Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro Convertible

Bigwormgraphix

Old 04-08-2019, 08:50 PM   #1
Barnaby

Drives: 2017 1LT Vert
Question about new 1LT Vert

Well it’s not actually new... it’s a black 2017 and it has 20k miles on it, but it’s new to me. (Pictures included)

I did a buyers inspection at the dealership today and it basically passed with flying colors (minus about 50% tread on the rear tires, over due for an oil change), so I am thinking I am about to sit down and write up a deal tomorrow.

Anyway - I have never owned a convertible (of any make/model) before and I am very excited, however I do have my concerns.

For those of you that live in a region that does NOT get sun/warm weather year round (I am in Seattle, WA)... and do NOT have a garage, covered parking of any kind.. what do you recommend? A car cover? If so, which one(s)? A temporary shelter/car port type thing for the driveway? If so, any recommendations? If not... just leaving it out in the elements 12 months out of the year.... no issues...?

Second, I keep hearing about a ‘wind noise’ fix... what is it? A product or modification to the car? I know about the windscreen that you can by and put up in the back, but I don’t think that is what you guys are referring to due to context.

Any other first time convertible buyer/driver advice?

Excited to bring her home, thanks in advance for any replies!
Attached Images

Barnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 09:34 PM   #2
17rsvert

Drives: 2017 HBM 2LT RS Convertible V6 A8
I have had my Camaro for over a year, and I have no idea what the wind noise problem is. If you test drove your future purchase with the top up and didn't hear any unusual wind noises, I would say that since the car has 20k miles on it, you're good to go.

I also never used a car cover although my previous convertibles were parked outside year round. A cover would not have been practical because I daily drove them. A cover may work for you if you drive to work in another vehicle and you plan on letting it sit for days or weeks at a time.

When you get the car, give the top a good scrubbing with car wash soap or cleaner made specifically for fabric tops using a soft brush. Rinse until no more suds come out and let it dry completely, then apply 303 protectant. A couple of coats of that and water will bead off the fabric like a freshly waxed hood.

Enjoy your new rag top!
17rsvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 12:25 AM   #3
karmatourer
STD free

Drives: 2018 Bright Yellow LGX M6 RS NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17rsvert View Post
A cover would not have been practical because I daily drove them.

Enjoy your new rag top!
I'm a little puzzled why you say that. Could you explain please?
karmatourer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 04:21 AM   #4
Bigdog9586

Drives: 2016 Z06 coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by karmatourer View Post
I'm a little puzzled why you say that. Could you explain please?
I didn’t write that but it’s not hard to understand. Who wants to go out there every morning, untie the cover since without it a good wind and it’s gone forever. Then there’s the problem of the rain or snow and getting it off in my $500 suit. What do I do with the wet cover. I’ve had many many vehicles and have found that I didn’t get a buck more for garaging it then leaving it out. Drive it, enjoy it and forget the cover.
Bigdog9586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 05:21 AM   #5
17rsvert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdog9586 View Post
I didn’t write that but it’s not hard to understand. Who wants to go out there every morning, untie the cover since without it a good wind and it’s gone forever. Then there’s the problem of the rain or snow and getting it off in my $500 suit. What do I do with the wet cover. I’ve had many many vehicles and have found that I didn’t get a buck more for garaging it then leaving it out. Drive it, enjoy it and forget the cover.
Thanks for posting my response, even though I wear jeans or shorts to work.
Old 04-09-2019, 06:41 AM   #6
Mark114

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnaby View Post
Well it’s not actually new... it’s a black 2017 and it has 20k miles on it, but it’s new to me. (Pictures included)

I did a buyers inspection at the dealership today and it basically passed with flying colors (minus about 50% tread on the rear tires, over due for an oil change), so I am thinking I am about to sit down and write up a deal tomorrow.

Anyway - I have never owned a convertible (of any make/model) before and I am very excited, however I do have my concerns.

For those of you that live in a region that does NOT get sun/warm weather year round (I am in Seattle, WA)... and do NOT have a garage, covered parking of any kind.. what do you recommend? A car cover? If so, which one(s)? A temporary shelter/car port type thing for the driveway? If so, any recommendations? If not... just leaving it out in the elements 12 months out of the year.... no issues...?

Second, I keep hearing about a ‘wind noise’ fix... what is it? A product or modification to the car? I know about the windscreen that you can by and put up in the back, but I don’t think that is what you guys are referring to due to context.

Any other first time convertible buyer/driver advice?

Excited to bring her home, thanks in advance for any replies!
Is this your "forever" car or just a fun car to enjoy for a few years before you move on to the next vehicle? A temporary shelter is a damage risk in a storm. You will want to do your homework before buying. Car covers can do as much or more damage than leaving the car uncovered because if there is any dirt on the surface of the car when you put the cover on then it will likely rub it into the paint. Several threads on this if you search.

Wind noise is most often due to slight misalignment of the windows. If you hear noticeable wind noise then you can ask the dealer to adjust the window alignment.
Mark114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 10:46 AM   #7
Barnaby

Quote:
I have had my Camaro for over a year, and I have no idea what the wind noise problem is. If you test drove your future purchase with the top up and didn't hear any unusual wind noises, I would say that since the car has 20k miles on it, you're good to go.

I also never used a car cover although my previous convertibles were parked outside year round. A cover would not have been practical because I daily drove them. A cover may work for you if you drive to work in another vehicle and you plan on letting it sit for days or weeks at a time.

When you get the car, give the top a good scrubbing with car wash soap or cleaner made specifically for fabric tops using a soft brush. Rinse until no more suds come out and let it dry completely, then apply 303 protectant. A couple of coats of that and water will bead off the fabric like a freshly waxed hood.

Enjoy your new rag top!
Yep, already planning the 303 treatment! That should be good enough for what, one season? How often do you typically clean and reapply? It also comforts me to see you do not experience much interior noise/annoyance either... as I wasn’t sure if I was just not sure what to expect, or etc.
Old 04-09-2019, 10:49 AM   #8
Barnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdog9586 View Post
This is pretty much the reason why I was hesitant to get a cover you hit it right on the head. It wouldn’t be a ‘daily’ necessarily... as I do drive a company vehicle as well... but it would be my ONLY other car, so yes the top would be annoying. The carport idea is interesting but as someone else pointed out a hazard in a storm and etc. I guess all I am really worried about is the rag top and extending its life, preventing leaks and etc. not super worried about the paint and body as I can take pretty good care of that with a ceramic coat and a few details here and there
Old 04-09-2019, 10:52 AM   #9
Barnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark114 View Post
Is this your "forever" car or just a fun car to enjoy for a few years before you move on to the next vehicle? A temporary shelter is a damage risk in a storm. You will want to do your homework before buying. Car covers can do as much or more damage than leaving the car uncovered because if there is any dirt on the surface of the car when you put the cover on then it will likely rub it into the paint. Several threads on this if you search.

Wind noise is most often due to slight misalignment of the windows. If you hear noticeable wind noise then you can ask the dealer to adjust the window alignment.
Hi thanks for the reply, it’s definitely not gonna be a ‘forever’ car, as I don’t think I will EVER have a ‘forever’ car... but I definitely think 4-6 years at least. But yes you are exactly right I am worried about the drawbacks of the cover and the carport more so than protecting the car... the thing is I am not so much worried about the body and the paint and etc, as much as the soft top. I have never driven a convertible before and I just worry super hardcore about preserving the life of the rag top, preventing leaks and wind noise, etc. I live in Seattle where it rains/winds 7-9 months out of the year. Still think leave it outside uncovered and it’ll be fine?
Old 04-09-2019, 10:05 PM   #10
17rsvert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnaby View Post
Hi thanks for the reply, it’s definitely not gonna be a ‘forever’ car, as I don’t think I will EVER have a ‘forever’ car... but I definitely think 4-6 years at least. But yes you are exactly right I am worried about the drawbacks of the cover and the carport more so than protecting the car... the thing is I am not so much worried about the body and the paint and etc, as much as the soft top. I have never driven a convertible before and I just worry super hardcore about preserving the life of the rag top, preventing leaks and wind noise, etc. I live in Seattle where it rains/winds 7-9 months out of the year. Still think leave it outside uncovered and it’ll be fine?
The problem isn't having a convertible, it's living somewhere where it rain/winds 7-9 months out of the year. Buy the car and move!

Kidding aside, just accept the fact that any used car you buy will be 4 or 6 years older in 4 to 6 years, hardtop or ragtop. At least the ragtop will let you get the most out of the 3 or 4 months a year when the weather is nice.
Old 04-10-2019, 05:57 AM   #11
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
303 fabric guard is a must.

Don't spray it on, roll it on using a $8 mini roller kit from walmart. This stuff dries quick and cures solid like clear coat. Keep a cheap MF towel handy to remove drips from the windows and paint (it will happen).

Here's how I did the 303 on my Z.
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showp...25&postcount=3
It still beads water like the photo.

One bottle is enough to do two coats on the top. Should last ~ 6mo to 1 year outdoors.

My wife's daily driver is a (garaged) 2007 solara vert with has a beige top that was replaced @ the 12 year mark, and the 303 really helps keep the dirt and stains down on her new top.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 10:30 AM   #12
Barnaby

Quote:
The problem isn't having a convertible, it's living somewhere where it rain/winds 7-9 months out of the year. Buy the car and move!

Kidding aside, just accept the fact that any used car you buy will be 4 or 6 years older in 4 to 6 years, hardtop or ragtop. At least the ragtop will let you get the most out of the 3 or 4 months a year when the weather is nice.
LOL right. It’s funny, the weather here is trash, it is one of THE most expensive places in the country to live... the traffic is HORRIBLE, and I gotta tell you I wouldn’t move anywhere else in the country for anything 😂 maybe I’m just crazy but I love it here.

Anyway yes you’re right, I think I have made my mind up and am going to try and drive her home... I just need to negotiate the right deal.
Old 04-10-2019, 10:32 AM   #13
Barnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunkk View Post
303 fabric guard is a must.

Don't spray it on, roll it on using a $8 mini roller kit from walmart. This stuff dries quick and cures solid like clear coat. Keep a cheap MF towel handy to remove drips from the windows and paint (it will happen).

Here's how I did the 303 on my Z.
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showp...25&postcount=3
It still beads water like the photo.

One bottle is enough to do two coats on the top. Should last ~ 6mo to 1 year outdoors.

My wife's daily driver is a (garaged) 2007 solara vert with has a beige top that was replaced @ the 12 year mark, and the 303 really helps keep the dirt and stains down on her new top.

SUPER helpful man thank you. Few questions, any mini roller brush work fine, or one in particular? For the cleaning itself... any particular method or product to clean with? I know you mentioned the 303 cleaner, but if I am doing the 303 protectant... their cleaner is best before as well or.... ? Also, I do not have a garage or covered parking... is it necessary to keep it inside/bone dry/clean for 24 hours (before and after) the treatment?

Thanks for the advice!!