Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro Convertible

Bigwormgraphix

Old 05-12-2017, 12:50 PM   #1
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
Noises and more noises

Just checking to see if anyone else is having these problems and if they may have resolutions.

Open the trunk with car running, hear metalic buzzing coming from either side of what seems to be interior wheel well area, both sides .

Loud metallic clunk coming from rear, (sounds like its from the interior) when passing over abrupt bumps at speed railroad tracks, expansion joints etc.

Vibration and buzzing from plastic trim ( this is easy to identify) and who knows where else (other places in the rear of car )when playing music with some bass.
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 03:21 PM   #2
Donner

Drives: 2017 50th SS convertible
Nope
Donner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 04:02 PM   #3
SomeGeoffGuy

Drives: 2023 2SS Convertible
I got used to my last convertible being noisy. But I would agree with you on the interior noises - there are more itches, chirps, and cricket sounds than I was expecting, even for a convertible. Only upside is that they all go away when the top is down!

-Geoff
SomeGeoffGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 05:26 PM   #4
toro1966

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS Convertible 50th
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeGeoffGuy View Post
I got used to my last convertible being noisy. But I would agree with you on the interior noises - there are more itches, chirps, and cricket sounds than I was expecting, even for a convertible. Only upside is that they all go away when the top is down!

-Geoff
This. Expected, though a little disappointing. I still have to get my wind noise taken care of one of these days as well...
toro1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 06:40 PM   #5
Bob54

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Convertible
I definitely hear a fair amount of rattles from the back and from the plastic parts in the front. It is more than I had in my 2013 Camaro convertible. Overall at highway speed the car is fairly quiet. (Yes I have the wind noise.) My Miata was extremely loud with top up.

The ease of putting the top up and down makes it all worthwhile. The noise on the highway is really quite reasonable.
Bob54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 08:44 PM   #6
camaromike77

Drives: S O L D
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeGeoffGuy View Post
I would agree with you on the interior noises - there are more itches, chirps, and cricket sounds than I was expecting, even for a convertible. Only upside is that they all go away when the top is down!

-Geoff
Borla S-Type exhaust NPP| GM CAI | Color matched GM side skirts | Color matched 3rd brake light | Big Worm Graphics smoked out tail lights & rear reflectors | Oracle ghosted side markers | LED License plate bulbs | Door striker covers | Jam handle | Engine emblems from RiverCity Creations | 50th Center Console | Black bow ties | Hawk Performance ceramic brake pads | ZL1 Start button | CQuartz ceramic paint finish | Novistretch bra | S O L D
camaromike77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 08:46 PM   #7
TybeeSS

Drives: 2017 2SS Auto
My car is pretty quiet. I do hear some creaking or popping on ocassion with the top up but for a sports car its not bad. No other creaks or rattles yet.
TybeeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 11:21 PM   #8
mekirk2

Drives: 2016 2SS Ragtop Garnet Red
Im trying to isolate the trunk noises with the top up.

But I can drive, at 70 mph, with the top down and windows up, while having a business discussion over the cars bluetooth and the other party cant even tell they are on speaker. They are amazed when I tell them Im running 70 with the top down. That has been amazing to me.
mekirk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 03:27 PM   #9
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
Thanks for the replies to my questions... I know that putting top down hides some of the demons. However, something as simple as rattles should have been isolated a bit better during design (at least IMHO). Cars have been manufactured for just under 125 years, it's just not that hard mitigate with proper due diligence (especially right out of the box, with zero mileage).

I've pulled the fuse for the NPP (goodbye $895) because of a rattle (which is controlled until just before WOT) WOT sounds like crap (major vibration / rattle).The top up wind leakage /noise is also more than can reasonably be expected from a new car.

Buying and installing flocking tape, straightening the antenna, chasing rattles, disabling the functional exhaust and babying the way I open my passenger door so it doesn't clip the top, is not part of a pleasant, loyalty inspiring experience. Just my two cents... @ 1500 miles.
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 06:50 AM   #10
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
OK here are my guesses...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chutzpah View Post
Open the trunk with car running, hear metalic buzzing coming from either side of what seems to be interior wheel well area, both sides.
Fuel pump, nothing to see here. Move along.

Quote:
Loud metallic clunk coming from rear, (sounds like its from the interior) when passing over abrupt bumps at speed railroad tracks, expansion joints etc.
guess #1: Sway bar. Retorque bolts w/ loctite (search will show lots of posts on this).

guess #2: loose top latch - see other posts in this subforum for workarounds.

Quote:
Vibration and buzzing from plastic trim ( this is easy to identify) and who knows where else (other places in the rear of car )when playing music with some bass.
Speaker loose. Take to dealer and have them tighten or replace the speaker under warranty.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 06:56 AM   #11
Zack46

Drives: 2018 2SS Camaro Hot Wheels Edition
no, i have not.....................

2018 Camaro 2SS Orange Crush Hot Wheels Limited Edition
Power Sunroof, 8 Speed Auto/Remote Start, NPP Exhaust
Production Sequence Number 98
NEOCC Camaro Club Member

Former Ride: 2016 Camaro 2LT RS V6 Hyper Blue Metallic
Zack46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 07:34 AM   #12
goshawk823

Drives: 2017 RS convertible
mine's really pretty quiet overall; top up or top down.
2010 2LT RS
2013 2SS RS

Current ride:
2017 Camaro 2LT RS convertible
goshawk823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 01:37 PM   #13
SomeGeoffGuy

Drives: 2023 2SS Convertible
There is a rubber panel under the dash on the drivers side that buzzes like crazy. I can put my hand on it and quiet it down, I just need to crawl in there with some tape or something and get it stopped for good. Got a couple from the upper dash that come and go now too.

-Geoff
SomeGeoffGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 08:49 AM   #14
man0steel

Drives: 2016 2LT vert 2.0 R/S A8
Just got mine back from the dealer for similar noises. buzzing noise was the seat belt tensioner (replaced), clunking noise is where the tonneau cover latches down, there is another thread with pics that explains this. Lube will stop the noise briefly, waiting for a real fix from GM.
man0steel is offline   Reply With Quote