Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 01-09-2020, 08:01 PM   #15
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hops View Post
This concerns me as much as declining Camaro sales. A few years ago i remember reading several articles saying something like "boomers aging out of sport cars will depress sales". Is that still the consensus? It seems now, more are saying it's suvs, mpgs... etc.

hotlap, thanks for the analysis!
At an entry level of mid thirties for V6 models, and low to mid forties for the V8's, the "boomers" are really the only ones that can afford one of these as a 'toy'. Although the average new car price is mid thirties, most younger folks can't do the 'toy' car yet, and a Camaro won't carry kids and groceries at the same time. So, yes, that assessment is pretty much correct, generally speaking.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 08:40 PM   #16
DC5

Drives: 2019 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Not this BS again. Mrs. Number 3 has a degree in marketing, was the marketing manager of Corvette (which Camaro volumes have fallen to) and with data that suggests there is no business case that says TV ad $ increases sales enough to pay for the ads.

Your degree was in what? You refer to Marketing 101? Oh and to be clear, advertising is a mere subset of marketing.

If I spend $20,000,000 to develop, film and buy air time for ads, how many more Camaros do I have to sell to break even?

And Camaro is not Coke. Everyone is a target for a Cola drink. A limited capacity coupe has a much more limited market. Mapuche more limited.
DC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 08:40 PM   #17
vtirocz

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlap View Post
All three are down for the year

Since 2015, sales have fallen for each...
37.7% Camaro
40.8% Mustang
8.1% Challenger

Total segment is down 31.8%
Good summary! Is that Challenger alone or "Challenger + Charger" sales? If Challenger alone, that is shockingly good for such an old platform.

Best 1/4 Mile: 12.24 @ 115.9 mph
vtirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 04:05 AM   #18
Red Chief

Drives: 2020 LT1 Black
Quote:
Not this BS again. Mrs. Number 3 has a degree in marketing, was the marketing manager of Corvette (which Camaro volumes have fallen to) and with data that suggests there is no business case that says TV ad $ increases sales enough to pay for the ads.

Your degree was in what? You refer to Marketing 101? Oh and to be clear, advertising is a mere subset of marketing.

If I spend $20,000,000 to develop, film and buy air time for ads, how many more Camaros do I have to sell to break even?

And Camaro is not Coke. Everyone is a target for a Cola drink. A limited capacity coupe has a much more limited market. Mapuche more limited.
I guess Dodge didn't get your memo before they ran a super bowl ad for the Challenger. Maybe you should email them this time before they make that mistake again.
Red Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 07:49 AM   #19
Hops

Drives: 2019 1ss 1le, blue wrap
I kind of think the Camaro is it self marketing as it's sort of a halo-like car. I mean if i'm doing my math right, and assuming a 5% profit* on an average $30000 Camaro, then the Camaro it roughly $1 for every $150 profit at GM.

*i have no idea what the profit is on the Camaro, just using taking a crude guess, please correct me!

$11000000000(gm profit 2018)/

50000(camaros)*$30000(price/camaro)*.05(profit)=147
Hops is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 08:29 AM   #20
Baldilocks01SS

Drives: SEARCHING
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hops View Post
I kind of think the Camaro is it self marketing as it's sort of a halo-like car. I mean if i'm doing my math right, and assuming a 5% profit* on an average $30000 Camaro, then the Camaro it roughly $1 for every $150 profit at GM.

*i have no idea what the profit is on the Camaro, just using taking a crude guess, please correct me!

$11000000000(gm profit 2018)/

50000(camaros)*$30000(price/camaro)*.05(profit)=147
Manufacturer profit margins average from like 13-20ish%. Not sure where the Camaro falls.
Baldilocks01SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 09:22 AM   #21
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Chief View Post
I guess Dodge didn't get your memo before they ran a super bowl ad for the Challenger. Maybe you should email them this time before they make that mistake again.
But Dodge has nothing else though. Dodge is the Challenger, Charger, Journey, Durango and Caravan and almost every dodge ad features the Challenger Charger and Durango that's 3 of their 5 vehicles. And even when Dodge runs an ad featuring those vehicles the end of the ad here in the Chicago area usually features lease rates for the Caravan or Journey. Dodge doesn't really have a choice when they advertise because they don't have anything else.
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 12:55 PM   #22
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
But Dodge has nothing else though. Dodge is the Challenger, Charger, Journey, Durango and Caravan and almost every dodge ad features the Challenger Charger and Durango that's 3 of their 5 vehicles. And even when Dodge runs an ad featuring those vehicles the end of the ad here in the Chicago area usually features lease rates for the Caravan or Journey. Dodge doesn't really have a choice when they advertise because they don't have anything else.
Dodge advertises the performance of Challenger and Charger to draw interest to the entire brand. Like Pontiac did with "wide track" and "we build excitement".

I don't have a degree in marketing, and I'm not a marketing manger, but a dollar spent advertising a Camaro or Corvette can also draw interest and sell other vehicles in the program.

Edit: I believe I read here -from an old sage- that the Corvette sells itself and doesn't need marketing ...or was it advertising.

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 01:07 PM   #23
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Dodge advertises the performance of Challenger and Charger to draw interest to the entire brand. Like Pontiac did with "wide track" and "we build excitement".

I don't have a degree in marketing, and I'm not a marketing manger, but a dollar spent advertising a Camaro or Corvette can also draw interest and sell other vehicles in the program.
I totally agree it could. Or they could do like Ford did last year. They had an ad that featured the Mustang a ton and at the end showed all their SUVs. Just everyone wants a camaro specific ad like dodge does, I was just saying Dodge doesn't really have a choice because they don't have anything else really
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 02:00 PM   #24
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
I totally agree it could. Or they could do like Ford did last year. They had an ad that featured the Mustang a ton and at the end showed all their SUVs. Just everyone wants a camaro specific ad like dodge does, I was just saying Dodge doesn't really have a choice because they don't have anything else really
Totally agree. The Dodge lineup is pretty slim and they've been starved of development dollars. They have done a good job of making lemonade out of those lemons.

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 08:47 PM   #25
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Totally agree. The Dodge lineup is pretty slim and they've been starved of development dollars. They have done a good job of making lemonade out of those lemons.
Other than Carger/Challenger they have the ancient Journey, a Durango that is intriguing with as an SRT and a mini van.
Old 01-10-2020, 08:55 PM   #26
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:

Edit: I believe I read here -from an old sage- that the Corvette sells itself and doesn't need marketing ...or was it advertising.
GM has reeeeeems if data that tells them how many dollars they would make if they did or did not advertise Camaro.

Part of the issue is beyond the normal “if you advertise, they will come” belief. GM knows they built a car that appeals to Camaro owners. But due to the (light fuse here) mistake of no rear seat, no trunk and poor visibility, GM knows that advertising has limited potential. As awesome as the Gen6 is (and it is) it’s a crappy coupe. Everyone on this sight argues mightily but the SS is good enough that enthusiasts forgive and ignore these flaws. People looking for a V6 or L4 are less forgiving. So advertising to get people into the showroom is likely to result in not enough added sales to even pay off the cost of commercials and air time.

GM people are not stupid. They just know better. If they could sell enough more cars to pay for advertising they would have done it already.
Old 01-11-2020, 12:49 AM   #27
Deputy Dog
Banned

Drives: 2017 Super Sport Cam.
Quote:

I just bought gas today. A lady said my car looked good and asked me if it was a camaro. I said yes, she said she had not seen a Camaro in years. And people wonder why they aren't selling. You can sell anything if its marketed and advertised correctly. GM no longer knows how to market. No one will beat a path to your door if they don't know what you have to offer. Dodge knows how to best use ad dollars perhaps GM should consult with Dodge since the Challenger now outsells Camaro.

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/Zk3g/dodge-b...ll-goldberg-t2

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/AkS1/dodge-d...rothers-donuts

very creative ads....something GM lacks. I 'm not in the market for a new car but if I were and saw this ad I would be paying my Dodge dealer a visit for a closer look. And some people don't even know the Camaro is back in production. Its called stupidity for lack of marketing.

Last edited by Deputy Dog; 01-11-2020 at 01:02 AM.
Deputy Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 06:27 AM   #28
Red Chief

Drives: 2020 LT1 Black
Quote:
This commercial only had the Challenger in it. Nothing else in their lineup was mentioned. Super bowl ad slots are not cheap.

Red Chief is offline   Reply With Quote