Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Member Car Journals

Phastek Performance

Old 06-29-2021, 06:40 PM   #1
khcoaching

Drives: 2021 1SS 1LE
KHC 2021 SS 1LE - Track Car

I thought I would add a thread about my 2021 SS 1LE, as reading about other members builds really helped me form a decision to buy it, as well as how to modify it. So, a big thanks to everyone that have added their experiences on all the threads here!

My back ground includes 20+ years in the auto industry, as well as professional motorcycle racing and coaching. I started in dealership parts departments, did part malmanagement, service management and ultimately, general management. I got out of the car business to get into the motorcycle business because I was racing motorcycles (couldn’t afford car racing) and had bought a dealership. I had the dealership about 5 years and sold it as my motorcycle racing/coaching career was taking off. For the last 20+ years, I have made my living coaching motorcycle racers with car training a big part of the last 10 years or so. (Very little money in it, but a blessed life)

So….my 2021 SS 1LE. This is MY first track car. I have driven all sorts of cars on the track, but have never had one to call my own, as I couldn’t ever afford it. While I still can’t really afford it, screw it, it’s time and I am lucky to have access to quite a bit of track time to play with it. I’ve had my eye on the 1LEs since they first came out and my plan was to purchase a used Gen6 this year. As prices were going crazy, I was able to sell my truck for a good price and found – the last new one in my area for a good price. (2k off MSRP with the rebate that month)

Name:  2021 1LE-2.jpg
Views: 2642
Size:  172.6 KB

With my ultimate plan to make the car a NA version of the ZLE, I’ll do it in stages and document the changes to see what works and what doesn’t. The record keeping of the builds here on the site, really helped me and I hope to help others with what I go through. The stages will for sure have gaps in them, but I’ll try to get as much info as I can. Most of my driving will be at The Ridge in WA state and as my schedule opens up, hit as many West Coast tracks as I can, as well as some East Coast tracks at some point.

#1 Ridge Motorsports Park 1:51.44 (TC off)

I picked the car up on Thursday evening with 51 miles on it. I drove it home and then to the track the next day, as I was working with my M3 client and couldn’t help but bring it. Towards the end of the day, my client asked if I was going to take it on track, even though it had 181 miles on it. Hell yes! I went out in the slower group for 3 easy laps to get some heat in the brakes and came back in to let it cool. After a bit, I lowered the tire pressures to 30 (tires were warm) and went out for 2 hard laps and clicked off a 1:51.44, completely stock. (See track times for how that stacks up. That is a crazy time for literally driving it from the showroom)

#2 Ridge Motorsports Park 150.21 (TC off)

The only changes were the car had 600 or so miles on it and I had a “mild” track alignment done. Still all OE, including brake fluid and tires. I say mild because the shop had a hard time getting more than -1.5 out of it, even with us pulling on the wheel with the camber adjust bolt near out. The stock alignment was way out and the car drove amazingly better. I set the tires to 27 cold and did 2x15 min sessions. Temp was 80 degrees. The tires came in at 34H, except the RF which was 35H. For sure needs more camber, as the inside of the tires were barely worn. I really wanted a “49” with it all stock and I had a 49.6 going until I rushed an entry and got into the ABS…it’s there, but I didn’t have time for another session.

Name:  Camaro61421_2.jpg
Views: 2573
Size:  126.5 KB

Observations – The front-end grip is amazing when the front is loaded. I found it needs to be driven with a lot of force on corner entry to keep the front compressed and contact patch squashed. Exit grip was also very good, but I had to wait for the rear to set on initial throttle. Surprisingly little understeer, until I pushed hard with hot tires. Stock tires are good, but limited with the lack of rebound in long radius corners. My thoughts on setup were:

- The front end is too high
- Not enough front rebound
- The rear is too soft
- More camber front and rear needed
- Zero brake fade even with the stock fluid
- ABS comes in late, but very intrusively
- Power flattens out noticeably after 5800 rpm

Next outing will be on July 15th with a better alignment, brake fluid, ZLE subframe bushings, axle retainer recall done, GMPP CAI, plus a full service…….

Here is an AIM screenshot of the 1LE vs the M3c that I drive at times that has suspension and a square setup with A052... (I'm the driver for both)

Name:  KHC 1LEvsRRM3c.jpg
Views: 2588
Size:  159.3 KB

Last edited by khcoaching; 07-16-2021 at 12:05 AM.
khcoaching is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 10:37 PM   #2
Dabjbr

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE
Congrats on a beautiful car! Although our histories are not similar, the story about “it’s time” resonates.

Picked up my 1LE in October because… what am I waiting for? Been on the traffic 3 events and joust now starting similar mods.

Subscribed!
Dabjbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 03:27 AM   #3
Scottyz
2019 ZL1 1LE MY GOON

Drives: 1980 Z28 Big Red.
Very nice car and congratulations. I am looking forward to more updates.
Scottyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 12:50 PM   #4
eimarshall

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE Hyperblue
I really hope to run into to you at the track(metaphorically of course). I've only been tracking my 2018 for about 2 years now, but am really starting to get a feel for it. I just clicked off a 1:51.6 at RMP but with the new asphalt, I agree that a 1:49.xx is totally possible! I'd love to pick your brain on braking points and lines!
eimarshall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 12:54 PM   #5
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
looks good have fun be safe! hopefully you do better with the camaro over the m2 haha
Old 06-30-2021, 04:45 PM   #6
khcoaching

Quote:
Originally Posted by eimarshall View Post
I really hope to run into to you at the track(metaphorically of course). I've only been tracking my 2018 for about 2 years now, but am really starting to get a feel for it. I just clicked off a 1:51.6 at RMP but with the new asphalt, I agree that a 1:49.xx is totally possible! I'd love to pick your brain on braking points and lines!
I'll out the July 15-17 and Aug 23rd.....

Absolutely....I'll have a GoPro set up for my next time out as well as AIM DL data.

Ken
Old 06-30-2021, 04:47 PM   #7
khcoaching

Quote:
Originally Posted by kropscamaro16 View Post
looks good have fun be safe! hopefully you do better with the camaro over the m2 haha
The M3c is very capable, but the 1LE at a fraction of the cost will be 2-3 seconds faster, with very simple mods.

Ken
Old 06-30-2021, 04:52 PM   #8
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
my buddy just sold his 18 ss 1le to order up a m2 i told him hes dumb but whatever lol not even a c or cs !
Old 07-01-2021, 12:23 AM   #9
eimarshall

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE Hyperblue
Quote:
Originally Posted by khcoaching View Post
I'll out the July 15-17 and Aug 23rd.....

Absolutely....I'll have a GoPro set up for my next time out as well as AIM DL data.

Ken
Sweet! I just booked the 17th, with Turn2. See you there!!

Eddie
eimarshall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 04:32 AM   #10
peteric

Drives: 2016 camaro
One of the best looking track cars I've seen on this forum. Like it!
peteric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 05:53 AM   #11
khcoaching

Quote:
Originally Posted by eimarshall View Post
Sweet! I just booked the 17th, with Turn2. See you there!!

Eddie
Awesome! I'll be there with a student that day in my training car. (228i) I'll look for you.

Ken
Old 07-13-2021, 06:17 PM   #12
khcoaching

Picked the car up from the dealership today with the recall, service work, alignment and ZLE subframe bushings completed....The tech was able to a more aggressive alignment by grinding out the camber bolt holes. I didn't notice any difference in how it rides with the solid bushings. The new CAI calibration was a massive difference. Much smoother 0-30% throttle and seems to pull longer on top. Square wheels/tires also came in, but the extnded ARP bolts are on back order everywhere, so that will have to wait for next time.

Can't wait to try it this Thursday!

Ken
Old 07-13-2021, 08:01 PM   #13
Dabjbr

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by khcoaching View Post
Picked the car up from the dealership today with the recall, service work, alignment and ZLE subframe bushings completed....The tech was able to a more aggressive alignment by grinding out the camber bolt holes. I didn't notice any difference in how it rides with the solid bushings. The new CAI calibration was a massive difference. Much smoother 0-30% throttle and seems to pull longer on top. Square wheels/tires also came in, but the extnded ARP bolts are on back order everywhere, so that will have to wait for next time.

Can't wait to try it this Thursday!

Ken
Shocked to hear the dealership would grind down anything. What was the outcome? How much camber?
Dabjbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 09:15 PM   #14
khcoaching

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabjbr View Post
Shocked to hear the dealership would grind down anything. What was the outcome? How much camber?
He was able to get:

Front -2.5 Camber
Rear -1.5 Camber
Front and Rear Toe -.002 toe in

He said he could get -3 in the front, but only -1.5 in the rear. 1.5 delta is too much and I had him back off the front a bit.

The tech is super knowledgeable on Vettes and Camaros......coming from 20 years in the industry, I was impressed.

Ken