Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 11-25-2017, 09:16 PM   #29
Rob Camaro

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by majik755 View Post
The specs for wireless charging are changing so quickly, this is not surprising. They've already announced a higher speed charger for the next iPhone X. Judging by the list of phones that don't work with GM chargers maybe it would be best to figure out how to convert the area to usable space instead of a charging pad, can certainly use some storage in the cabin..
I wonder if GM will offer a fix for vehicles that have the issue. If not, I don’t see why one couldn’t just buy a charging unit for one of the 2018 chevys that work and replace the current unit in the car already.
Rob Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 07:09 AM   #30
Bigdog9586

Drives: 2016 Z06 coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Camaro View Post
I wonder if GM will offer a fix for vehicles that have the issue. If not, I don’t see why one couldn’t just buy a charging unit for one of the 2018 chevys that work and replace the current unit in the car already.
I think the charging pad is the biggest joke on the Camaro. Why because first off it’s slow, my phone is behind me and I have the seat all the way back. Just think of the shorter driver. Plus it’s sitting on a flat surface in a sports car that loves fast corners. I’d be stopping every turn to get out and hunt down the phone when it goes flying. Wife’s new XT5 has a slot it slides into just in front of the center console and even accepts my iPhone X with otterbox defender case on it. Whether it charges, I haven’t found out yet. It’s a 18.
Bigdog9586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 08:32 AM   #31
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdog9586 View Post
I think the charging pad is the biggest joke on the Camaro. Why because first off it’s slow, my phone is behind me and I have the seat all the way back. Just think of the shorter driver. Plus it’s sitting on a flat surface in a sports car that loves fast corners. I’d be stopping every turn to get out and hunt down the phone when it goes flying. Wife’s new XT5 has a slot it slides into just in front of the center console and even accepts my iPhone X with otterbox defender case on it. Whether it charges, I haven’t found out yet. It’s a 18.
From TechCrunch....
Attached Images

A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 01:48 PM   #32
BMWM.D.

Drives: ZL1/335i
I know...old thread, but I haven’t seen any newer ones pop up and there’s some good info here. Just wondering if anyone’s heard whether or not the 2019 Camaro is going to have wireless charging compatible with iPhones. Just got an 8, and am a little disappointed that it doesn’t work in my 18 ZL1.

Some of the responses here mention swapping one from another model, but I don’t see that as a great option. I haven’t done any research, but I’m going to guess the modules aren’t identical as far as size/figment. But if the 19 Camaros are going to have an updated part, then it should be an easy swap. Not that it’s a huge deal, but it would be cool to have it functional.
BMWM.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 04:10 PM   #33
bandit38

Drives: Camaro SS - Trans Am - Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWM.D. View Post
I know...old thread, but I haven’t seen any newer ones pop up and there’s some good info here. Just wondering if anyone’s heard whether or not the 2019 Camaro is going to have wireless charging compatible with iPhones. Just got an 8, and am a little disappointed that it doesn’t work in my 18 ZL1.

Some of the responses here mention swapping one from another model, but I don’t see that as a great option. I haven’t done any research, but I’m going to guess the modules aren’t identical as far as size/figment. But if the 19 Camaros are going to have an updated part, then it should be an easy swap. Not that it’s a huge deal, but it would be cool to have it functional.

I was wondering the exact same thing the other day, I would be very surprised if the '19 wouldn't work with the iPhones.
Old 04-22-2018, 06:35 PM   #34
GroundhogSS

Drives: '17 2SS convertible'20 Yukon Denali
I remember right after the '16s came out, someone posted that they replaced the charging unit with a different one, I think a Belkin. Probably just wired it straight to USB.

Delivered: 08/15/2016

#TeamBeckyD

GroundhogSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 09:13 PM   #35
bandit38

Good news on this front !

The 2019 Cadillac XT5 has a updated wireless charger for the iPhone so I would figure the Camaro will too !

------------

Addition of second-generation Wireless Phone Charging, which includes higher power and larger charging surface area that’s compatible with iPhone and Android phones equipped for wireless charging on Luxury, Premium Luxury & Platinum trim levels

-------------

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2018/04/...charging-more/
Old 04-28-2018, 11:05 PM   #36
BMWM.D.

Drives: ZL1/335i
I actually ended up finding a chart that shows the ‘19 Camaro as supporting the 8 and X for wireless charging. So I’m thinking it should be an easy swap as soon as parts become available.
BMWM.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 01:38 PM   #37
bandit38

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWM.D. View Post
I actually ended up finding a chart that shows the ‘19 Camaro as supporting the 8 and X for wireless charging. So I’m thinking it should be an easy swap as soon as parts become available.
Hopefully it will be !
Old 04-29-2018, 03:48 PM   #38
Keifer
Summit White 2SS

Drives: 2017 Summit White 2SS, 2018 Tahoe
GM actually is coming out with an upgrade kit for wireless charging to support newer phones. I think it’s about $99.

I believe it will be available next month.

Old 04-29-2018, 04:10 PM   #39
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keifer View Post
GM actually is coming out with an upgrade kit for wireless charging to support newer phones. I think it’s about $99.

I believe it will be available next month.
Do you have more information about this? I am very interested!
Old 04-29-2018, 04:15 PM   #40
Keifer
Summit White 2SS

Drives: 2017 Summit White 2SS, 2018 Tahoe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
Do you have more information about this? I am very interested!
I’ll follow up when I have more info (including part #).

Old 04-29-2018, 04:22 PM   #41
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keifer View Post
I’ll follow up when I have more info (including part #).
Thank you!
Old 04-29-2018, 06:20 PM   #42
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
Heres what I did on my canyon. It could be the same on the Camaro. But one of you guys would need to try it

Wireless charging pad update for iPhone X
http://coloradofans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=377473

Tags
wireless charging