Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

AWE Tuning

Old 05-22-2018, 11:51 AM   #1
sstormtrooper

Drives: Camaro 2SS
Intake Valve Cleaning Tips?

Hey. I've been reading up a lot on catch cans and was considering throwing a mishimoto or elite on my 2016 SS. The car is already at 15K mi. though so I'm wondering if it's necessary for me to clean my intake valves first before throwing on the catch can or what the best options are?

I'm also not very familiar with the best way to clean the intake valves. Any tips to make this easier on myself if I move forward with it? Thanks in advance!
sstormtrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 02:23 PM   #2
Dubchitts

Drives: '17 Red hot 2ss, 16 Focus RS
I wouldn't worry about it. Just throw one on and enjoy!

Afe Air Filter//BMR MM010 Motor Mounts, Safety Loop//Custom OTR Intake//Flex Fuel Kit//Gforce 3.5" Aluminum Driveshaft//GM 95mm TB//Katech Oil Pump, Piston Squirters//Kooks 1-7/8 LT//LT4 Fueling//Mighty Mouse Wild//Monster Clutch LT1-S Triple Disc//MSD 2-Step//Pray Performance Custom Spec Cam, Ported Holley Hi-Ram//Sikky 12" Shifter w OEM Knob Mod//Tick Level 1 Tr6060//Labor by Me//Tune By Pray Performance
Dubchitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 02:37 PM   #3
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
CRC makes a product you spray thru the throttle body with the engine running. I would spray a can thru it and put the catch can on.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 12:06 AM   #4
sstormtrooper

Thanks Fellas. I'm trying gauge if I can just avoid doing the cleaning all together and just throw the catch can on (I went with Mishimoto because of the apparent ease of installation) and stop the build up moving forward. I imagine when it enters high mileage territory, that minor build up it's had up to 15K shouldn't be too big of an issue right? I'm just a bit nervous to put in chemicals through the engine if I don't have to..
Old 05-23-2018, 05:50 AM   #5
Gen6 softtop

Drives: Hyper blue 1ss convertible 6 sp
I would just put it on if you want peace of mind. I'm not a sold on them we have a factory one maybe not as thorough, but I'm a believer in driving your vehicles "some rpm" keep the carbon clear from everything
Gen6 softtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 09:42 AM   #6
trohde78

Drives: '17 Red Hot 2SS 6MT
It should be fine at 15K. The higher mileage examples that I've seen posted on this forum have very little build-up (even without catch cans). These engines don't appear to have issues anywhere near as bad as BMW and others.
trohde78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 10:00 AM   #7
KingLT1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen6 softtop View Post
I would just put it on if you want peace of mind. I'm not a sold on them we have a factory one maybe not as thorough, but I'm a believer in driving your vehicles "some rpm" keep the carbon clear from everything
you are not understanding the issue with DI. RPM will do nothing for keeping oil out of the intake manifold and building up on the back side of the valves. The issue is intake side not combustion chamber. This was not as big of issue on port fuelinjection because you had fuel being injected directly into the intake ports which helped keep build up off the back side of the valve. DI injects fuel directly into the combustion chamber, so nothing but air and oil vapor hits the intake ports and back side of the valves on these motors. I don't think it's as big of issue as the internet makes it out to be, but a catch can does help reduce oil vapor entering the intake manifold and it would not hurt to spray some crc cleaner in regular intervals to help keep the back side of the valves cleaner.
Old 05-23-2018, 11:55 AM   #8
1970judge

Drives: 2015 Z/28, 2007 HHR
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=527593
1970judge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 12:28 PM   #9
sstormtrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLT1 View Post
you are not understanding the issue with DI. RPM will do nothing for keeping oil out of the intake manifold and building up on the back side of the valves. The issue is intake side not combustion chamber. This was not as big of issue on port fuelinjection because you had fuel being injected directly into the intake ports which helped keep build up off the back side of the valve. DI injects fuel directly into the combustion chamber, so nothing but air and oil vapor hits the intake ports and back side of the valves on these motors. I don't think it's as big of issue as the internet makes it out to be, but a catch can does help reduce oil vapor entering the intake manifold and it would not hurt to spray some crc cleaner in regular intervals to help keep the back side of the valves cleaner.
I'm a bit nervous about running the CRC cleaner at 15K because I was reading that the buildup is a hard crystalline and if it happens to break off, it wouldn't be much good for the engine. Anyone have experience using CRC at 15K or later without issues or have tips? Either way, I'm going to throw on the catch can as soon as it arrives to help where it can. I wish Elite catch cans had better installation instructions available online, I couldn't find anything clear on it whatsoever. Way to shoot a good product in the foot.
Old 05-23-2018, 12:29 PM   #10
sstormtrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1970judge View Post
Old 05-23-2018, 12:30 PM   #11
sstormtrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by trohde78 View Post
It should be fine at 15K. The higher mileage examples that I've seen posted on this forum have very little build-up (even without catch cans). These engines don't appear to have issues anywhere near as bad as BMW and others.
I might avoid the risk and just put the can on then unless I get a strong voice from the forum otherwise. Thanks for that!
Old 05-23-2018, 01:47 PM   #12
KingLT1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstormtrooper View Post
I'm a bit nervous about running the CRC cleaner at 15K because I was reading that the buildup is a hard crystalline and if it happens to break off, it wouldn't be much good for the engine. Anyone have experience using CRC at 15K or later without issues or have tips? Either way, I'm going to throw on the catch can as soon as it arrives to help where it can. I wish Elite catch cans had better installation instructions available online, I couldn't find anything clear on it whatsoever. Way to shoot a good product in the foot.
Nope it softens it...aside from that you don't have enough mileage on the engine for that to be a issue. There is a thread in the maintenance section discussing this.
Old 05-23-2018, 03:06 PM   #13
parbreak

Drives: 2017 50th Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by sstormtrooper View Post

Yeah, you would think with the freaking essay like response Elite gives on here to some questions they might actually be able to write good instructions. Hence why I chose Mighty Mouse Wild.
50th Anniversary Edition |Borla Atak and 60606 mid pipes| Kooks 1 7/8" | ProCharger Stage II |305/45/17 DRs | Circle D 3500 stall | LT4 fueling | Custom made Lowside Aux Pump | Alky Control Meth | DSX E85
parbreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 03:13 PM   #14
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS, Jeep JKU Rubicon
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLT1 View Post
Spray it in where? There's no conventional intake manifold, right? (forgive my ignorance please)