Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Bigwormgraphix

Old 08-17-2021, 08:18 PM   #15
Ummpwr

Drives: Honda S2000
I haven't done a whole lot of rain driving but earlier this year I had a time trial with NASA at CMP & it was a 100% rain but I was determined to go. I work at Autometrics Motorsports and they had some "transport only" Michilen rain tires sitting around. I mounted them up and sure enough it rained all weekend... Boy were the tires AMAZING. It was like I was in the dry and everyone else was stuck in the mud. Even the guys with Hoosier H2O's we're no match.

Ended up winning overall by 13 seconds or so.
Attached Images

Ummpwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 11:34 AM   #16
NorthGeorgia

Drives: 2018 ZLE, 2023 C8, IMSA MX-5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ummpwr View Post
I haven't done a whole lot of rain driving but earlier this year I had a time trial with NASA at CMP & it was a 100% rain but I was determined to go. I work at Autometrics Motorsports and they had some "transport only" Michilen rain tires sitting around. I mounted them up and sure enough it rained all weekend... Boy were the tires AMAZING. It was like I was in the dry and everyone else was stuck in the mud. Even the guys with Hoosier H2O's we're no match.

Great Intel re Michelin, I have continental rains in trailer for races but think they r rebranded Hoosiers ,,,,,

When our heavy Camaro goes off In the wet with those wide tires, it is like a 50BMG, goes down-range with alot of energy for a looooooong way,,,,,

One of my favorite videos of respected driver in the rain in a low HP car, big screen enjoyment, still setting records today in his 60's, (born 58) , gives hope to us older folk

https://youtu.be/YdPyLlK6RQo

His rain compilation below,, should be required watch

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL...iWjpE8FDUEB4QV

Last edited by NorthGeorgia; 08-18-2021 at 12:03 PM.
NorthGeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 12:46 PM   #17
20Bluezl1

Drives: 2020 Zl1 A10 Riverside Blue
Quote:

Which Michelin tires where they? Did you run a square setup
20Bluezl1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 02:42 PM   #18
Mountain

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2016 1SS (previous)
I would do 19's or 18's in factory SS-type specs (8.5" or 9.0" front/9.5" rear). 245-265 front and 275-285 rear.

Oversteering in wet weather is going to be slower than understeer. Easier to recover and get back on it.

You want less width, for better cutting through water, less hyroplane-susceptive, and the smaller contact patch to be able generate heat better.

19's and 18's can give you a larger sidewall, which cushions the weight transfer (slows it down) and also offers more rolling resistance/slip angle to generate tire heat.

Tires?
Summer Only #1 Michelin PS4S #2 Conti ECS
UHP = #1 Goodyear Exhilarate #2 Conti DWS06+

This is all assuming an actual wet course, not just the surface wet/damp. Most of anything, outside of road racing, so autox and time trials, even most track day stuff, will want the tires to generate some heat as quick as possible.
Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 10:13 PM   #19
Ummpwr

Yes they were square tires 27/65/18 on square 18x10s

Not sure the exact model but they are Michilen wet slicks- they come on New Porsche cup cars as the "transport tire"

Here is my video, I started in last place Sunday morning because I didn't race Saturday.

https://youtu.be/nG4L99_Bo0k
Old 08-18-2021, 11:38 PM   #20
20Bluezl1

Drives: 2020 Zl1 A10 Riverside Blue
Quote:
Yes they were square tires 27/65/18 on square 18x10s

Not sure the exact model but they are Michilen wet slicks- they come on New Porsche cup cars as the "transport tire"

Here is my video, I started in last place Sunday morning because I didn't race Saturday.

https://youtu.be/nG4L99_Bo0k
That's awesome looks like you where glued to the track.
20Bluezl1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 05:11 PM   #21
Ummpwr

I actually have 4 of the tires available for sale if anyone is interested. $100 + Shipping a tire. Only used for 2 days in the wet.

27/65/18 Michilen wet slicks NON Dot.

These are extremely similar if not the exact same tires used in IMSA

Pm me if interested