Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Transmissions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 05-08-2018, 07:35 PM   #463
JoeCamaro444

Drives: 2018 2SS M6 Hot Wheels Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chutzpah View Post
Man, sorry to hear about your issues. As a fellow Mass owner, I can understand owning a car you can only drive for a few months a year, then having an issue when you should be enjoying yourself.
Another MA owner here. I’ve had her for just under a year, but only have 2400 miles in her. I’ve been lucky so far. Zero issues with her 👍🏻
1988 IROC-Z (tons of mods), 1995 Z28, 1998 Z28, 2006 GTO, 2010 Camaro 1SS, 2015 Subaru STI, a couple Acuras and multiple Jeeps.
JoeCamaro444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 05:55 AM   #464
crosive

Drives: 18 zl1
I picked my car from the dealer yesterday, in for the 2nd time for the shudder. they had to call TAC, and was informed to do a second flush, instead of a torque converter. I'm unconvinced that this will fix my problem, and will yet again be back in to fix it in another 2-3k miles, just like last time.
crosive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 06:10 AM   #465
indyz

Drives: 2SS, CT-R, LC500
Al O said triple flush then TC torque converter replacement. If you find a dealer who does both, congrats, maybe play the lotto.
indyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 06:33 AM   #466
Childs Play
Pizza & Wings Only $12.99

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by T32803 View Post
I experienced shudder with my 2018 A8 V6 last weekend.
I had a 2017 A8 V6 that also had shudder and I traded it in for the 2018.

I'll be calling the dealer to see what's next. Is the 3 time transmission
fluid flush still the recommended treatment?
Yep.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showt...9#post10177679

Past Rides:
2012 Camaro 2SS/RS M6
2012 Camaro ZL1 A6
2017 Camaro 2SS M6
Childs Play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 04:28 AM   #467
Driski

Drives: 2016 Camaro Convertible 2SS
Got an appointment for Monday to replace the door sill light and replace a belt that i can hear chirp when the car changes from 4-8 cylinder. They will try to replicate the shudder at that time and then decide what to do. Looks like i will be leaving it with them. I will report back. I have cooled down a bit sense my last post. I want to keep the car... Good luck to all and thanks for the support.
Old 05-15-2018, 04:12 PM   #468
Driski

Update in case anyone wants to hear me piss and moan. Dropped it off yesterday and they were able (of course) to feel the rumble. They did a flush (single) and changed the filter. I pleaded with them to perform the triple flush to at least give me a fighting chance that it will be the last of it but they would not concede. I will pick it up tomorrow and see what happens. As far as the rear diff, they changed the fluid. Doubt that will make any difference either.
Old 05-15-2018, 04:41 PM   #469
crosive

Drives: 18 zl1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driski View Post
Update in case anyone wants to hear me piss and moan. Dropped it off yesterday and they were able (of course) to feel the rumble. They did a flush (single) and changed the filter. I pleaded with them to perform the triple flush to at least give me a fighting chance that it will be the last of it but they would not concede. I will pick it up tomorrow and see what happens. As far as the rear diff, they changed the fluid. Doubt that will make any difference either.

They just changed the rear diff fluid? The tsb dictates to flush and fill and do 5 figure 8s.

After almost 500 miles from said tab, my groan is gone. So far.
crosive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 06:35 PM   #470
T32803

Drives: Sold it
I also hate this transmission with all the lugging when I drive it in city traffic. It's so eager to grab a higher gear then it doesn't want to downshift like a normal car when you speed up gradually. So you get a bunch of lugging until I manually downshift it.

I read that the Corvette A8 only enters AFM mode if set to ECONO mode. If this is true, does the Corvette A8 experience the same lugging issues as we do when its ECONO mode is switched off?

I ask because I want to figure out if the lugging in the Camaro is exclusive to AFM or whether it would still seek a high gear, refuse to downshift, and lug just the same if AFM mode were programmed out.

Love the car but hate this transmission.
T32803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 06:53 PM   #471
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
Quote:
Yep... if they're not getting paid to do a triple, they're not doing a triple. Unfortunate, but true.

Good luck, hope it smooth's out for you.... It's getting warm out there!!
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 04:12 AM   #472
Driski

Quote:
Originally Posted by T32803 View Post
I also hate this transmission with all the lugging when I drive it in city traffic. It's so eager to grab a higher gear then it doesn't want to downshift like a normal car when you speed up gradually. So you get a bunch of lugging until I manually downshift it.

I read that the Corvette A8 only enters AFM mode if set to ECONO mode. If this is true, does the Corvette A8 experience the same lugging issues as we do when its ECONO mode is switched off?

I ask because I want to figure out if the lugging in the Camaro is exclusive to AFM or whether it would still seek a high gear, refuse to downshift, and lug just the same if AFM mode were programmed out.

Love the car but hate this transmission.
I agree, the trans shifts up to 7th or 8th at very slow speed/city traffic. I have installed the Range AFM device and it makes it tolerable. Keeps it in V8 mode. Still is in a high gear but at least does not have to move from V4 to V8 mode. If you purchase one be sure to get it directly from Range and you will not suffer any CEL's. I have had mine in since April with no problems.
Good luck
Old 05-16-2018, 04:16 AM   #473
Driski

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosive View Post
They just changed the rear diff fluid? The tsb dictates to flush and fill and do 5 figure 8s.

After almost 500 miles from said tab, my groan is gone. So far.
Yes, not to mention, they have already replaced the diff in 2016. Enough to drive you nuts... Service manager says they will do some more research today before i pick it up but i don't expect they will actually do anything different. I will have to drive it and see if it comes back. I would bet good money it will be back. Lemon Law????
Old 05-16-2018, 04:20 AM   #474
Driski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chutzpah View Post
Yep... if they're not getting paid to do a triple, they're not doing a triple. Unfortunate, but true.

Good luck, hope it smooth's out for you.... It's getting warm out there!!
Yes, I put a few hundred miles on it up in the Berkshire Hills. Absolutely beautiful. Got thumbs up from locals even way out in the sticks. When the car is behaving it can not be beat. Thanks for the well wishes.
Old 05-16-2018, 11:04 AM   #475
Wolvie70

Drives: 2016 2SS, Summit White, A8, NPP
Quote:
Did you ask them why they did not follow the procedure described in...

- TSB #16-NA-175 Shake or Shudder During Light Throttle Acceleration

You can download or view it here...

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=516940
Wolvie70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 12:15 PM   #476
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolvie70 View Post
Did you ask them why they did not follow the procedure described in...

- TSB #16-NA-175 Shake or Shudder During Light Throttle Acceleration

You can download or view it here...

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=516940
Good question... did the tsb change? For some reason I thought 1 flush was the new norm... but not according to the below.

From GM-
So, what is the service procedure? Once we determined the issue was due to the quality of the friction modifier in the fluid, we developed a service procedure to flush and fill the transmission fluid 3 times, which eliminates most of the shudder concerns. This service process may not work for a vehicle with shudder that goes too long without service, in which case it will most likely require a new torque converter. Since we started using Dexron HP transmission fluid in March of 2017 both in production and for service, we believe we have basically eliminated the shudder. When used for service, it only requires a single flush and fill.

To summarize, if you have not experienced the shudder, you probably won’t experience the issue. If you have a 2016 or 2017 (built before March 2017) that is experiencing transmission shudder, you should get it serviced as soon as possible. If you had the ‘triple flush’ and your problem is fixed, great. If not, you will likely need a new torque converter. As always, your first stop with questions is your qualified Chevrolet dealer service station.
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote