Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Phastek Performance

Old 06-01-2020, 10:49 AM   #15
s346k

Drives: like an old lady
they are truck motors in stock form. look at a dyno graph, it’s very evident. even with car intake manifolds the power curve screams truck motor. huge, broad torque curve, tiny hp peak and then it’s immediately done.
Old 06-01-2020, 12:48 PM   #16
cmitchell17

Drives: 17 2SS, 8L90, Cam, Heads, E85
Why do they need different HPFPs and injectors? Improve idle quality on trucks with smaller following injectors?
cmitchell17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 02:56 PM   #17
RobbyBeefcake87

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmitchell17 View Post
I am assuming the Corvette exhaust manifold didn't fit the Camaro for whatever reason, which gave the design team an excuse to completely redesign a new header for the Camaro. It seems like they had to have had a good reason to create a one off unique header? What does the 6.2 truck header look like?

I'm not sure if gm releases the hp and torque plots anymore but I have seen one for the LT4 somewhere. Since apparently the Camaro headers don't change the output at all, since the claim is that the extra 5hp and 5lb ft of torque on the Corvette come from the Corvette NPP.

I believe the Camaro LT1 has ULEV status so not sure if the Corvette, so maybe this is the justification for a one-off Camaro header?
From what I've seen, the make the same at the wheels so idk about the vettes 5hp/5tq advantage. The vette is a bit faster but its not the extra 5hp rating.
2018 Camaro SS 1LE - GM cai, black bowties, suede knee bolsters, 1le plate frame, black fuel door, dark tails + 3rd brake light, euro side markers + led's, GM all weather floor mats, velossatech big mouth, GM strut brace.
2017 Corvette Grandsport (sold) - untouched.
2006 GTO (sold) - iat relocation, air box mod, monero side marker lights.
RobbyBeefcake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 03:34 PM   #18
avalonandl

Drives: 2019 ZL-1
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownJinX View Post
Then I don't know why they did the tri-Y design. Packaging makes sense, but IMO tri-Y is probably more expensive to make than a 4-to-1 exhaust manifold.
They wanted something special for the Camaro 6 Gen. When you look at it the OEM headers are pretty darn good and sound great. They had more space to work with ( Corvette has the least.)

2012 Yukon XL Denali w/ 6.2 AWD
avalonandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 04:09 PM   #19
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmitchell17 View Post
I am assuming the Corvette exhaust manifold didn't fit the Camaro for whatever reason, which gave the design team an excuse to completely redesign a new header for the Camaro. It seems like they had to have had a good reason to create a one off unique header? What does the 6.2 truck header look like?

I'm not sure if gm releases the hp and torque plots anymore but I have seen one for the LT4 somewhere. Since apparently the Camaro headers don't change the output at all, since the claim is that the extra 5hp and 5lb ft of torque on the Corvette come from the Corvette NPP.

I believe the Camaro LT1 has ULEV status so not sure if the Corvette, so maybe this is the justification for a one-off Camaro header?
According to EPA, both 6th Gen Camaro and C7 Corvette LT1 engines are rated at LEV, not ULEV. C8 LT2 is ULEV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyBeefcake87 View Post
From what I've seen, the make the same at the wheels so idk about the vettes 5hp/5tq advantage. The vette is a bit faster but its not the extra 5hp rating.
Actually, Camaro supposedly makes a little more at wheel according to this dyno test here. It's the same day, same condition, same dyno and manual trans for both cars.

So either Camaro is underrated so C7 has that slightly higher advertised BHP number, or Camaro drivetrain is less lossy than C7's.

But yeah, the Vette's faster in a straight line due to aerodynamic, gearing, and weight advantages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avalonandl View Post
They wanted something special for the Camaro 6 Gen. When you look at it the OEM headers are pretty darn good and sound great. They had more space to work with ( Corvette has the least.)
Maybe it helps with the pops and gurgles? They are just insanely good with this car.

Granted, it has more to do with the tune and ignition timing, but I wonder if the exhaust manifold plays a part as well.

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 04:23 PM   #20
s346k

Drives: like an old lady
Quote:
Granted, it has more to do with the tune and ignition timing, but I wonder if the exhaust manifold plays a part as well.
it doesn’t.
Old 06-02-2020, 05:28 AM   #21
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
I would expect the cast iron manifold and cat bolted to it (don't know if the vette has 4 total or just two), would light off pretty quick. The tube header will take a bit longer to light off the cat, especially all 4. ULEV dumps a lot of raw fuel down the exhaust to light the cat off.
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 09:20 AM   #22
TJay74

Drives: 17 Camaro SS 1LE & 16 Sierra AT CC
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman View Post
I would expect the cast iron manifold and cat bolted to it (don't know if the vette has 4 total or just two), would light off pretty quick. The tube header will take a bit longer to light off the cat, especially all 4. ULEV dumps a lot of raw fuel down the exhaust to light the cat off.

I think almost all GM vehicles now meet CARB requirements which means 4 cats total (2 primary and 2 secondary). GM used to get around this by marketing a 49 state vehicle and a California compliant vehicle. GM started to phase this out in 2009 to where they only market 1 vehicle that is 50 state certified.

2017 Camaro SS 1LE - Procharger D1SC w/ Tial 2" BOV & Race intercooler / ARH full length catless headers / Alky meth injection system - 650rwhp on conservative tune SOLD
TJay74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 04:46 PM   #23
MackSteelPrivateEye
Banned

Drives: 6 on the Flo' Super Sport
Basically, but tuned for Tq. and better MPG. I think.
MackSteelPrivateEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 11:03 PM   #24
RobbyBeefcake87

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
According to EPA, both 6th Gen Camaro and C7 Corvette LT1 engines are rated at LEV, not ULEV. C8 LT2 is ULEV.

Actually, Camaro supposedly makes a little more at wheel according to this dyno test here. It's the same day, same condition, same dyno and manual trans for both cars.

So either Camaro is underrated so C7 has that slightly higher advertised BHP number, or Camaro drivetrain is less lossy than C7's.

But yeah, the Vette's faster in a straight line due to aerodynamic, gearing, and weight advantages.

Maybe it helps with the pops and gurgles? They are just insanely good with this car.

Yea I've seen the camaro typically puts more down but didn't feel like searching for any links to back it up lol.

Its kind of like the old ls1 days when the camaro was rated at 20 less hp but at the wheels made the same... and the ws6 ls1 was really the king of ls1s from the factory even though it wasn't rated as so by pontiac.
2018 Camaro SS 1LE - GM cai, black bowties, suede knee bolsters, 1le plate frame, black fuel door, dark tails + 3rd brake light, euro side markers + led's, GM all weather floor mats, velossatech big mouth, GM strut brace.
2017 Corvette Grandsport (sold) - untouched.
2006 GTO (sold) - iat relocation, air box mod, monero side marker lights.
RobbyBeefcake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 01:04 PM   #25
avalonandl

Drives: 2019 ZL-1
The 4-2 -1 OE exhaust headers on the Camaro are wortth about 2-4 hp over the vette...

2012 Yukon XL Denali w/ 6.2 AWD
avalonandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 07:20 PM   #26
cmitchell17

Drives: 17 2SS, 8L90, Cam, Heads, E85
Quote:
Originally Posted by avalonandl View Post
The 4-2 -1 OE exhaust headers on the Camaro are wortth about 2-4 hp over the vette...
Do you know if this was tested back to back? It would be interesting not only to see how they changed peak power but how they changed it under the curve.
cmitchell17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 07:24 PM   #27
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
Yeah that was done more so for midrange boost to move the extra lbs, not peak numbers
Old 12-02-2020, 12:57 PM   #28
Haans249

Drives: Car
I'm bumping this to the Top.

I'm considering replacing my LT1 in my camaro that is damaged beyond repair with the L86.

From what I've read, all the internals are exactly the same, even down to the cam timings (https://www.hotrod.com/articles/clos...evy-lt-engine/).

However, I have seen other posts mention that the oiling is different, but no one can provide any clarity on what exactly that means.

Does the L86 share the same piston oil squirters as the LT1?

Aside from all of the external items I can take off my broke LT1 and swap to the L86 (oil pan/valve covers/I have headers/intake/tb/etc...) here are the items i'd like to verify:

1) HPFP and Injectors are different between the L86 and LT1?
2) Same front and rear cover?
3) Same valley cover?
4) Stock LT1 tune should work?
5) When swapping motors, what do I need to keep in mind with the oiling? Are the oil galley's differently?
6) Does the L86 block share the same oil cooler provision as the LT1?

Thanks for any tips!
Haans249 is offline   Reply With Quote