Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

AWE Tuning

Old 02-13-2018, 01:20 PM   #43
mjk3888
"M1SS1LE"

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy G View Post
I did. I was trying to add to the subject. Some aftermarket lugs (like the one I got) might be the cause of the issue as well. After torque/retorque, light grease or heavy grease of the aftermarket lugs I still had the noise. With no other changes, I reinstalled the OE lugs and the clicking stopped. Anecdotal evidence, I would agree, but it worked for me.
Interesting. Maybe the tapered seat was a different fitment?
Old 07-09-2018, 12:13 AM   #44
Atlas24601

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
I recently noticed this clicking/ticking while turning on mine. Is this something thats just an annoyance or is anything actually being damaged or performance impacted?
Atlas24601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 10:36 AM   #45
rfm4000

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE SIM
i had the dealership fix mine, it never came back
rfm4000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 11:57 AM   #46
Boost Creep

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas24601 View Post
I recently noticed this clicking/ticking while turning on mine. Is this something thats just an annoyance or is anything actually being damaged or performance impacted?
Annoyance.
But you should have it taken care of so it doesn't mask a real problem in the future.

Had I not known about this issue, I would have thought it was the two piece front rotors as the cause, not the wheel to hub surface condition.
Old 07-09-2018, 10:56 PM   #47
Atlas24601

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boost Creep View Post
Annoyance.
But you should have it taken care of so it doesn't mask a real problem in the future.

Had I not known about this issue, I would have thought it was the two piece front rotors as the cause, not the wheel to hub surface condition.
Thanks. Ill have them take care of it next time Im in for service anyways rather than making an appointment just for this then.
Atlas24601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 05:59 AM   #48
Boost Creep

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
Mine only does it on the right side on hard left corners. Going to address both sides when I swap out the brake pads to less dusty set.
Old 07-10-2018, 06:47 PM   #49
TP355Z

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
Another vote here for the anti-sneeze (lol) fix. I did my car after listening to both fronts click away at Lime Rock last week. Yesterday I ran a new road course and the car was silent. To recap heres what I did...

Lightly sand rim where it meets hub with 800 to 1000 grit paper.
Same for hub.
Coat both with thin film of anti sieze ( I mean real thin )
Reassemble.
TP355Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 08:15 PM   #50
Nabush

Drives: 2017 C7 GS M7 / 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
Mine does it also. Like my 2017 C7 GrandSport did new. Solution was using some sandpaper to clean and brush all mating surfaces. Never came back.

Did the same thing on my 1LE today. Will see if this solves it like it did for the vette.
Nabush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 12:25 AM   #51
phaze_1le

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjk3888 View Post
I actually just posted this in a response to a thread below but I figured I should make a thread so someone could more easily find this when searching.

I had this clicking issue myself. Took the car to the dealer for the TSB and they cleaned the hub and the noise went away for about a month and came back. I then decided to tackle fixing it myself. I pulled the wheels off and noticed there was surface rust where I could see the dealer had originally cleaned the surface. I'm guessing once the surface rust formed the sound clicking returned. I figured if I cleaned it and covered it with something to prevent rust it could solve the issue, but the rumors had been that some grease dots from original manufacturing had caused the clicking in the first place. Non the less I had an idea I wanted to try out, so I cleaned the mating surfaces and put a small dab of anti seize on a paper towel and thinly spread it until all the shiny mating surfaces were covered. You will also want to spread a small amount on the actual hub lip that sits inside the opening on the wheel. Once you have done this reinstall the wheel and torque to the proper specs. Yes its that simple. It has been several months of daily driving, at least 4 days of AutoXing, and an hour long HARD RUN through the mountains. Still no clicking sounds have returned.

A few notes...

If you also put anti seize on your wheel studs be sure to decrease your lugnut torque accordingly instead of 140. I did and have run several AutoX's since with 120 torque and had zero issues. CHECK WHEEL LUG TORQUE AFTER A FEW DAYS, just in case it has backed off some. I personally check my wheel torque before and after every AutoX event.

You will likely have some anti seize that will get squeezed out and on your first drive it will splatter on the wheel barrel. After the first few drives and once the wheels are re torqued wash the wheel barrels to get it out. It won't hurt anything being there but it just looks messy.

BTW this photo is of some other 5 lug wheel but you get the point. It will be very obvious where you need to spread the anti-seize.

Try it out and post back with results.

Just did this and the clicking sound went away. The noise was driving me insane. I thought it was something with the suspension. Thank god I found this post. Will report back with my result in time. Thanks OP and everyone else.
phaze_1le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 07:21 AM   #52
mjk3888
"M1SS1LE"

Quote:
Originally Posted by phaze_1le View Post
Just did this and the clicking sound went away. The noise was driving me insane. I thought it was something with the suspension. Thank god I found this post. Will report back with my result in time. Thanks OP and everyone else.

I remember feeling the same way! I was relieved when I found a fix for it! Everyone was telling my just to re torque the lugs, but that wasn't fixing it for me.
Old 12-20-2018, 09:18 AM   #53
rickr9504

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS 1 LE
Glad I found this post. I was going crazy about that sound, even taking pictures of the inside of my wheels to see if anything was broken. I am taking it for my first oil change soon and I will have the dealer fix it. While I am perfectly capable of doing it myself, I will have them do it until it runs out of warranty. It is not acceptable on a $50K car and GM needs to step up.
Old 12-31-2018, 03:19 PM   #54
mjk3888
"M1SS1LE"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickr9504 View Post
Glad I found this post. I was going crazy about that sound, even taking pictures of the inside of my wheels to see if anything was broken. I am taking it for my first oil change soon and I will have the dealer fix it. While I am perfectly capable of doing it myself, I will have them do it until it runs out of warranty. It is not acceptable on a $50K car and GM needs to step up.
Be aware there is a TSB that only requires them to "clean" the hub surface and not to apply a light amount of grease to prevent the noise from returning. I had the dealer do the tsb and it came back a month later. It is key to get something on the hub to keep it from corroding again.
Old 12-31-2018, 06:01 PM   #55
TRZ06

Drives: 22' Porsche PDK GT4
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjk3888 View Post
Be aware there is a TSB that only requires them to "clean" the hub surface and not to apply a light amount of grease to prevent the noise from returning. I had the dealer do the tsb and it came back a month later. It is key to get something on the hub to keep it from corroding again.
I'm not sue what my dealer did, but it has been all good so far after 3 weeks. Hopefully it stays gone.

Previous:
18' NFG 2SS 1LE (ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings & Corsa Exhaust)
16' F80 M3 (Ohlin R/T Coilovers)
13' Audi TTRS (APR Stage 1, MSS Springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
06' 335i (KW V2 Coilovers)
03' C5 Z06
TRZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 10:42 PM   #56
OVRKLL

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE...makes me go YeeeHaw!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdb95z28 View Post
Check your owners manual, On my Gen 5, the owners manual specifically states to clean the mating surfaces and add a light coating of grease to the wheel hub area, not the flat mating surface but the raised "register" that centers the wheel. I use CRC brake lubricant.cWhile I have lubed the mating surfaces of my other vehicles (that see all weather duty) I do not on my Camaro. Lug studs are not to be lubricated.
FWIW - When I was tracking/autoxing my BMW Mroady, I always did this on the raised register. I used Liqui-Moly LM 508 Anti-seize compound. It's copper based and was my go to anti-seize for most things. I only applied when more was needed, as I removed my wheels after every event to flush my brake fluid, and check my pads.
However, I did this just so the removal of the wheel will be easier...never had a clicking/ticking sound. Then again it was a different vehicle too.
OVRKLL is offline   Reply With Quote