:13 AM   #12
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR2Aaron View Post
I'll raise you having washed piles of motherboards and graphics cards in my dishwasher after doing component level repairs. It works shockingly well.

The rice thing is bad advice, though. There are dessicants that you can use that way, but rice isn't among them. Little bits of it can get onto the board and sometimes cause additional corrosion, which is what you're trying to avoid by doing all this. Better to just blow all the water out with air and let the board finish drying on its own. As long as it's not powered on, the small amount of remaining water won't cause any problems before it evaporates.
Yes, rice can leave debris behind. If you do go this route, maybe put the board into a container with rice but wrap it with a microfiber cloth or put the cloth on top of the rice and the board on top of it.

Rice will work, but it's going to take a little time. Whether rice or a specific desiccant material, a barrier between it and the board is a good idea.

I haven't washed things like motherboards, but I've done component repairs (de-soldering / soldering of chips or similar) and used a denatured alcohol or similar to completely wipe down the surrounding area to remove all of the foreign substances to ensure no additional conductivity remains on the boards.

The keyboard washing was mostly due to people spilling drinks on their keyboard (or laptop computers). Black coffee was seldom an actual issue. But when it was loaded with sugar (similar when the spilled drink was soda or a sports drink), it was a different story.
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 10:53 AM   #13
KenMaro

Drives: 2019 Camaro 2SS manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Chief View Post
Was doing a load of laundry and heard a loud clanking noise coming from the drier. Opened it to look for the culprit and it was my 2020 Camaro keyfob I'd left in a pants pocket.

I have a spare but immediately decided to see if it still worked...and it did!

So maybe they don't make 'em like they used to but I was impressed that not only is this thing waterproof, it also surivived a washing machine spin cycle and being banged around in a drier for few minutes.
It's all good, now you know you have a very clean key fob!
KenMaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 06:25 PM   #14
craigss50

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS Fifty
Lincoln MKX Key-fob would not work after going for a swim in the pool. Only in for about 3mins when I realized. Cost $350 to replace.
craigss50 is offline   Reply With Quote