Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

AWE Tuning

Old 09-10-2021, 03:33 PM   #29
MMC(SW) Retired

Drives: 2021 Chevy Camaro LT1
I just bought the Cold Air Inductions unit, installed it myself and no tune was required. No issues; no CELs. Much cheaper than the GM unit although it is the same product. As for dealers saying they'll void your warranty for an aftermarket intake, they can't do that. They have to prove that your intake caused a problem in order to deny a warranty repair, such as a MAF.
GM Splitter and Rear Spoiler
MMC(SW) Retired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 06:31 PM   #30
BlackKnight2SS18
Account Suspended

Drives: 2018 2SS Redline
CAI is the way. They manufacturer the GM Performance unit and it's super easy to install.
BlackKnight2SS18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 06:33 PM   #31
Dabjbr

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMC(SW) Retired View Post
I just bought the Cold Air Inductions unit, installed it myself and no tune was required. No issues; no CELs. Much cheaper than the GM unit although it is the same product. As for dealers saying they'll void your warranty for an aftermarket intake, they can't do that. They have to prove that your intake caused a problem in order to deny a warranty repair, such as a MAF.
Although you're right, I went ahead and ordered the GMPP version. I figured the tune, GM branding and avoiding any dealership drama is worth the extra few dollars.

If it were out of warranty, I'd probably would have gotten the CAI version.
Dabjbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 06:34 PM   #32
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabjbr View Post
Although you're right, I went ahead and ordered the GMPP version. I figured the tune, GM branding and avoiding any dealership drama is worth the extra few dollars.

Plus the GMPP one is the only one that is 50 state legal (CARB Approved in CA)...
Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...
2SS Capt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 07:14 AM   #33
MMC(SW) Retired

Quote:

Congrats. When I bought my CAI intake, the GM site said that you had to have the GM intake installed by a dealer and then have the ECM reflashed in order for GM to warranty the intake. I wasn't going to spend upwards of $800 for an installed intake. Hopefully you didn't have to have a dealer install it for you.
Old 09-12-2021, 07:20 AM   #34
MMC(SW) Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SS Capt View Post
Plus the GMPP one is the only one that is 50 state legal (CARB Approved in CA)...

I'm satisfied with being 49-state legal...
Old 09-21-2021, 02:42 PM   #35
RW_RS

Drives: 2021 Chevrolet Camaro LT1
Quote:
So i just went to a Chevy dealership, talked with the parts guy. I wanted to go ahead and order the GM intake and use my chevy points worth 100 bucks. Turns out he cant order it because it says so "on his screen". Nor would they be able to even install and flash it. WTF!
i been eyeballing it on the accessories site and just a couple weeks ago I would've been able to order it and pick a dealer and add the price of install in. Only 100 bucks so I was gonna do that. Now its giving me an error when I add the install price. This is why I went to the dealer to see what was up.
Parts guy said if you ordered it or bought it with the intake installed, it would be fine and California would accept it. I wonder if there was another change in the past few weeks where California is clamping down even harder on emissions stuff. (is that even possible? lol)
Looking like GMPARTS or equivalent and doing it myself with no flash. Or shooting out to Vegas to have it done.
Anyone know if that would be an issue? Since I'm registered in Cali?

I didnt care about Californias rules and things before, but these last couple years really makes me wanna bounce...
#firstworldproblems
RW_RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 04:02 PM   #36
Dabjbr

Quote:
Originally Posted by RW_RS View Post
So i just went to a Chevy dealership, talked with the parts guy. I wanted to go ahead and order the GM intake and use my chevy points worth 100 bucks. Turns out he cant order it because it says so "on his screen". Nor would they be able to even install and flash it. WTF!
i been eyeballing it on the accessories site and just a couple weeks ago I would've been able to order it and pick a dealer and add the price of install in. Only 100 bucks so I was gonna do that. Now its giving me an error when I add the install price. This is why I went to the dealer to see what was up.
Parts guy said if you ordered it or bought it with the intake installed, it would be fine and California would accept it. I wonder if there was another change in the past few weeks where California is clamping down even harder on emissions stuff. (is that even possible? lol)
Looking like GMPARTS or equivalent and doing it myself with no flash. Or shooting out to Vegas to have it done.
Anyone know if that would be an issue? Since I'm registered in Cali?

I didnt care about Californias rules and things before, but these last couple years really makes me wanna bounce...
#firstworldproblems
I really hope you're wrong seriously! I just bought mine online. Plan to install it within the next week. If I get rejected at the dealership, I'll be pissed.

Yeah, I too am getting fed up with this CARB bullshit. I get reducing smog but there's a huge overcorrection.

Will provide an update as things develop.
Old 09-21-2021, 05:00 PM   #37
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Quote:
I really hope you're wrong seriously! I just bought mine online. Plan to install it within the next week. If I get rejected at the dealership, I'll be pissed.

Yeah, I too am getting fed up with this CARB bullshit. I get reducing smog but there's a huge overcorrection.

Will provide an update as things develop.
Since yours is a 2020, you SHOULD be ok and the dealer should be able to flash it...
Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...
Old 09-21-2021, 11:59 PM   #38
DriftNDraft

Drives: 2020 1SS 1LE M6 was 2018 V6 RS A8
The GMPP cold air intake was a dealer-installed item on my 2020 SS 1LE and was listed on the window sticker. I'm not sure what changed with the TSB reflash, or even if the dealer never flashed it initially, but the throttle response is now definitely more even and has more torque at low speeds. The engine doesn't bog nearly as much when engaging the clutch.
DriftNDraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 12:13 AM   #39
Dabjbr

Quote:
Since yours is a 2020, you SHOULD be ok and the dealer should be able to flash it...
Here’s what I think may be happening…. California will no longer allow modified ECU tunes. It has to be stock. This will be scanned during bi annual smog checks. (Note, smog checks won’t happen until after the first 8 years. So I still have 7 years before it’s a problem)

Back to my belief, I wonder if GM is playing it safe and not allowing the GMPP CAI because it’s unclear if this downloaded tune will pass new California laws. Perhaps the hold is temporary until they figure it out.

Nonetheless, I have an appointment scheduled tomorrow for the tune. I really hope there’s no problem but I guess illl soon find out!
Old 09-22-2021, 01:49 AM   #40
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Quote:
Here’s what I think may be happening…. California will no longer allow modified ECU tunes. It has to be stock. This will be scanned during bi annual smog checks. (Note, smog checks won’t happen until after the first 8 years. So I still have 7 years before it’s a problem)

Back to my belief, I wonder if GM is playing it safe and not allowing the GMPP CAI because it’s unclear if this downloaded tune will pass new California laws. Perhaps the hold is temporary until they figure it out.

Nonetheless, I have an appointment scheduled tomorrow for the tune. I really hope there’s no problem but I guess i'll soon find out!
Maybe or maybe not... Either way, I'm leaving Kalifornia the day I retire... (5-6 years)... My 2020 got flashed with the GMPP Cold Air Intake I installed myself...

Old 09-22-2021, 09:01 AM   #41
RW_RS

Drives: 2021 Chevrolet Camaro LT1
Quote:

Nonetheless, I have an appointment scheduled tomorrow for the tune. I really hope there’s no problem but I guess illl soon find out!
Report back would you please? I plan on installing the CAI then going to a dealer and playing dumb, see if they flash it for me still.
RW_RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 05:37 PM   #42
Dabjbr

In a word... success!

Here's the whole story...

- Bought the gmpp cai from shop chevy parts for $401 shipped
- After spooking myself with carb/california concerns and this thread, decided to install the cai last night. Followed lethal garage video and took about 30-40 minutes.
- Went to dealership for tune today. Wanted to play it dumb but after the service advisor, (who was actually damn cool) thought there was a $175 charge, I had to wise up. I explained that I bought it online and installed it myself. Provided the packet which included the labor code. Once he saw that, he said it wasn't a problem!
- Dealer drove me home via lyft.
- 4 hours later, dealer called, said it was done and lyft picked me up.
- When getting the car, I spoke to the advisor again. I asked if he ran into any problems being we're in California. He said Not at all. He explained the process which includes calling Chevy and having them add it to the Vin and build sheet. He questioned if other dealers had problems there but no issues at this dealership. He further mentioned this dealership does about 1-2 of these cai install/tunes a week. Many of them from the Silverado crowd.

So, I'm now happy! Can't speak to sound or performance or gains but it sure looks better.