Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro Convertible

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 06-09-2018, 06:28 PM   #1
CamaroSS50

Drives: 2017 Camaro Convertible SS Fifty
Top destroys 1/2 panel?

Posted this in the general forum, so figured I post it for those who have a convertible as well.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showp...72&postcount=1

Put top up, as it was going up it caught some plastic piece and proceeded to rip up the interior section (pics are in the above thread).

Was scheduled to bring my convertible in today, so this was an added issue.

Parts had to be special ordered, so I get to drive around this for a few days.

Really no solid answer on this, other than possible warping.

Really concerned this is going to happen to the other side at some point.

CamaroSS50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 06:39 PM   #2
somedude

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT Convertible Auto V6
Thanks for the information, will be looking out for this issue.
somedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 08:56 AM   #3
FASTNUF

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10 White Vert
Thanks for sharing.
So far at 1 year no issues on both of mine and I dropped the top as much as possible. I remember reading about someone having a problem about 10 months ago so each time I use my top, I have a habit to look over my shoulder to ensure that they are still there and functioning. I'm sure they will fix it. The top plastic panels that slide are spring loaded, so possible a spring broke and when it didn't slide out of the way, it could have forced it enough to break. Just a thought. Good luck and let us know what they end using and why they feel it did what it did.
FASTNUF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 11:42 PM   #4
Drsagacity

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS Nightfall Gray vert
Yep. This is a known problem and there was another thread on this very thing. I saw it happening on the passenger side after reading the thread so I took it in to be fixed as a recall item. Since then, it has been perfect.

When I took it in, to make sure it didn't cause a problem (like yours), the mechanic ripped off the part that slides in...he said that would prevent any damage until the parts came in. . .and he was right.

2018 Corvette Z06 vert- Black
To be tuned by JRE Racing
TBD performance
Drsagacity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 12:51 PM   #5
Jerry's 2LT

Drives: 2LT, Blue Velvet, Kalahari, Convert
Is there any update on this fix? I am seeing a separation as in one of the photos and hearing a loud cracking sound when raising the top.
Old 06-27-2018, 03:40 PM   #6
SSaltlife

Drives: '17 2SS Convertible 6M
I am interested in how the top pieces that slide are supposed to work- my passenger side, it will stay in the open position when I lower the top. The driver side, I am assuming it opens and then closes again. When the top is down, what position are they supposed to be in? I am taking mine in tomorrow about the back window issue and will also add this to the list. Very nervous after my '12 top gremlins...
SSaltlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 03:48 PM   #7
Jerry's 2LT

The sliding flaps are supposed to be closed while the top is down and retract when the top is raised. The raising seems to be the problem with my car. It looks like something is causing the plastic cover to raise and separate.
Old 06-27-2018, 04:42 PM   #8
CamaroSS50

Looking for an update from me?

Part just came in, so need to schedule time to get the car to them.

I am somewhat concerned as the other side makes a crunching noise as well, but has not broken or lifted that panel. Yet.

Hoping to get it in by the end of the week as I have other issues that need to be addressed.

Old 06-27-2018, 08:25 PM   #9
Jerry's 2LT

CamaroSS50, what was the part that they had to order? I haven't seen anything broken on mine as far as the plastic bits are concerned, just an increase in the noise and a lifting of the piece that holds the flap.
Old 06-27-2018, 08:51 PM   #10
CamaroSS50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry's 2LT View Post
CamaroSS50, what was the part that they had to order? I haven't seen anything broken on mine as far as the plastic bits are concerned, just an increase in the noise and a lifting of the piece that holds the flap.
The part # is 084397869 (description is "panel")

Old 06-28-2018, 12:00 AM   #11
Jerry's 2LT

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSS50 View Post
The part # is 084397869 (description is "panel")
From your description of what happened in the thread you cited, I am in the same boat. It seems to me that simply replacing the broken plastic "panel" won't solve the problem as to why it broke in the first place. There has to be an underlying issue.

I'm curious if your top acted like mine, specifically, my top when lowering would unlatch, pause for several seconds, move 3/4 of the way and then drop hard the rest of the way. Putting it up it would get 3/4 of the way and then drop hard onto the windshield frame.

In looking at several videos of the top opening and closing, the actions are smooth and easy, no sudden drops or pauses.
Old 06-28-2018, 12:27 AM   #12
CamaroSS50

Unfortunately it happened after owning it for a few days. Not enough time for me to gauge if anything was wrong or even know what was right.

It was horrible sounding. A loud cracking noise.

Now, on the driver's side, as the top goes up, it seems it is grinding, like the motor is struggling.

It will be in the shop by the end of the week, and I anticipate for quite some time thanks to all the issues, which I associate with it being on a lot for so long and not maintained.

Still a beauty though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry's 2LT View Post
From your description of what happened in the thread you cited, I am in the same boat. It seems to me that simply replacing the broken plastic "panel" won't solve the problem as to why it broke in the first place. There has to be an underlying issue.

I'm curious if your top acted like mine, specifically, my top when lowering would unlatch, pause for several seconds, move 3/4 of the way and then drop hard the rest of the way. Putting it up it would get 3/4 of the way and then drop hard onto the windshield frame.

In looking at several videos of the top opening and closing, the actions are smooth and easy, no sudden drops or pauses.

Old 06-28-2018, 10:49 AM   #13
SSaltlife

Drives: '17 2SS Convertible 6M
Took mine in today for back window issue and they also looked at the sliding panel. Mine was completely missing the spring so when I take it in for my top replacement, they will also fix this issue. Fingers crossed that this will be a smooth process.
SSaltlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 12:08 PM   #14
Jerry's 2LT

I took my car to the dealer earlier this morning. The tech was able to snap the plastic panel back into place but didn't see any reason for it popping up.

After trying the top several times they think that it is slightly out of sync between passenger and driver sides. (one comes down a little faster than the other. They think is the reason for the lack of smoothness on mine. They think the problem is with a hydraulic valve. They are going to research it and let me know the outcome.

So stay tuned!