Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 05-01-2018, 03:51 PM   #1
DaRemix86

Drives: 16' Camaro 2SS A8, HBM, MRC
Blown Engine? RIP

So yeah....

Driving home from work at 8 am on Saturday and noticed my car wasn't responding well when I was smashing the throttle. I put it into manual mode to see if that helped and nothing. kept giving it gas and I wasn't really liking how it was responding, it felt as if the transmission either slipping or I had bad lag.

I drove a bit further and heard a pop and grinding noise followed by LOOOOOOOTTTTTTTTSSSSSS of white smoke that filled the cabin. I immediately pulled over and got out of my car to see a long ass trail of white smoke coming from my tailpipes and hood. Checked under the car and saw what appeared to be oil, my tailpipes had oil coming out of them as well.

So, of course, I get it towed to my dealership, they told me as long as I haven't made any crazy mods to it, I shouldn't have any problems. Here it is Tues and they just now tearing down the engine to check to see if I have tuned the car. Once that's confirmed they will replace the engine entirely. I only have a Roto-Fab CAI installed on my car which I'm glad but this dealership seems to be mod-friendly so that helps as well.

I'll give you all an update once I hear back from the dealer.
DaRemix86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 04:17 PM   #2
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
lol damn how many miles on your car and auto it sounds like?
Old 05-01-2018, 06:10 PM   #3
Childs Play
Pizza & Wings Only $12.99

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
I don't think you'll have to worry about an intake. If you had a catch can I'd say rip that shit out of there ASAP. But I don't think I've seen someone get their warranty denied for something like that with a CAI.

Best of luck.

Past Rides:
2012 Camaro 2SS/RS M6
2012 Camaro ZL1 A6
2017 Camaro 2SS M6
Childs Play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 06:28 PM   #4
DaRemix86

It’s an auto and just hit 20k miles even, smh.... Sad part was it was during the day and a bunch of Camaros, Chargers, Challengers, Vettes we’re headed to Laughlin and there was me, completely fkd lol

Yeah she assured me that as long as that’s all I had I’ll be good. I always said I’m going to wait until my warranty expired to fully mod my car, glad I stuck to it.
Old 05-01-2018, 08:35 PM   #5
WhiteNight

Drives: MB 1SS
I like your method for trying to fix it
WhiteNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 09:07 PM   #6
MP3BOOSTED

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE (F1A-94 FBO H/C)
If a dealer ever tells you you are voided warranty just say "magnuson moss warranty act" and have fun with the battle.
Performance Mods: F1A-94, DSX Flex Fuel Kit, MSD Spark Plug Wires, KOOK 2" off road headers, MBRP Race catback exhaust, Pray Performance Custom Boost Cam, Rocker Arm Trunion Upgrade Kit, 7.850" Hardened Chromemoly Length Pushrods and Johnson Racing 2110R Lifters, TSP CNC'd Heads, Ported MSD intake manifold, 103mm Katech Throttle body, Forged Pistons/Rods, RPM Meth kit, DSX Aux Fuel system, AEM Failsafe and banks gauge, LT4 HPFP, LT4 injectors, BMR motor mounts, Hurst Short Throw, Manley SS exhaust valves

Videos of my car? Check here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNi...Qy1OL4NVGlPogw
MP3BOOSTED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 09:44 PM   #7
SnakeEyeSS

Drives: Camaro 2SS & ZL1
I don't think they would give you any trouble over the roto fab unless the filter wasn't attached or something. Which would still need some other unlike things to happen.

Quote:
Still, if it turns out that the aftermarket or recycled part was itself defective or wasn't installed correctly, and it causes damage to another part that is covered under the warranty, the manufacturer or dealer has the right to deny coverage for that part and charge you for any repairs. The FTC says the manufacturer or dealer must show that the aftermarket or recycled part caused the need for repairs before denying warranty coverage.
https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/article...ne-maintenance
Old 05-02-2018, 07:11 AM   #8
Childs Play
Pizza & Wings Only $12.99

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by MP3BOOSTED View Post
If a dealer ever tells you you are voided warranty just say "magnuson moss warranty act" and have fun with the battle.
I'm assuming you're being sarcastic. But...

If GM claimed it was because of a part that wasn't a factory component and because of an aftermarket part installed on the car that isn't within OE standards, he'd be screwed. He could battle all he wanted. He wouldn't win.

That being said. An intake isn't something I'd be concerned about them trying to deny a warranty claim over unless you were using one that required a tune and tuned it afterwards.

Past Rides:
2012 Camaro 2SS/RS M6
2012 Camaro ZL1 A6
2017 Camaro 2SS M6
Childs Play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 08:23 AM   #9
qcman

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RDP Tuned L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Childs Play View Post
I'm assuming you're being sarcastic. But...

If GM claimed it was because of a part that wasn't a factory component and because of an aftermarket part installed on the car that isn't within OE standards, he'd be screwed. He could battle all he wanted. He wouldn't win.

That being said. An intake isn't something I'd be concerned about them trying to deny a warranty claim over unless you were using one that required a tune and tuned it afterwards.
This for sure I'm assuming he's joking too. Admittedly its the least modding he could do to the car so he should be fine. OP sorry to hear about your car I'm sure it will be good as new shortly.
qcman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 09:39 PM   #10
DaRemix86

So they called me today and said that GM approved the request for them to fix my vehicle. Everything underneath the hood is being replaced and whatever else they found to be damaged.

Apparently, they were looking to see how heavily modified the vehicle was and if I were racing it. I guess either of those would have screwed me over if they found that it was the cause of the engine blowing up. So thats the good news.....

BAD NEWS

Its going to take 10+ days for them to the get the parts, then tack on installation. It's safe to say I won't be seeing my car the rest of the month probably. I hope I'm wrong but yeah.
Old 05-05-2018, 01:31 AM   #11
WhiteNight

Drives: MB 1SS
You can save it all you want, as long as it wasn't on the track without approved oil. I spun 2 bearings on the street at 5000 RPM. It's a performance car and advertised as such.
WhiteNight is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine; 2016 camaro;