Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 01-22-2020, 09:36 AM   #15
laynlo15

Drives: 2022 Lt1 A10
Its more then 400 or 500. We just pulled the pan off mine before we pulled the motor to look at the bearings thinking it might just be the oil pump, it wasn't. I have a lift in my shop and it was a pretty good job. Now if you have someone working for 50 bucks an hour you might be able to do it for 400 to 500 but no shops that I'm aware of work for that anymore. We tried lifting the motor a little but still couldn't bet it past aluminum brace and finally had to remover the front cover because the pickup tube that's in the oil pan. Plus everything underneath the engine has to come down. The aluminum brace, all the plastic and it won't clear the steering rack so you have to unbolt that plus I forgot the starter needs to be removed. I'd check t make sure its not the front crank seal.
2022 Lt1 6.2 A10, Maggie 2300, THPSI Port Inj/10 rib, Rotofab, E, Nickey, SCOL, Griptech, RC Bandits, Hoosiers/MT 9.80@142.96 1.44 60ft, 6.34@112 707/669 RWHP/TRQ. 16SS Maggie 2650 9.41@147 1.35 60ft, 5.99@119. 16 C7 A8 10.90@128 Bolt on stuff
laynlo15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 10:11 AM   #16
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpevans View Post
First thing I would do is get under the car use brake cleaner and get all the oil residue cleaned up. Then I would drive the car for a week and get back under and trace it down. I would not trust the dealer if they didn't take the time to clean it up, could be anything and might be a simple fix. Find it hard to believe the pan is leaking at 60k miles.
Agree.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 11:43 AM   #17
ssmofo

Drives: Chevy Camaro
Tighten the pan bolts up some, or at least check them.
ssmofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 02:45 PM   #18
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
8-10 hours to get an oil pan off and it only consisting of a couple simple steps aren't compatible statements.

It sounds like the poster above is accurate in that you have to remove a bunch of crap and it takes a long time and people who are saying you just need to do 1-2 things are oversimplifying the process and are being misleading.

either way, car ownership progress right? Remember the archaic times when you could access your oil pan without removing anything and didn't require more than an hour to remove and install a new gasket? I can't wait until i need to take the car into a dealer for new wipers because the blades are vin encoded.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 03:17 PM   #19
Hops

Drives: 2019 1ss 1le, blue wrap
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellsafemode View Post
8-10 hours to get an oil pan off and it only consisting of a couple simple steps aren't compatible statements.

It sounds like the poster above is accurate in that you have to remove a bunch of crap and it takes a long time and people who are saying you just need to do 1-2 things are oversimplifying the process and are being misleading.

either way, car ownership progress right? Remember the archaic times when you could access your oil pan without removing anything and didn't require more than an hour to remove and install a new gasket? I can't wait until i need to take the car into a dealer for new wipers because the blades are vin encoded.

It sounds like the bmw e90 oil pan gasket replacement. I think it was at least $2000 at the dealer. Someone wrote up a DIY, and it was intensive. Luckily, i got rid my bmw before i had to do it. I thought i escaped this sort of thing with the Camaro, but i guess more cars are like this with the oil pan access.
Hops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 06:02 PM   #20
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heater View Post
The blades are vin encoded? LOL this gave me a good chuckle, i hear the wiper fluid is specifically formulated for our Camaro's too, but you need to get the correct formulation for your model or it catches on fire!

Not sure why that even matters and curious where you got this info from and what it means...
it's sarcastic hyperbole ...which was pretty obvious by tone of the last paragraph and the future tense aspect.

But i wouldn't put it past them to add some stupid rain sensing technology into the wiper blades themselves just to ensure that you have to buy their replacement parts .... just like how more and more parts of the car are done the same way.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 06:53 PM   #21
kgf

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
I have been looking at the same issue on my car. It is incredible to think that GM can't assemble a car that won't leak after 50,000 miles. My Toyota truck has 220,000 miles and doesn't leak a drop. In all fairness, my truck doesn't perform anything like the Camaro.

I have a repair manual that shows the steps. All the steps are way beyond what I can do in my garage without a lift. Also appears to be at least 10 hours with a lift and the proper tools.

Lowering the cradle alone is a big job.

Oil Pan Gasket.pdf

Driveline Cradle.pdf
kgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 07:18 PM   #22
Need4Camaro

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS & '99 Camaro Z28
Damn. I for some reason had the imagination that these cars would be much easier to remove the engine than the old 4th Gen F-Body.
Need4Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 02:13 PM   #23
PhantomV8

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Hey all!

Just wanted to update everyone on this situation in case any one else has a similar issue.

I went to a different dealership in a different city and told them that I was leaking oil without mentioning what the other dealership had "found". They told me some of the bolts on the oil pan werent tightened all the way and that a couple needed to be replaced.

$130 to get the underside cleaned up and to have all the oil pan bolts tightened/replaced.

I know this might still be kind of expensive for tightening bolts, but it's a hell of a lot cheaper than the near $2,000 that I was originally quoted.

Thanks again for all the posts!
PhantomV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 02:39 PM   #24
Coded4SS

Drives: 2020 1SS 1le
I would reach out to GM get a rep to talk to. Pull all the threads together here with people having the same issue. I bet they will cover it. If not open up a BBB complaint online. I bet GM will cover it after that.
Coded4SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 07:20 PM   #25
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
You are only 2,000 miles over your powertrain warranty. I would contact GM customer service (they used to be on here) and nicely ask if they might help as the dealer quoting a VERY high price for the repair. Remembering you are technically out of warranty being nice and asking for help is probably the way to go.

If not find a trustworthy mechanic.

And if you are mechanically inclined, I’d follow the suggestions of cleaning everything up, torque bolts to spec and see what happens.
Old 02-26-2020, 07:32 PM   #26
SixgenSix

Drives: 2020 SHOCK SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomV8 View Post
Hey all!

Just wanted to update everyone on this situation in case any one else has a similar issue.

I went to a different dealership in a different city and told them that I was leaking oil without mentioning what the other dealership had "found". They told me some of the bolts on the oil pan werent tightened all the way and that a couple needed to be replaced.

$130 to get the underside cleaned up and to have all the oil pan bolts tightened/replaced.

I know this might still be kind of expensive for tightening bolts, but it's a hell of a lot cheaper than the near $2,000 that I was originally quoted.

Thanks again for all the posts!

Great, that's good to hear!
SixgenSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 10:42 PM   #27
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
cant just tighten up the bolts on LT motors. they cheaped out and use rvt gasket maker instead of gaskets. Its wet when put on and bonds to both pieces. It will still leak. the pan has to be removed and new rtv put on.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 07:33 PM   #28
CygnusX

Drives: Camaro 2SS 2017
last week while doing new diff oil, i noticed that my 17 camaro 2ss would have a little drop of oil hanging off the oil pan, the way it looked my bet was on a broken seal on the oil drain screw, my driveway is new and there was barely a stain

i had just had the car serviced a few weeks ago, so i called dealership and explained and they said just bring it in they would do an oilchange and replace the screw free of charge...10qt of mobil1 0w40 is after all about 100 bucks in just oil....

so i dropped off the car and they get it on a lift...i was waiting there as it should be a quick thing ....they came and got me, to show that the leak wasnt from the drain screw....there was oil on a lot of screwheads, and would take some time to figure out where it was coming from (UV dye, and idle for 45 minutes)....so i went home

a few hours later they called and said it would be $4K+tax to fix it as they would have to support engine from above, and take the front cradle off, to reseal it....that means an alignment has to be done + and since it wasnt their fault i would have to pay for the oilchange as well

i asked how much to just tighten the screws and they said 265 hmmm not having 4K, i told them to just do that....then i could always call around for estimates, once my heart rate came down

then i saw on this forum someone say call GM HQ....i thought "what do i have to loose"....talked to a nice gentleman...he pointed out the car was 2 months out of warranty, but with only 20K miles on the ODO he would put me in touch with representative in my state, that would call me within 48hrs

2 hours later i get a call from dealership, gm had talked to them and gm was going to pick up the bill for the oil pan, but i would have to pay for diagnostic+alignment+oilchange with tax and all $765 , i was so relieved ! 765 is a much easier pill to swallow
Attached Images

CygnusX is offline   Reply With Quote