Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Z/28 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 05-11-2016, 10:44 AM   #239
Raven87
C'mon- really?

Drives: Looking for a ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjk3888 View Post
Viper did it with the ACR granted it took 512 cubic inches.
Right! And, that engine is a monster for sure.
2018 Camaro 2SS 1LE Black #3805 - SOLD
Raven87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 10:45 AM   #240
whiteboyblues2001

Drives: 1SS, A8, MRC, NPP, Blade Spoiler
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
THIS ^ Yes the Voodoo is proof you can still get over 500HP N/A, but look how they had to do it, it revs to over 8K with its FPC. they had to make it rev to the moon to get the power they wanted. Over 500HP N/A is getting harder and harder to do.
That is because Ford uses a modular engine design, so the engine had to share a bore spacing and deck height. Short story is, they couldn't go much higher in displacement, and FI was out of the questions, so revs are the only thing left.

In GM's case, they are already starting out at a larger 6.2L, and the small block can go up to at least 7.0L, so it won't need as many revs.

And, the LTx is now DI, which means you can go higher compression as well.
whiteboyblues2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 10:49 AM   #241
NASTY99Z28

Drives: 99z28 with bolt-ons and a mwc fab 9
Why do you guys keep getting stuck on a 7.0? You don't need an engine that size to make over 500hp n/a.
Old 05-11-2016, 10:50 AM   #242
Raven87
C'mon- really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyblues2001 View Post
That is because Ford uses a modular engine design, so the engine had to share a bore spacing and deck height. Short story is, they couldn't go much higher in displacement, and FI was out of the questions, so revs are the only thing left.

In GM's case, they are already starting out at a larger 6.2L, and the small block can go up to at least 7.0L, so it won't need as many revs.

Old 05-11-2016, 10:52 AM   #243
Raven87
C'mon- really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NASTY99Z28 View Post
Why do you guys keep getting stuck on a 7.0? You don't need an engine that size to make over 500hp n/a.
Yep, and I 100% agree. I don't think you will see 7.0 displacement again but that's just my opinion.

If anything, you will see smaller displacement in the years ahead.
Old 05-11-2016, 10:56 AM   #244
Denis

Drives: 2010 SS
just throwing it out there, I don't know enough CAFE and the regulations, but isn't it like a company average MPG that they have to meet?

Why is it that companies like Lamborghini make cars with only V10's and V12's that get an absolute max of about 20mpg? And were trying to figure out a V8 in a limited production car? wouldn't the mileage of both the V6 and I4 offset the impact of something large for the Z28?
Old 05-11-2016, 10:57 AM   #245
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyblues2001 View Post

I was just playing devils advocate, as a lot of people in here make it sound like it would be super easy to do another 7.0 and have it make 550+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis View Post
just throwing it out there, I don't know enough CAFE and the regulations, but isn't it like a company average MPG that they have to meet?

Why is it that companies like Lamborghini make cars with only V10's and V12's that get an absolute max of about 20mpg? And were trying to figure out a V8 in a limited production car? wouldn't the mileage of both the V6 and I4 offset the impact of something large for the Z28?

I think some peopel have thrown CAFE out there, but it is more on the emissions standards IIRC
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 11:01 AM   #246
Denis

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
I think some peopel have thrown CAFE out there, but it is more on the emissions standards IIRC
ooooh I got ya.
Old 05-11-2016, 11:09 AM   #247
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis View Post

Ahh, that's the shitty part of CAFE. Boutique manufacturers get a pass based on low enough sales volume so the same rules doesn't apply to them.

As mentioned...most of the problem with the big-displacement V8 that Chevy says is tough to make has to do with startup emissions.
Old 05-11-2016, 11:12 AM   #248
Zultain7

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Maybe its me, but I want that wing and hood!
3000 Status on 9/3
3300 Status on 10/8
3400 Status on 10/9
3800 Status on 10/19
Delivery 12/28
Zultain7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 11:13 AM   #249
SpeedIsLife

Drives: Current Camaro-less
People are hung up on 7.0L/427CI because that was the standard bearer in the GM world for N/A performance motors, and in general the NA market.

Motors in general are *expensive* to produce, certify, test, develop, etc...it's easy for the keyboard warriors to just say "hey just punch out the LT1 block, stroke it out, put a hotter cam in and BAM..550 HP!"...but they don't realize that it has to meet MPG requirements both within GM and trying to avoid a GG tax outside, has to meet long term durability standards, minimum warranty concerns, emissions, ease of manufacture, etc

Just because a speed shop can do it for $10,000...doesn't mean an OEM can do that. What might cost a speed shop $10,000...might cost GM $10 million.
SpeedIsLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 11:14 AM   #250
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedIsLife View Post
People are hung up on 7.0L/427CI because that was the standard bearer in the GM world for N/A performance motors, and in general the NA market.

Motors in general are *expensive* to produce, certify, test, develop, etc...it's easy for the keyboard warriors to just say "hey just punch out the LT1 block, stroke it out, put a hotter cam in and BAM..550 HP!"...but they don't realize that it has to meet MPG requirements both within GM and trying to avoid a GG tax outside, has to meet long term durability standards, minimum warranty concerns, emissions, ease of manufacture, etc

Just because a speed shop can do it for $10,000...doesn't mean an OEM can do that. What might cost a speed shop $10,000...might cost GM $10 million.
Very well said.
Old 05-11-2016, 11:19 AM   #251
Raven87
C'mon- really?

Quote:

Exactly.
Old 05-11-2016, 11:25 AM   #252
Denis

Quote:

100% right. A speed shop can do anything because they don't have to warranty them or make them last 300k miles. Where as an OEM has to do all of this reliably.