Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 10-20-2018, 11:43 PM   #15
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
the depreciation on this car sucks my 17 2ss msrp of $50279 is only booked at $34k with 8k miles on it. Thats BS. my 12 2SS MSRP of just over $36k was worth $30k after 3 years and 20k miles. Then the 6th gen hit the lots and it tanked tho $23k. Its mostly due to the problems of the 16 models and the willingness of banks to give anyone a loan for any amount.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 04:00 AM   #16
matt fe2o3

Drives: 2SS Hyper Blue
Dunno,

I can see the rental fleet stuff having an impact. My 2ss A8 was 40k plus tax and license in July - had to wait for it to get to the dealer and I am quite happy with it.

I don't see any 2SS A8's for sale at all in TrueCar for under 37k in Blue and they are all with high miles.

1SS are a dime a dozen. That seems to be the sucks to be you point. There is a lot of difference between the 1SS and 2SS - and the new price for a 1SS - nicely equipped new is 32-33k so having it drop to 28k off the showroom is the norm.

I like buying new - I have the control over my maintenance and history. 10 years from now if it's worth 12k I'll be happy enough.
Old 10-21-2018, 06:13 AM   #17
mdhopt36

Drives: '17- 1ag37 V6 traded, for 1SS 2018!
Seems like the high depreciation is based on largly a trade-in situation?
If I was to sell, think I would do a private sell to someone who knows the car to begin with. Could net a few more bucks.
mdhopt36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 09:15 AM   #18
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Camaro, Mustangs and Challengers have always dropped like stones. You have to buy the highend versions to lesson the blow, but then you are also paying more up front. CARS ARE NOT AN INVESTMENT. If you are worried about a car loosing mone, then buy used. This way someone else takes that first and biggest hit. This is just the cost you pay to own a virgin.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 09:50 AM   #19
Lerch98

Drives: 2017 2SS black on black on black.
KBB is what insurance companys use to screw you out of the real value of your car.
KBB is about 2/3 to 3/4 of the cars value.
Try an buy a car for its KBB value....If you find one for that price, its either one that no one wants (pink in color), ####ed up, a great deal or sellers is asking a low price.
Lerch98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 10:25 AM   #20
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lerch98 View Post
KBB is what insurance companys use to screw you out of the real value of your car.
KBB is about 2/3 to 3/4 of the cars value.
Try an buy a car for its KBB value....If you find one for that price, its either one that no one wants (pink in color), ####ed up, a great deal or sellers is asking a low price.
It depends on the car.

I just sold my STi for a SS 1LE and I could not get anyone to give me KBB, either the dealer for trade-in or the market for private party sales... Nobody would buy the car for that price. It's real value was a couple thousand less than KBB's price.

I think part of it is the value of used cars is going down in general. Cars are getting expensive.
DaveC113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 10:27 AM   #21
Arugon

Drives: Summit White Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpskinzhut View Post
MSRP on ‘14 2LT vert was almost 42k too.
YIKES! That's the same sticker price as my 2017 1SS!

Goes to show, all those extra fancy electronics and addons might be nice to have but there's definitely a steep price to be paid.
Old 10-21-2018, 11:36 AM   #22
Chazzz

Drives: 2018 1LT RS V6 A8 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC113 View Post
It depends on the car.

I just sold my STi for a SS 1LE and I could not get anyone to give me KBB, either the dealer for trade-in or the market for private party sales... Nobody would buy the car for that price. It's real value was a couple thousand less than KBB's price.

I think part of it is the value of used cars is going down in general. Cars are getting expensive.
You should always check Carvana and get an online appraisal from them before trading or selling. In most cases they pay over KBB good condition trade value and they will buy your car outright and come pick it up. It appears they are currently at or above KBB good condition trade value on STI’s.....
Chazzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 11:45 AM   #23
Chazzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arugon View Post
YIKES! That's the same sticker price as my 2017 1SS!

Goes to show, all those extra fancy electronics and addons might be nice to have but there's definitely a steep price to be paid.
A new base 1SS coupe stickers for less than a 1LT convertible with basic options such as V6 A8 RS and Tech packs.....
Old 10-21-2018, 11:49 AM   #24
Chazzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
Camaro, Mustangs and Challengers have always dropped like stones. You have to buy the highend versions to lesson the blow, but then you are also paying more up front. CARS ARE NOT AN INVESTMENT. If you are worried about a car loosing mone, then buy used. This way someone else takes that first and biggest hit. This is just the cost you pay to own a virgin.
+1...... further proof that buying these cars is purely an emotional decision and certainly not a logical one. You Gotta Pay To Play.......
Old 10-21-2018, 12:14 PM   #25
ItsChristianInHD

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2LT RS 3.6L
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomanB View Post
Your car is not an investment ... enjoy your ride and forget about the current value of your car. I am in the same boat.
preach man, preach. We love our cars, but at the end of the day, it’s a car. You’ll always get another one.
I love my car too. Although, 5-10 years from now I’ll probably get another Camaro, SS next time. I’ll keep my V6, goal is to get this car to 250,000 miles.
ItsChristianInHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 12:33 PM   #26
Whocares05050

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazzz View Post
I realize that most sports cars including Camaro depreciate at a higher rate during the fall and winter months, but it seems this year my 1LT V6 convertible has been hit exceptionally hard. KBB currently has my cars trade in value at just $22,323, this on a car that had an MSRP new just shy of $39K and has just 3,700 miles. Sadly, i know that the value will only drop more in the winter months ahead. A depriciation near $17K from MSRP in just 3 months and under 3,700 miles of ownership is unexpected and to say the least disappointing. While I knew going in depreciation takes it’s toll, I can’t help but wonder if the refreshed 19 models and possibly other factors besides the typical seasonal drops in value may be hitting preowned Camaro’s extra hard....

Keep in mind "trade in value" is not market value. Most dealers try to mark up trade in's 5k and put them on the lot. My 2018 SS 1LE had an MSRP of 47k and I got it for 38k. I am sure with only 400 miles that the "trade in value" is somewhere near 33k. Sports cars depreciate. That;s what they do. I wouldnt worry about it until you ARE ready to part ways with it. Until then, enjoy the ride....

Oh, and if you think the camaro depreciates, you would HATE owning a mercedes... My Benz was 68K and after 2 years only got 26k for it....but I also think non-v8 "pony cars" may take a slightly bigger hit.
Whocares05050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 01:05 PM   #27

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whocares05050 View Post
Keep in mind "trade in value" is not market value. Most dealers try to mark up trade in's 5k and put them on the lot. My 2018 SS 1LE had an MSRP of 47k and I got it for 38k. I am sure with only 400 miles that the "trade in value" is somewhere near 33k. Sports cars depreciate. That;s what they do. I wouldnt worry about it until you ARE ready to part ways with it. Until then, enjoy the ride....

Oh, and if you think the camaro depreciates, you would HATE owning a mercedes... My Benz was 68K and after 2 years only got 26k for it....but I also think non-v8 "pony cars" may take a slightly bigger hit.

I agree....What makes it worse is that private party sales have a tough time competing with dealer trade-ins....Most buyers do not have the cash and cannot get the financing for a good used car in the 20-30K range....Rarely does anyone save that kind of money anymore for a used car....The dealers offer the financing and the dealer-speak monthly payment and trade-in "value"....It's a vicious cycle that is hard to break out of for many...And the trade-in price skews the "value" of the car depending on all the other variables the customer is "negotiating" with the dealer....

Basically, though, it's not that hard to figure out....If you are going to unload the car you just bought new one or two years ago, you will take a bath on the over-all cost. Been happening for decades and decades...

...Nothing new to see here as far as depreciation....lol...
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 01:44 PM   #28
cbr1100xx
Account Suspended

Drives: '14 Jetta 1.8, '19 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCunningham View Post
the depreciation on this car sucks my 17 2ss msrp of $50279 is only booked at $34k with 8k miles on it. Thats BS. my 12 2SS MSRP of just over $36k was worth $30k after 3 years and 20k miles. Then the 6th gen hit the lots and it tanked tho $23k. Its mostly due to the problems of the 16 models and the willingness of banks to give anyone a loan for any amount.
Don’t know what anyone is starting at MSRP as the baseline for depreciation. You shouldn’t be buying any Camaro for less than $5k off MSRP anyway. Anyone who paid close to MSRP bc they had to have it now, you’re going to take a bigger bath. Just keep your car.
cbr1100xx is offline   Reply With Quote