Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 06-23-2021, 10:33 AM   #1
joeyazzata29
j1ss

Drives: '21 2SS 1LE
2021 1LE mystery flashing CEL

PLEASE DELETE POSTED IN OTHER THREAD

MOVED TO https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=594047
I will update on this thread^ thanks

Last edited by joeyazzata29; 06-24-2021 at 10:58 AM. Reason: PLEASE DELETE POSTED IN OTHER THREAD
joeyazzata29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 10:39 AM   #2
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyazzata29 View Post
At a track day at Homestead in May I had flashing CEL, service rear axle, service stabiltrac etc... disconnect the battery all is fine and drove home.

Ran a track day w no issues a week later. Yesterday tho, same thing flashing CEL reset battery drove home no problems.

First time dealer had the car for 5 days said they couldn't find anything wrong

really annoying issue has this happened to anyone else?

Code P0300 first time, yesterday the CEL stopped flashing by the time I pulled off the track and no code stuck so idk the code from yesterday.

Only similarity I can think of between the two incidents is less than/around 1/4 tank of fuel. Fuel starvation?

Driving me crazy spending this much on this damn car and having these issues only at the track. Dealer cant replicate it bc you really have to push the car.
Flashing CEL is a misfire, P0300 is a generic misfire code...
Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...
2SS Capt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 10:42 AM   #3
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Sounds like there are mods the OP has not listed possibly causing the misfire.
And tire sizes pushing the limits of what the stabilitrack system will tolerate.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 10:44 AM   #4
joeyazzata29
j1ss

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrlz View Post
Sounds like there are mods the OP has not listed possibly causing the misfire.
And tire sizes pushing the limits of what the stabilitrack system will tolerate.
No dude this is a totally stock 2021 ss 1le
Old 06-23-2021, 10:45 AM   #5
joeyazzata29
j1ss

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SS Capt View Post
Flashing CEL is a misfire, P0300 is a generic misfire code...
Yeah first time it happened it was P0300 misfire and the car was misfiring, dealer found nothing wrong, but how does it go 3k miles 2 months and a full track day with zero issues.... and then happens again on track yesterday
Old 06-23-2021, 11:05 AM   #6
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Joey, you are not alone...
Similar problem here:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...misfire-2.html
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 11:13 AM   #7
joeyazzata29
j1ss

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrlz View Post
Joey, you are not alone...
Similar problem here:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...misfire-2.html
Yeah I see so many camaro and corvette threads like this but none just like mine, or none with resolutions. The dealer doesn't seem to want to spend any effort on it. Its so annoying because the car is totally fine until you bring it to the track
Old 06-23-2021, 11:46 AM   #8
Kmeleon

Drives: 2018 NFG 2SS 1LE!
Quote:
At a track day at Homestead in May I had flashing CEL, service rear axle, service stabiltrac etc... disconnect the battery all is fine and drove home.

Ran a track day w no issues a week later. Yesterday tho, same thing flashing CEL reset battery drove home no problems.

First time dealer had the car for 5 days said they couldn't find anything wrong

really annoying issue has this happened to anyone else?

Code P0300 first time, yesterday the CEL stopped flashing by the time I pulled off the track and no code stuck so idk the code from yesterday.
Only similarity I can think of between the two incidents is less than/around 1/4 tank of fuel. Fuel starvation?

Driving me crazy spending this much on this damn car and having these issues only at the track. Dealer cant replicate it bc you really have to push the car.
Is your car and Auto or manual? It could be a dfm lifter failure. Going through this with my 2021 Sierra right now
Kmeleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 11:48 AM   #9
joeyazzata29
j1ss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmeleon View Post
Is your car and Auto or manual? It could be a dfm lifter failure. Going through this with my 2021 Sierra right now
Auto, is your issue intermittent like this? And only happens under heavy load?
Old 06-23-2021, 01:16 PM   #10
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Flashing CEL is always a misfire. No other conditions can make the CEL flash.

Fuel starvation sounds likely. I personally never let the fuel level go below 1/4 tank at a track; it's just a habit from my RX-8 days.

There was also a guy running a 2.0T at an open lapping day I went to who also had some issues when his fuel level was very low.

As for lifter failure, I doubt it. I once worked on a Toyota Highlander V6 that somehow dropped a valve spring and no one in their right mind could just ignore the vibration. Also, manuals also have the AFM lifters, they are just never activated. Very few failures related to them are reported.

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 01:20 PM   #11
joeyazzata29
j1ss

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownJinX View Post
Flashing CEL is always a misfire. No other conditions can make the CEL flash.

Fuel starvation sounds likely. I personally never let the fuel level go below 1/4 tank at a track; it's just a habit from my RX-8 days.

There was also a guy running a 2.0T at an open lapping day I went to who also had some issues when his fuel level was very low.

As for lifter failure, I doubt it. I once worked on a Toyota Highlander V6 that somehow dropped a valve spring and no one in their right mind could just ignore the vibration. Also, manuals also have the AFM lifters, they are just never activated. Very few failures related to them are reported.

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

Dude thanks for the insight! yeah im thinking this could be it... I had a red SS that had no issues with low fuel, but im gonna try homestead with a heavier fuel load again next month and see what happens. it seems every time this has happened its been on a left turn... would that make sense for sloshing/fuel starvation?
Old 06-23-2021, 01:57 PM   #12
Kmeleon

Drives: 2018 NFG 2SS 1LE!
Quote:
Auto, is your issue intermittent like this? And only happens under heavy load?
Yes, gm has a bad batch of dfm lifters in the trucks and cars. So it's possible you're having an issue.
Kmeleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 02:22 PM   #13
joeyazzata29
j1ss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmeleon View Post
Yes, gm has a bad batch of dfm lifters in the trucks and cars. So it's possible you're having an issue.
DFM dynamic fuel management I have AFM active fuel management

This car doesn't seem to stay in v4 mode as often or get as good as milage compared to my 2020 SS or 2017 Silverado. V8 MPG seems good but when it goes to v4 mpg is not impressive. it has trouble staying in v4 at 50mph on a flat road.

I just dont know if its a mechanical issue because it only happens on the race track and a battery reset fixes the issue, no issue on the street.
Old 06-23-2021, 11:55 PM   #14
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Quote:
Dude thanks for the insight! yeah im thinking this could be it... I had a red SS that had no issues with low fuel, but im gonna try homestead with a heavier fuel load again next month and see what happens. it seems every time this has happened its been on a left turn... would that make sense for sloshing/fuel starvation?
I know in the RX-8, high-G left turns can cause trouble because the fuel tank is saddle-shaped and you can slosh the fuel to the side without the fuel pump(right side) if you pull a high-G left turn.

6th Gen Camaro also has a saddle-shaped fuel tank so it could happen, but I think newer cars all have an auxiliary pump to balance out the fuel level when it's sufficiently low. At least the photo shows something that resembles an auxiliary pump.

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote