Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-15-2015, 12:10 AM   #1
Nordwhal

Drives: No Camaro yet...
Just some speculation now that 6th gens are almost a thing.

Alright, so I'm really wanting to pick up a Camaro but I've decided that the wise move here would be to wait until the 6th gens hit the streets and pick up a 5th gen once the prices drop some. Sure, I'd just love to walk into the stealership and drive off in a brand new black 6th gen 2SS fully loaded lol but that's out of my price range right now. So my question for you guys is where do you think the 5th gen prices are gonna be sitting when the 6 comes out? Right now (and these are very rough numbers because they're just prices I'm pulling off autotrader) 2SS prices sit around 30k for a 13. '13 1LEs sit around 35k or so and ZL1s are just anywhere from high 30s to low to mid 40s. So what do you guys think the general price ranges will look like for SS, 1LE, and ZL1 after the 6th gen comes out. For the sake of simplifying things we'll just think about '13 models I guess. This is all just bs speculation here lol but I am curious what you guys think because I'm sure everyone in here can form a more accurate speculation than I can. And again I know Autotrader doesn't give accurate values but it does list dealer sticker prices and that's what I'm more curious about but feel free to say what you think the Nada will look like too. Thanks guys.
Nordwhal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 12:35 AM   #2
Jay_D

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS LS3
I'm no expert but I wouldn't think the price on say a 13 SS will suddenly drop by much maybe a couple grand max,once the 6th gen hits. At the end of the day the 13 is still going to be only a 3 year old vehicle in presumably good condition. I could be wrong though, look at the truck market. But I always got the impression the truck market and car market are not treated the same when it comes to price drops once the next gen hits.
Jay_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 12:38 AM   #3
drew peacock
Banned

Drives: 2012 2SS INFERNO ORANGE
prices on s197 mustangs have stayed good...our cars are such an awesome car for the money i doubt they will drop in value a lot...maybe in a few years time..
drew peacock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 12:39 AM   #4
Nordwhal

Yeah I'm no expert either lol but you're right about the truck market, especially with diesels. I'm just curious what the drop is even if it isn't much because it's just something worth considering when thinking of getting another car.
Old 08-15-2015, 01:52 AM   #5
drew peacock
Banned

Drives: 2012 2SS INFERNO ORANGE
whatever u buy there will always be something newer and better that comes along.
you buy a bmw they update the cars almost yearly..
our cars have irs which makes them future proof unlike the s197 live axel
drew peacock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 02:02 AM   #6
Nordwhal

Very true. My only thought was that maybe since there's a whole new redesign of the car that the previous body style might become a little more affordable. Like this tax season instead of going in for a 2SS I might be able to go in for a 1LE instead since the price falls off a little bit. But the cars are definitely future proofed to a degree with the IRS. Heck, the ZL1 even has magnetic ride suspension which is way ahead of the competition and I don't think the competition even offers anything like that (Definitely could be wrong here since the only Fords I know a lot about are Terminator Cobras and I've not looked a whole lot into what Mopar is doing these days)
Old 08-15-2015, 02:04 AM   #7
Nordwhal

If Ford and Mopar are putting a competitive setup against the ZL1s magnetic ride please let me know lol because it'll be the first I've heard of it.
Old 08-15-2015, 05:41 AM   #8
Joseph1LE

Drives: 2015 Camaro SS 1LE, 2001 Camaro SS
I got a '15 1LE for 35k. 2SS with RS, Recaros, NPP, ect. ect fully loaded. Theres a few more '15 1LEs on dealer lots in my area for 37-38k or so. Prices are definitely falling and they are definitely trying to move these cars to make room for the 6th gen.

2015 Camaro SS 1LE- sold
2001 Camaro SS SOM M6- sold
1999 Firebird Formula A4- sold
Joseph1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 06:06 AM   #9
el ess A
Older Than Dirt

Drives: 2010 & 2013 Camaros
Don't forget the volume effect of the 6th gens coming on to the lots and then people trading in 5th gens for that "latest thing" whether they need it or not. This will put more used cars on the lots and dealers lowering trade-in values for those not wanting to wait. This drives prices lower as well.

The big drop will come not when the new model arrives, but once the negotiations start. The demand for new 5th gens were strong, obviously. But that means a zillion 5th gens out there in garages, etc. Then they end up on the used car lots as the 6th gens replace them. Unless used 5th gen demand is strong, then prices will drop to move them, and so it goes.

How much that drop will be is yet TBD.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=26108&dateline=142898  4774
el ess A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 06:20 AM   #10
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
Question: if you don't really want one, why are you buying one? Buy a car you want to own.
Old 08-15-2015, 08:05 AM   #11
KJZ28

Drives: 2018 Buick Regal TourX
These cars are not like Corvettes where every generation is so much better than the last that everyone needs the newest one. Also when a new Corvette comes out, the last one looks date inside and out, which also hurts the value. I don't see that with the Camaro as the 6th gen is an evolution not a revolution.
KJZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 08:08 AM   #12
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
New 2015 Camaros still on the lot when the 2016s show up will likely be discounted but the used market isn't going to suddenly drop a few grand.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 08:08 AM   #13
RagingHawk

Drives: Fuel efficient compact sedan :)
You can get over 2500 in rebates if you have GM vehicles already leased. Employee discount really helps also. These two combined will bring a 38k SS down to 32. For 2SS's the lowest is usually around 35-36 unless a dealer discounts the car not as part of the rebates so you can still add what you need. I'm picking up the SS next week. I went with 2015 because of several factors:

1. My trade in value on my v6 will dip once 6th gen comes out
2. I only drive during spring/summer. Use separate vehicle for daily commutes. I'm not waiting till fall.
3. The prices will be higher and we won't have as much as rebates available I'm assuming.
4. I don't like the exterior design on the 2016 but I'm sure it can grow on me eventually. Interior wise they did a great job.
5. The 5th gen has sufficient power for me. If not for everyone you can still mod.

Really its your choice. If you are looking forward to the 6th gen wait some time then build one up in Chevrolet's webpage. And make your order.
RagingHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 08:29 AM   #14
el ess A
Older Than Dirt

Drives: 2010 & 2013 Camaros
The 6th gen will appeal to early adopters...they're the ones that wait in line for the new iphones and stuff like that.

Then, there will be the ones that gravitate toward the 6th gen because they simply love it. And THEN...comes the realization for the rest that the things that they don't like aren't going to change, and have had time to see it, sit in one or drive it, and then find they could live with the "flaws" they find.

It's about supply and demand. If the 6th gen stumbles, the 5th gen prices won't. If everyone wants one and dumps their 5th gens en masse, then prices will plummet.

The only drawback about waiting is that there's a chance the 5th gen you like won't be available new when you're ready to buy. I think they'll likely double the rebates on them from what they are now, and that will likely be about it. That's MY guess.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=26108&dateline=142898  4774
el ess A is offline   Reply With Quote