Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

Phastek Performance

Old 03-10-2017, 10:12 PM   #29
TJay74

Drives: 17 Camaro SS 1LE & 16 Sierra AT CC
Well the last shop finally called, he carries Xpel as well. $850 installed for the nose and the rocker panels.
TJay74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 02:19 PM   #30
FlashBang23

Drives: 2017 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iano View Post
I didn't think you could even xpel over matte surfaces, I don't think it will stick properly.
look at my pic on page 1. my installer gave me a sample of both XPEL stealth and Ultimate on my splitter so I could see what it would look like

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS 1LE View Post
I would do nothing. ANY film will add gloss and make all the satin black stuff not match. Luckily these items (splitter/mirrors) are easy to remove and have repainted if need be, and that satin paint is less too...I am good with just my nose and rockers being protected.
Agreed, although I don't think the XPEL Stealth would look too bad (look at my pic on page 1)....It adds no gloss. That being said I chose to not do the splitter or mirrors for the exact reason you stated.
Old 03-13-2017, 03:01 PM   #31
detltu

Drives: 1992 Z28 1LE; 2015 Zl1
Another Louisiana person here. My local Xpel installer said they sell it for the price listed on the website with installation included. Still a bit much for me. Is Suntek more affordable?
1991 Camaro Z28 1LE-
1992 Camaro Z28 1LE- 25th anniversary
2015 Camaro ZL1
detltu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 03:07 PM   #32
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by detltu View Post
. Is Suntek more affordable?
Yes, usually...but not much difference.
Old 04-07-2017, 10:26 PM   #33
sfzobie

Drives: -
I just got the entire front done, along with the fender behind the front tire that goes up about half way then tapered to blend in, then to the body line before the back tire and a small piece behind the rear tires. It ended up being $875, but with a 7 year guarantee I felt it was reasonable, I may add the rocker protection down the road, but feel like I have a pretty good coverage area. The material at this place was 3M, and overall the installation looks pretty seamless unless you're looking for it. I am very happy I farmed this out vs trying myself. Also I tinted all the windows with 25%, which I am very happy with, whatever is existing on the car make it look right 20% and just gives the car a much cleaner look.
Attached Images

sfzobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 09:54 AM   #34
chrest

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS
I just picked mine up yesterday. Went with a suntek bra from a local installer that I've had tint a few cars in the past. Very happy with the results. I paid 795 for whole bumper fenders hood and an extra 100 to do the splitter. I like the wrap better then my wife's 3M bra we had put on her car. It has a smoother texture to me. We'll see in time if my opinion stays the same. Also tinted the windows to 20%. Which I was afraid would bot be dark enough but because of the small windows and low roofline, the tinter talked me into it. I'm happy!

603hp/547tq
chrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 06:16 PM   #35
toro1966

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS Convertible 50th
Just got a quote to do mine in Xpel Ultimate. I have used both 3M and Xpel Ultimate int he past and I much prefer the Xpel. Quote is pricey, but I have used this place before, and I know what I am getting. Quality of work is A+++. All edges are wrapped (except the edges that end on the panel if you only get a partial kit). Never an imperfection, blemish, hair, etc in the finish.

Quote was $2200 and includes full hood (film will be layed over orange stripes and center stripe will be cut out and covered with stealth so it remains matte), entire front end, including splitter, headlights, etc., full front fenders, door cups, and mirrors.

Should be getting it installed in a couple of weeks!
toro1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 11:04 AM   #36
Boosted_ST
LT1 1LE

Drives: 2018 2SS 1LE HPB
Quote:
Originally Posted by toro1966 View Post
Just got a quote to do mine in Xpel Ultimate. I have used both 3M and Xpel Ultimate int he past and I much prefer the Xpel. Quote is pricey, but I have used this place before, and I know what I am getting. Quality of work is A+++. All edges are wrapped (except the edges that end on the panel if you only get a partial kit). Never an imperfection, blemish, hair, etc in the finish.

Quote was $2200 and includes full hood (film will be layed over orange stripes and center stripe will be cut out and covered with stealth so it remains matte), entire front end, including splitter, headlights, etc., full front fenders, door cups, and mirrors.

Should be getting it installed in a couple of weeks!
How did it go for you?

I'm getting the full front end installed with Xpel Ultimate, and putting the Stealth version of Xepel on the hood. Doing rocker panels, full fenders, a-pillars, roof, rear tire area, etc.

Perhaps an overkill but it was a package deal for $1,600 and I'm quite happy with this price in Canada as others were coming in at close to $2K.
Boosted_ST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 12:09 AM   #37
Cgocifer

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE, 2015 RAM Ecodiesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJay74 View Post
Called the local shop that does the vast majority of business in our area. He handles a lot of the $100k+ vehicles and from some of the people that I know have used him, the guy does quality work.

I called looking for Xpel but he spoke of the same issues others had heard a couple of months ago that the adhesive Xpel uses is having issues. He said it is being blamed on 3M buying the adhesive company out and changing the formula. None the less he is the 2nd person to say they've had problems with Xpel.

He suggested the new 3M HD Pro film, 7yr warranty for it. His quote just for the front nose on the 1LE was $1000 plus another $400 to do both rockers from the front fenders along the doors to the front of the rear tires and then up to the seam line where the rocker meets the rear fender.

How does this stack up against what some of you have paid?
Lower than I was quoted by two shops in my area. One shop used Xpel and quoted me 2500 for same areas not including the paint correction needed prior to install. The other shop quoted me 1900 for suntek ultra and another 2000 for paint correction. I passed on both and had the paint protection done elsewhere.

The investment wasnt worth it for a depreciating asset. If it was a collector car or exotic, I probably would have done it. I'd never recoup the value on a Camaro especially since I only put a fee hundred miles per year on the car.
Old 09-11-2018, 05:33 PM   #38
georgez32

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE, GC8 STI, SG5 Forester
I installed a precut kit myself from ebay:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevrolet-C...a/252981961390

3M Scotchgard pro series, its a good film but nowhere near as thick as the xpel stuff. I think its understandable for some high quotes for installation on these cars, the camaro front end has a lot of sharp angled features that makes it pretty challenging

I still think its DIY'able but be prepared for some frustration
georgez32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 05:40 PM   #39
Amiaji

Drives: 2018 1SS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgez32 View Post
I installed a precut kit myself from ebay:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevrolet-C...a/252981961390

3M Scotchgard pro series, its a good film but nowhere near as thick as the xpel stuff. I think its understandable for some high quotes for installation on these cars, the camaro front end has a lot of sharp angled features that makes it pretty challenging

I still think its DIY'able but be prepared for some frustration
I ordered this same kit. I am waiting on it to get here. How hard was it to install?
Amiaji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 06:29 PM   #40
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amiaji View Post
I ordered this same kit. I am waiting on it to get here. How hard was it to install?
+1... Mine is on it's way as we speak, I picked up the car from the dealer yesterday. I have an appt to have a pro do paint correction and sealer on Monday, then I plan to attempt to install my kit.

I've done a couple of mt bike frames so I get the basic idea, but any tips are appreciated to get the film to follow all those curves on the front bumper!
DaveC113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 01:17 AM   #41
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
I installed the clear bra kit and some bulk ppf on the rockers and the panel where the factory ppf was in front of the rear wheel.

I watched videos of clear bra installs, people effortlessly squeegeeing this stuff onto cars. With a little practice it IS that easy on flat panels. So, there are some easy pieces like the fenders. The top part of the front bumper in front of the hood wasn't too bad. The main front bumper ppf though, this is on a whole 'nother level. I thought the big wave in the panel in front of the rear wheel was easy so I was set... well, it took me hours to get the front bumper ppf piece done and it was really difficult.

Basic strategy is get started at the middle of the bumper, get that tacked down and then line up the outside edges in front of the front wheel, this requires a gentle stretch... go from there and good luck! There are some places you have to wait for the solution to dry out before it will stick. Leave those for later and go on to another part. In an hour or so it may lie down easily.

For bulk application, cutting the stuff is really hard. I had some hobby knife blades that weren't sharp enough, razors work but don't last long. If I were to do it over I'd source a bunch of surgical scalpels and just go through a bunch of them. I have some uneven lines as a result of just slightly worn blades. It's ridiculous. Luckily it is clear so it's not a huge deal, but this is one thing you're not getting perfect without doing a bunch of cars unless you're very gifted. Luckily, there area a lot of places on the rockers the ppf can wrap into and isn't visible from the exterior of the car. I saved the roof for last (doing a 12" strip along the front edge), cutting along the front of the roofline is going to be interesting. I'll probably buy a couple scalpels for it.

With a 1LE you'll have to trim the bottom edge of the kit where the bumper cover meets the splitter. And maybe some other places that don't line up exactly perfectly.

Not sure I'd do this again TBH...
DaveC113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 03:41 AM   #42
Amiaji

Drives: 2018 1SS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC113 View Post
I installed the clear bra kit and some bulk ppf on the rockers and the panel where the factory ppf was in front of the rear wheel.

I watched videos of clear bra installs, people effortlessly squeegeeing this stuff onto cars. With a little practice it IS that easy on flat panels. So, there are some easy pieces like the fenders. The top part of the front bumper in front of the hood wasn't too bad. The main front bumper ppf though, this is on a whole 'nother level. I thought the big wave in the panel in front of the rear wheel was easy so I was set... well, it took me hours to get the front bumper ppf piece done and it was really difficult.

Basic strategy is get started at the middle of the bumper, get that tacked down and then line up the outside edges in front of the front wheel, this requires a gentle stretch... go from there and good luck! There are some places you have to wait for the solution to dry out before it will stick. Leave those for later and go on to another part. In an hour or so it may lie down easily.

For bulk application, cutting the stuff is really hard. I had some hobby knife blades that weren't sharp enough, razors work but don't last long. If I were to do it over I'd source a bunch of surgical scalpels and just go through a bunch of them. I have some uneven lines as a result of just slightly worn blades. It's ridiculous. Luckily it is clear so it's not a huge deal, but this is one thing you're not getting perfect without doing a bunch of cars unless you're very gifted. Luckily, there area a lot of places on the rockers the ppf can wrap into and isn't visible from the exterior of the car. I saved the roof for last (doing a 12" strip along the front edge), cutting along the front of the roofline is going to be interesting. I'll probably buy a couple scalpels for it.

With a 1LE you'll have to trim the bottom edge of the kit where the bumper cover meets the splitter. And maybe some other places that don't line up exactly perfectly.

Not sure I'd do this again TBH...
Thanks for the info. If all goes well I will be putting mine on this weekend. I'll let you know how it goes.
Amiaji is offline   Reply With Quote