Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

AWE Tuning

Old 05-22-2018, 09:27 PM   #1
Hyperlinkblue

Drives: 2017 1ss m6. Blue.....
1le parts on 1ss non mrc? Waste of money?

I got a few questions regarding gm performace kits and 1le parts for my 1ss non mrc. The handling kit for the mrc comes with shock tower mounts and for my car just sway bars and the front control arms?? PN 84242386. I have BMR stuff on the rear and bmr lowering springs but my front end is stock. I will most likely do bmr sway bars, but what about the shock mounts and the front ride links and handlig links which seem to be different. Whats the difference between the 1le parts and SS . Fe3 vs fe4.
Hyperlinkblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 08:04 AM   #2
Alpha1BC

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
84242386 is the front stabilizer bar, rear stabilizer bar, and front handling links that are stiffer than stock and designed to be used with the GM lowering kit. I don't know specifically which part numbers each part is, but I assume they're stiffer bars and bushings to handle the increased loads from the lowering kit. In general, the FE4 suspension is going to have stiffer bushing/rubber rates than the FE3 where there are different part numbers.

Take a look at the suspension part number megathread. It's a great breakdown of all the different components and part numbers. When you see different part numbers for FE3 vs. FE4, the FE4 part number should be the stiffer one.
Old 05-23-2018, 01:32 PM   #3
Hyperlinkblue

Drives: 2017 1ss m6. Blue.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha1BC View Post
84242386 is the front stabilizer bar, rear stabilizer bar, and front handling links that are stiffer than stock and designed to be used with the GM lowering kit. I don't know specifically which part numbers each part is, but I assume they're stiffer bars and bushings to handle the increased loads from the lowering kit. In general, the FE4 suspension is going to have stiffer bushing/rubber rates than the FE3 where there are different part numbers.

Take a look at the suspension part number megathread. It's a great breakdown of all the different components and part numbers. When you see different part numbers for FE3 vs. FE4, the FE4 part number should be the stiffer one.
So the handling links and ride links are the same except the rubber in the joint is stiffer? Thw sway bars and bushings and links will be swapped. I guess im concerned about the ride link and handling links.
Hyperlinkblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 06:45 AM   #4
Alpha1BC

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperlinkblue View Post
So the handling links and ride links are the same except the rubber in the joint is stiffer? Thw sway bars and bushings and links will be swapped. I guess im concerned about the ride link and handling links.
Correct, the bushings are the only difference between the ride and handling links in FE3 vs. FE4. The aluminum castings for the links are the same. If I'm understanding correctly that you're already planning to swap out the stab bar, stab bar bushings, and stab bar links for aftermarket parts, the only thing you're "missing" from the GM kit would be the FE4 handling links.

What's the end goal of the suspension changes you're making? That will determine if you want to get the handling links in addition to the changes you're already making.
Old 05-25-2018, 01:07 PM   #5
Mountain

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2016 1SS (previous)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperlinkblue View Post
In the GM kit part number you listed, you get the two sway bars and a pair of front suspension links (I can't keep track of the exact term GM uses for the links, but they are the front suspension, rearward position links). Those two links (FE4 variant) do NOT have a busing in them - they have a spherical joint. In comparison the SS (FE3) version has a rubber bushing at the chassis/cradle end. The spherical joint adds a significant amount more of steering feel and, likely, front wheel motion control over the FE3 bushing; something I noticed IMMEDIATELY driving between a SS 1LE and a SS.

The FE4 rear links, which are not in that kit, just have stiffer bushings over the FE3. This is why GM has the front links in the kit and not the rears - the fronts are a significant improvement and the rears aren't as much. The rears are more of a fine tuning element to the 1LE/ZL1 package.
Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote