Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-08-2016, 11:09 AM   #1
PDXSSCE
Yee-aay-ee!

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS CV CE
Question Playing Music Stored On Smartphone

I searched for information but I'm unable to find it...
I have a smartphone with ringtones & songs stored as MP3 files. The ringtone files are stored in the Ringtones folder & the songs are stored in the Music folder. When the car is shuffling through music, how can I get it to play only the songs stored in the Music folder & not the ringtones in the Ringtones folder?

Also, will it play songs when connected through Bluetooth or must it be connected with a USB cable?

I greatly appreciate your assistance in advance.
Old 04-08-2016, 11:14 AM   #2
Welker2
Ret AF, cancer survivor

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS & 2006 Corvette
I've created playlists & select the one I want, it only randomly plays the songs on the selected list
Old 04-08-2016, 11:24 AM   #3
Kopterman

Drives: 2014 Bright Yellow 2SS/RS
I use a small USB thumb drive. Plug it in and play all songs on it. Works much better than off your phone.
Kopterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 11:31 AM   #4
Skillet
Account Suspended

Drives: car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kopterman View Post
I use a small USB thumb drive. Plug it in and play all songs on it. Works much better than off your phone.
This. Plus you won't need to dick around on your smartphone while driving trying to select songs to play.
Skillet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 11:34 AM   #5
chozn4service

Drives: 2016 SS w/2SS A8 Blue Velvet
Yea I have several thumb or flash drives that I play through my car. Auto connects to the MyLink and I'm golden. I will occasionally listen to music on the iPhone or through Spotify, Pandora or what's in my library through the bluetooth. Wide variety of sources available.
Old 04-08-2016, 11:41 AM   #6
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
Quote:
Originally Posted by Welker2 View Post
I've created playlists & select the one I want, it only randomly plays the songs on the selected list
Any way to get the songs to play in order, or is the random selection the only way to go?
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 11:50 AM   #7
PDXSSCE
Yee-aay-ee!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skillet View Post
This. Plus you won't need to dick around on your smartphone while driving trying to select songs to play.
I actually want it to play all the songs (MP3 files) in the Music folder, but none of the ringtones (MP3 files) in the Ringtones folder. It's not a matter of wanting a specific song (MP3 file) within a folder.

Is there a way of having the car play only the songs (MP3 files) within a specific folder?
Old 04-08-2016, 11:51 AM   #8
Welker2
Ret AF, cancer survivor

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS & 2006 Corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by gajagfan View Post
Any way to get the songs to play in order, or is the random selection the only way to go?
Haven't tried to play in order, prefer random, but my guess would be there is; hopefully someone else can provide a better answer.
Old 04-08-2016, 01:23 PM   #9
PDXSSCE
Yee-aay-ee!

I may have found it...

MP3 Folder Information.
Touch anywhere between the top applications tray and the bottom menu to display the browse screen.
Root Directory : To access, touch the screen anywhere between the top and bottom menu or touch
BROWSE. The root directory is treated as a folder. All files contained directly under the root directory are accessed prior to any root directory folders.

I'm at work so unable to try it right now.
Old 04-09-2016, 08:30 PM   #10
PDXSSCE
Yee-aay-ee!

The result.

I found the aforementioned GM information unhelpful.

When I connected the Android smartphone via a USB cable, the display stated 'Indexing' for about 3 minutes. Once it was done, I pressed the Menu button, which then displayed Artists, Titles, Genres, etc. lists.
Regardless of which I selected, the MP3 files which are in the Ringtones folder were recognized, but the files in the Music folder defaulted to <Unknown>. I selected that option & it played through the music.

I'll continue to play with it to see if I can get all the music (MP3) files recognized.
Old 04-10-2016, 12:11 AM   #11
Ace0751
GEN5 Detail

Drives: 2011 Synergy Series 2SS Convertible
Playlist is your best friend for smartphones.
Old 04-10-2016, 12:32 AM   #12
PDXSSCE
Yee-aay-ee!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace0751 View Post
Playlist is your best friend for smartphones.
I selected Playlist & it stated there isn't one. I couldn't find how to create it.

EDIT: I learned it's created on the smartphone; I created one using Google Music & will try it tomorrow.

Last edited by PDXSSCE; 04-10-2016 at 01:11 AM.
PDXSSCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 03:27 PM   #13
PDXSSCE
Yee-aay-ee!

The result.

I want to post the end result in case someone else should have the same question(s):

I created a playlist on the Android 'Music' app that came with the phone. MyLink wouldn't recognize it. I then realized that it's a different app than 'Play Music'. I attempted to create a playlist on that app, but they wanted a credit card number to 'validate' the account, which I refused because I have my own free music.

I then bought the micro-USB flash drive in the attached picture. I wanted one that's small, because I can leave it connected & use the storage compartment, without concern of bumping it & possibly damaging the port.

I formatted using exFat with standard 4KB clusters. MyLink wouldn't recognize it. I then formatted using standard Fat32 with 16KB clusters & it works perfectly.

I read that some people need to turn off the radio, before turning off the car.
After starting the car, waiting for MyLink to finish loading, before turning on the radio, so the USB loads correctly.
I haven't encountered this issue *knock on wood* but I suggest trying it if issue(s) occur.
Attached Images

Old 04-16-2016, 12:56 AM   #14
Mr. Stacy
El Duderino

Drives: 2011 2LTRS Convertible
I don't have a touch screen but man I love this stereo. I can just plug in a thumb drive, or connect my phone via bluetooth and rock my Pandora. Awesome.