Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Nav, Radar, Electronics

Bigwormgraphix

Old 04-09-2016, 01:59 PM   #15
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris227 View Post
The front door speakers are bass.
Have you popped the door panels yet? I saw your post on the rear side speakers and they look to be 4" drivers. So what's in the doors... 6.5"?
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 02:14 PM   #16
chris227

Drives: 2020 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrlz View Post
Have you popped the door panels yet? I saw your post on the rear side speakers and they look to be 4" drivers. So what's in the doors... 6.5"?
Haven't got there yet. I think 5x7 or 6x9 i believe. There was a pic of someone on here replacing the accent piece, Thats where i saw it. I plan on doing my doors in about 2 weeks. so i can give a better answer then.

Last edited by chris227; 04-09-2016 at 02:27 PM.
chris227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 02:02 PM   #17
JonGSA

Drives: 2016 2SS Hyper Blue
A small thread bump to see if anyone has had any luck tweaking the Bose system.

But to throw my 2 cents in, it seems the imaging is VERY dependent on where your head is in the car. I was at a light other other day and was moving my head around. Closer to the steering wheel, more back to the headrest, higher lower.....etc. People must of though i was on something. .... But if i put my head back more towards the headrest....it sounded a little better and more normal.

If they can release an update to the stereo...they should throw in more options and settings. Bass/Mid/Treble PLUS Subwoofer and dash levels. Also enable/disable any sound DSP or cancelling. I have the bass in the middle and its still boomy.

Its the one and only thing about this car that I don't like. I hate BOSE....always did and this isn't helping me change my mind either.

Other money pits:
'13 S1000RR
'11 R1200 GS Adventure
'01 HD Sporty 1250
JonGSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 07:37 AM   #18
shewstring

Drives: 2016 Convertible 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
I have a friend that's really accomplished with bose and he set it up this way and it does sound about the best for me :
Bass and mid one notch plus from middle
Treble mid

Fader one tap to the front.
Glen e, thanks for the tip. This setting does clean things up. I had the +4 bass, +4 treble, and mid at neutral setting before. Definite improvement moving to what you suggested.

shewstring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 06:51 AM   #19
ctrlz

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonGSA View Post
it seems the imaging is VERY dependent on where your head is in the car. I was at a light other other day and was moving my head around.

Also enable/disable any sound DSP or cancelling. I have the bass in the middle and its still boomy.

Its the one and only thing about this car that I don't like. I hate BOSE....always did and this isn't helping me change my mind either.
No surprise. Amar Bose was all about psychoacoustics. In this small cabin it would be more noticeable. There will be a sweet spot.
Old 04-25-2016, 10:12 AM   #20
mruhlen

Drives: GMC Highrider
This explains the Bose "Clean Sheet Approach" for designing automotive audio systems:

http://www.bose-automotive.co.kr/flv...tapproach.html
mruhlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 12:03 PM   #21
ctrlz

^^ Thanks for that.
Old 04-25-2016, 12:49 PM   #22
63falcondude

Drives: 16 Camaro, 11 Stryker, 00 Explorer
Bumped up Bass and Treble. Fader to the back one notch. Don't remember the exact amounts off hand.

1100 12/14/2015
3000 1/8/2016 (TPW 2/1)
3800 2/1/2016
5000 3/5/2016
63falcondude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 04:36 PM   #23
mruhlen

Drives: GMC Highrider
One more short video on Bose designing sound systems for specific cars . . . in this case, GM:

https://vimeo.com/160942498
mruhlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 06:09 PM   #24
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS, Jeep JKU Rubicon
Quote:
A small thread bump to see if anyone has had any luck tweaking the Bose system.

But to throw my 2 cents in, it seems the imaging is VERY dependent on where your head is in the car. I was at a light other other day and was moving my head around. Closer to the steering wheel, more back to the headrest, higher lower.....etc. People must of though i was on something. .... But if i put my head back more towards the headrest....it sounded a little better and more normal.

If they can release an update to the stereo...they should throw in more options and settings. Bass/Mid/Treble PLUS Subwoofer and dash levels. Also enable/disable any sound DSP or cancelling. I have the bass in the middle and its still boomy.

Yeah, the bass is indeed boomy. Not what I prefer.
Old 05-03-2016, 07:31 AM   #25
JonGSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by mruhlen View Post
One more short video on Bose designing sound systems for specific cars . . . in this case, GM:

https://vimeo.com/160942498
Interesting video, but what made me laugh was the one of the last lines about how the sound is all around you and immersive. Apparently they forgot this MO when designing the 2SS system. The majority of the sound comes through the dash. The rears almost sound nonexistent at times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
Yeah, the bass is indeed boomy. Not what I prefer.
At least its not just me. The system has bass....but just at all the wrong frequencies and curves.

This is what pisses me off about Bose the most. Their level of sound customization is too small. (Some by design with the actual speaker design and placement and some by their "Apple" attitude which revolves around "We know more than you do and this is what we think is best for you")

They almost build their systems (anything, car, home, headphones...) around "light" music. With soundstages and pre-selected EQ'ing to compliment such music. So I'm sure if I were to tune into a jazz or classical station on XM, it might be alright.

But guess what bose....not everyone listens to one type of music. Case in point, I like to listen a lot of stuff but mostly rock/metal/classic rock/some electronic...etc. The vocals come out of the front/dash almost too clear (I'll give it that). But certain frequencies are either missing or are gained up too much. So say for example....80's metal where it's alot of mid's and trebles, but not too much low end. I find the sound too tinny and gutless. If i up the bass slider, I don't gain any substantial and listenable low end. And if I do, it gets washed out by the "boomy" pre-selected and gained up frequencies.

Or if I listen to something more modern that has a much fuller sound to it, it's still a no win situation. It might have too much treble, then if i kick down the trebles it starts to completely lose its clarity and vocals. The mid slider almost doesn't so much at all. And the bass is again boomy with no punch or low end.

I know it is what it is, but im not dumping money into changing the sound system out. If i had a realistic wish, I wish Bose/GM would release an update to MyLink with more sound customization options. At least have list of music genre types with thier predefined sound processing maps and then we can tweak the trev/mid/bass around them. But chances are that might be a 2018 feature and us early Gen6er's are gonna get nothing.

End rant....

Other money pits:
'13 S1000RR
'11 R1200 GS Adventure
'01 HD Sporty 1250
Old 05-03-2016, 08:55 AM   #26
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Quote:
Interesting video, but what made me laugh was the one of the last lines about how the sound is all around you and immersive. Apparently they forgot this MO when designing the 2SS system. The majority of the sound comes through the dash. The rears almost sound nonexistent at times.

At least its not just me. The system has bass....but just at all the wrong frequencies and curves.

This is what pisses me off about Bose the most. Their level of sound customization is too small. (Some by design with the actual speaker design and placement and some by their "Apple" attitude which revolves around "We know more than you do and this is what we think is best for you")

They almost build their systems (anything, car, home, headphones...) around "light" music. With soundstages and pre-selected EQ'ing to compliment such music. So I'm sure if I were to tune into a jazz or classical station on XM, it might be alright.

But guess what bose....not everyone listens to one type of music. Case in point, I like to listen a lot of stuff but mostly rock/metal/classic rock/some electronic...etc. The vocals come out of the front/dash almost too clear (I'll give it that). But certain frequencies are either missing or are gained up too much. So say for example....80's metal where it's alot of mid's and trebles, but not too much low end. I find the sound too tinny and gutless. If i up the bass slider, I don't gain any substantial and listenable low end. And if I do, it gets washed out by the "boomy" pre-selected and gained up frequencies.

Or if I listen to something more modern that has a much fuller sound to it, it's still a no win situation. It might have too much treble, then if i kick down the trebles it starts to completely lose its clarity and vocals. The mid slider almost doesn't so much at all. And the bass is again boomy with no punch or low end.

I know it is what it is, but im not dumping money into changing the sound system out. If i had a realistic wish, I wish Bose/GM would release an update to MyLink with more sound customization options. At least have list of music genre types with thier predefined sound processing maps and then we can tweak the trev/mid/bass around them. But chances are that might be a 2018 feature and us early Gen6er's are gonna get nothing.

End rant....
It isn't just you. I would prefer clarity and definition in the low end instead of amorphous booming. Maybe there is a way to put an EQ before the speakers somehow.
Old 05-03-2016, 09:37 AM   #27
JonGSA

Yeah, I looked into that and there are ton's of sound processors, equalizers, etc...out there. But that's a quite an expensive undertaking. The few I looked at, all convert the speaker level inputs into line level inputs, while EQ'ing them in the process. Not bad....but since the outputs are line level, we'll need an amplifier to boost the sound back to speaker level outputs. Amps need more wiring for power and tap into the control circuit....which might overpower the stock speakers, so I might need new speakers too...

My biggest gripe, is that my 2SS is a lease. So hacking apart the factory Bose connections,amps...and wiring up possibly 2 grand+ worth of gear, just to correct the sound, that's not in my cards.

Now if someone were to design a module that uses the factory connections out the Bose amp, and A) is directly swapable with the bose amp with no issues or B) can be put in after the Bose amp and corrects the sound, before the speakers .....I'd be sold.

Maybe I'm being too critical of the bose system, but coming from my 2008 A4 which just had the basic sound system in it, it's disappointing. I put an aftermarket headunit in it 3 years ago to get iphone functionality and it sounded even better. No sub, just the stock rear deck little woofer, stock speakers, no amp.

Other money pits:
'13 S1000RR
'11 R1200 GS Adventure
'01 HD Sporty 1250
Old 05-03-2016, 09:50 AM   #28
Emoto
Sure, why not?

I find that if I back off the bass a bit, it isn't quite as boomy, but it still doesn't provide a clean bass sound.