Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 05-03-2018, 04:06 PM   #29
Godfatha

Drives: 2016 2SS Mosaic Black Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
I wouldn't throw in the towel yet....As for your above list, if anything Camaro is way behind the curve and a long way from getting most of those...

I believe Chevy's big dog nanny is Adaptive Cruise Control which incorporates a lot of stand alone features into one...the automatic braking and accelerating you will only see on an ACC equipped car....and most of those will only work with an automatic transmission....no ACC or start/stop would work with a manual transmission...

The '19 Camaro is getting Forward Collision Alert...It is just that, a beeper alert only, no braking, etc...It's not that big of a deal....Plus, as stated earlier, all of these can be turned off, if desired....

Perhaps in the 7thGen Camaro we may see a lot more "safety" features, but even by then, they will be old-hat and common on most other cars, and probably come as standard equipment....

For now the Camaro is still pretty Spartan with those features you list...2022 is a ways off, and probably when we'll see a 7thGen with some or most of those features....
Hopefully forward collision will tell me when I'm about to hit one of those obnoxious curbs that protrude out of nowhere.
Godfatha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 04:27 PM   #30
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
For now the Camaro is still pretty Spartan with those features you list...
I think that's precisely Trans Ram's point.

It's the specter of future products with ever more "just sit back and let the car do all these things for you" stuff that's indigestible for some of us.

Norm
Old 05-03-2018, 04:31 PM   #31
Childs Play
Pizza & Wings Only $12.99

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
Complain all you want. All these "nannies" save lives.

That's like complaining because you don't want to wear a seat belt.

Or like that guy who thinks he's good at racing so he turns off traction control and stability control at the track, and then bounces off the wall and blames the car...

That being said... I do like turning them off to do an all american burnout.

Past Rides:
2012 Camaro 2SS/RS M6
2012 Camaro ZL1 A6
2017 Camaro 2SS M6
Childs Play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 04:54 PM   #32
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
I miss putting coal in the firebox to generate the steam.

Sing it!!!
Old 05-03-2018, 05:17 PM   #33
Childs Play

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
I miss putting coal in the firebox to generate the steam.
How dare you. A horse is much faster than a steam engine you fustilarian.

Past Rides:
2012 Camaro 2SS/RS M6
2012 Camaro ZL1 A6
2017 Camaro 2SS M6
Old 05-03-2018, 06:19 PM   #34
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Childs Play View Post
Complain all you want. All these "nannies" save lives.
Statistically, of course. Individually? Not necessarily.

Quote:
That's like complaining because you don't want to wear a seat belt.
No, it's not. It's your active choice to buckle up, not the car's decision to do it for you . . . not since the 1970's with the automatic "mad mice" anyway.

Quote:
Or like that guy who thinks he's good at racing so he turns off traction control and stability control at the track
So what about cars made just before stability control systems showed up in them? Are you suggesting that I should be dead now - or at least Mustang-less - because my '08 never had stability control? Or because the TC it does claim to have is flat-out worthless at what it's supposed to do when I forget to turn it off? That I shouldn't have ever even considered doing HPDE/road course track days on account of that?

Norm
Old 05-03-2018, 06:32 PM   #35
Childs Play

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
Statistically, of course. Individually? Not necessarily.

No, it's not. It's your active choice to buckle up, not the car's decision to do it for you . . . not since the 1970's with the automatic "mad mice" anyway.

So what about cars made just before stability control systems showed up in them? Are you suggesting that I should be dead now - or at least Mustang-less - because my '08 never had stability control? Or because the TC it does claim to have is flat-out worthless at what it's supposed to do when I forget to turn it off? That I shouldn't have ever even considered doing HPDE/road course track days on account of that?

Norm
I feel like you took what i said a little too literally. :P
Besides the first sentence I was being mildly sarcastic, even if there is some truth to it in a way.

If you leave the nannies on however, there's a better chance of you being ok in a situation where you were distracted, vs if you didn't have the car slowing down for you.

As far as buckling up. It can also be your choice to disable certain features like lane departure warning or blind spot detection. That's where I was going with that.

And no. I was talking about people who are wayyy too overconfident in their abilities. You know... The Mustang guy who leaves the car-show doing a burnout around a corner and then wonder why they took out half the crowd. (Hah! Got a Mustang joke in there. Zing! )

But really. I was just saying they help. Not that everyone necessarily needs/wants them. However, if you're in a car that has them, and you turn them off, and then subsequently end up in an accident, you may end up wishing you had them on.

Past Rides:
2012 Camaro 2SS/RS M6
2012 Camaro ZL1 A6
2017 Camaro 2SS M6
Old 05-03-2018, 07:13 PM   #36

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfatha View Post
Hopefully forward collision will tell me when I'm about to hit one of those obnoxious curbs that protrude out of nowhere.
Well, sorry, it won't..lol.. It only works for a car directly in front of you. The car must first detect a vehicle traveling in front of you...that may take a few seconds, and only if it's directly in front of you, not off to the side...You will get a green car symbol on the dash when it detects a vehicle.(it will turn amber if you are following too close)... Forward Collision Alert (it's 8 beeps and flashing red lights on the windshield in your view)...will activate if it thinks you may not brake in time. You must do the braking, it won't do it for you.
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 07:14 AM   #37
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Childs Play View Post
I feel like you took what i said a little too literally. :P
Besides the first sentence I was being mildly sarcastic, even if there is some truth to it in a way.
Didn't catch that. Sorry.

Quote:
If you leave the nannies on however, there's a better chance of you being ok in a situation where you were distracted, vs if you didn't have the car slowing down for you.
I feel that the current advertising with respect to automatic braking is sending a very bad message along with its promise to be of great benefit . . . that the car being advertised is making it OK to let yourself be distracted.

Taking this a little further, maybe AEB activations should be considered a more severe indicator of lapses in driving than episodes of extreme braking that already count against you for insurance rating & premium purposes if you allow your driving to be monitored.

Quote:
As far as buckling up. It can also be your choice to disable certain features like lane departure warning or blind spot detection. That's where I was going with that.
Yes, you still get the choice (for now, anyway). But the default - i.e. doing nothing - isn't the same, and there's a difference in philosophy between you choosing to turn a system on and it being somebody else's choice that it be automatically turned on for you.

Quote:
And no. I was talking about people who are wayyy too overconfident in their abilities. You know... The Mustang guy who leaves the car-show doing a burnout around a corner and then wonder why they took out half the crowd. (Hah! Got a Mustang joke in there. Zing! )
Guys like that are an embarrassment to more than just Mustang owners . . . not that the morons on the curb urging those drivers on so they can video-record it are any better.

Quote:
But really. I was just saying they help. Not that everyone necessarily needs/wants them. However, if you're in a car that has them, and you turn them off, and then subsequently end up in an accident, you may end up wishing you had them on.
Point taken. Though they don't always get it right either.

Norm
Old 05-04-2018, 07:55 AM   #38
Childs Play

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
Guys like that are an embarrassment to more than just Mustang owners . . . not that the morons on the curb urging those drivers on so they can video-record it are any better.

Norm
Agreed. We had that Viper wreck leaving cars and coffee just back this past December. I think Mustang guys get flak just because they've been in the more recent wrecks.

I've seen plenty of people make mistakes leaving C&C. It definitely doesn't help when you have idiots sitting there encouraging it.

Our old C&C location got shut down after too many people were doing burnouts and a Hyundai Genesis lost control and hit a tree. :/

Past Rides:
2012 Camaro 2SS/RS M6
2012 Camaro ZL1 A6
2017 Camaro 2SS M6