Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Nav, Radar, Electronics

Phastek Performance

Old 05-26-2020, 04:38 PM   #1
porkchop express

Drives: 2020 Camaro ss 1le
2020 android auto question

Just stared using android set up with the usb cord. The waze app keeps stuttering and sometimes it won't make calls when requested.

Anyone have some tips?
porkchop express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 04:54 PM   #2
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
android auto on the head unit is just a video signal that uses existing bluetooth interfaces. If you're having poor performance (other than basic connectivity problems) it's all on your phone.

I'd begin thinking your phone is overheating due to running some other background app. Android auto is cpu intensive and (if connected by cable or wireless charger) is charging the battery at the same time which increases heat. You can check your battery usage setting on your phone to see if there are any high cpu usage apps other than android auto and maybe waze while using android auto after some time. Any kind of powersaving function that goes beyond normal use that may be active while AA is working may need to be set so it is not active when android auto is working. AA has a setting to keep the display active when in use, you may need to enable this to keep such power saving features from activating.

If the battery usage breakdown doesn't make anything obvious, then are you using wifi or a cable to connect to AA? maybe you have a poor wifi connection or your device is trying to go into low power mode and bandwidth is suffering due to that.

Android auto uses your car's microphone to listen so if you have poor sound proofing around it like some camaro's do and you get a lot of wind-noise around the mic, it can make it hard for it to register your voice. You can test this by starting a call and having the other person on the line tell you if they hear a lot of wind noise when you are travelling at speed or in whatever situation you seem to experience the unresponsive call situation.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 07:28 PM   #3
porkchop express

Thanks for the in depth explanation. I'll check out some of my phone settings. I know waze works good just using the phone. I'm using a cord for the first time.
Old 05-27-2020, 10:41 AM   #4
SSport16

Drives: 2016 Garnet Red Camaro 2SS
Make sure you use an OEM USB cable, 3rd party ones are usually crap.

1100 Status - 7/24/15 (Ordered)
3800 Status - 10/13/15 (Built)
6000 Status - 12/22/15 (Delivered)
SSport16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 12:13 PM   #5
porkchop express

Anyone else have any problems like this or any other suggestions? I have a galaxy s8. I don't see any settings that would slow my phone. Waze Works perfectly just using the phone. Plus, People i speak to on the hands free say it sounds like crap. I use bluetooth on my other cars and it sounds fine.