Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-21-2021, 11:27 AM   #1
kburlar

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Hood vent and downforce

Hi everyone:

I like to track my 2010 SS a few times a year. When I get up in the 120 mph range, the car starts to feel a little light. I have a couple of questions.

Would a hood vent create down force to keep it more planted?

If yes, and a hood vent was installed, would it make the back end too light because the front was more firmly planted due to the newly added down force?

Thank you.
3.91 Gears, Eaton TrueTrac Posi, Billet Main Caps, Ported Throttle Body
1LE Suspension. ZL1 Springs, 2.9L Whipple Ssupercharger
kburlar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 11:54 AM   #2
RupertPupkin

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS 1Le
Depends on the design of the hood. If it’s designed like the C7 vetted where the air goes I your front grill and exits the hood scoop/vent, then it’ll create down force. You can put canards and a front splitter
730whp: 630Trq
RupertPupkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 11:58 AM   #3
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
I think even the stock camaro hood vent would help by relieving some of the pressure and allowing better air flow. I'd love to have one on my 2010.
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 12:36 PM   #4
Aqua Blue RS/SS

Drives: ABM #93
Quote:
Originally Posted by RupertPupkin View Post
Depends on the design of the hood. If it’s designed like the C7 vetted where the air goes I your front grill and exits the hood scoop/vent, then it’ll create down force. You can put canards and a front splitter
I don’t believe the vent creates extra downforce per se, as you mention it allows the air coming thru the grill, that gets trapped under the hood/car an easy escape route. Removing the rear hood seal helps a good bit there as well. The front splitter if done right will Definitely increase downforce as you mentioned. If you’ve got a ton of air getting trapped under the hood at higher speeds, that air translates into lift unless you can vent it out, which then allows the air moving over the front of the car to help plant the front rather than being over come by lift under the hood.
ABM #2399 2SS/RS:SOLD
ABM #93 2SS/RS Black Rally stripes, Titanium Interior 4,000 miles: GM GFX side skirts and diffuser waiting on paint, GM dovetail, GM heritage, RPI ZL1 style splitter.
‘87 IROC-Z Iroc blue. all original unmolested with 50K miles.
Aqua Blue RS/SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 01:09 PM   #5
Ashen 6.2

Drives: 2014 Camaro Z/SS
Some good info here on the Z28 - reference #3 for hood vent info as that vent is the same for SS & Z28's.

3. Hood extractor vent
A functional carbon fiber hood extractor provides increased engine cooling by allowing hot air an exit route, but also plays an important in the car's aero performance. It provides a path for air channeled through the grille to exit out the hood and over the car. Without the vent, the air would be pushed out the bottom of the engine compartment, which could generate lift. The design is similar to the extractor featured on the Camaro ZL1.

https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=330089

Mods - GPI 416 w/Custom Grind Cam, Ported Heads & Tuned by Ben, Mag Heartbeat, ZL1 Fuel Pump & DSX Aux Pump, NW 103 TB, FIC 1650's, Alky Meth, Circle D 3600 Triple Disc, RPM 5” CAI, Kooks Headers, Solo Cat Back, Viking Coil Overs & all the BMR Goodies in the rear, Zl1 3.23 Diff, DSS Axles, Gulfcoast Driveshaft, Hendrix Offset Diff Bushings, AFE Solid Subframe Bushings, 875HP/843TQ 5FDP
Ashen 6.2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 01:31 PM   #6
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Blue RS/SS View Post
I don’t believe the vent creates extra downforce per se, as you mention it allows the air coming thru the grill, that gets trapped under the hood/car an easy escape route. Removing the rear hood seal helps a good bit there as well. The front splitter if done right will Definitely increase downforce as you mentioned. If you’ve got a ton of air getting trapped under the hood at higher speeds, that air translates into lift unless you can vent it out, which then allows the air moving over the front of the car to help plant the front rather than being over come by lift under the hood.
^^^^ this exactly!! The air caught under the hood causes lift and in turn "lightens up" the front end, I installed Hex Vents in my stock hood and that all went away, as stated, the trapped air can escape. So any vent you install will allow that trapped air to escape and allow the front to remain firmer, and as stated here, a good front splitter will also help create some down force. Well said Aqua !!!
Old 04-21-2021, 01:33 PM   #7
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashen 6.2 View Post
Some good info here on the Z28 - reference #3 for hood vent info as that vent is the same for SS & Z28's.

3. Hood extractor vent
A functional carbon fiber hood extractor provides increased engine cooling by allowing hot air an exit route, but also plays an important in the car's aero performance. It provides a path for air channeled through the grille to exit out the hood and over the car. Without the vent, the air would be pushed out the bottom of the engine compartment, which could generate lift. The design is similar to the extractor featured on the Camaro ZL1.

Awesome info sir!!
Old 04-21-2021, 02:26 PM   #8
1911 1LE

Drives: 2015 SW 2SS 1LE
At 120mph your car should still be very stable, but if you remove the rear hood seal it will help a lot. I'm running no seal, stock 1LE hood and a ZL1 belly pan at 196mph and it's solid as a rock. BTW, removing the seal=$0.00 spent
Maggie 2650 @ 18psi/ 75mm 10 rib/ Dual alky nozzles/ Roto-fab/ ARH 2" Lt's/ GT-12 cam/ ZL1 3.23 Conv./MGW/RPS triple carbon clutch/RSG tranny upgrage/Pedders Ex. XA w/ remote cans and a lot of other crap 897/8??@tires
1911 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 03:09 PM   #9
kburlar

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Thanks for the info guys. Much appreciated.
3.91 Gears, Eaton TrueTrac Posi, Billet Main Caps, Ported Throttle Body
1LE Suspension. ZL1 Springs, 2.9L Whipple Ssupercharger
kburlar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 08:21 PM   #10
TheFlyingBananaSS
Evil Genius of Chevrolet

Drives: 2017 Z06, 2019 XTS, 2013 SS
Great info.
GPI SS2 VVT cam, ECS Novi 1500 supercharger, Corsa Extreme, Detroit Speed and BMR suspension, Circle D triple disc, Melling oil pump, LS2 chain tensioner, ATI 10% UD, DSX E85 kit, High Energy coils, BTR springs, LS2 Lifter trays, Titanium retainers, hardened push rods, FIC 1000 injectors, ZL1 pump, Mighty Mouse catch can, AEM gauges, Tial BOV, Richmond 3.91 gears, Custom gauge bezels, Speed Engineering headers, Stainless Works HF cats, DSX Aux pump, 710rwhp on E85.
TheFlyingBananaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 10:56 PM   #11
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Blue RS/SS View Post
Exactly...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashen 6.2 View Post

3. Hood extractor vent

Hadn’t seen this before, but yes, good info... I learned the hard way... Trial and error...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1JEWLDSSRS View Post
^^^^ this exactly!! The air caught under the hood causes lift and in turn "lightens up" the front end, I installed Hex Vents in my stock hood and that all went away, as stated, the trapped air can escape. So any vent you install will allow that trapped air to escape and allow the front to remain firmer, and as stated here, a good front splitter will also help create some down force. Well said Aqua !!!
Yup... Additionally, by removing the weather strip at the top of the firewall, you go a long way towards reducing the high pressure area at the base of the windshield.. The air coming from under the hood increases slip stream up the glass... By reducing the high pressure area at the back of the hood, you can actually induce a Venturi effect helping scavenge more air from under the hood... and heat... Nasty stuff really...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911 1LE View Post
At 120mph your car should still be very stable, but if you remove the rear hood seal it will help a lot. I'm running no seal, stock 1LE hood and a ZL1 belly pan at 196mph and it's solid as a rock. BTW, removing the seal=$0.00 spent
Yup... and it gives heat an avenue of escape...

$0.00 spent, and not only does it reduce under hood air pressure induced lift, it also reduces the high volume air flow under the car, thereby reducing some speed induced lift at the rear of the car... and heat, did anyone mention under hood heat...

If you are familiar with the rule of 1/3’s with regards to photography, I recommend using it when selecting and laying out hood vents...

Coming off the front of the hood, at speed, you develop a separation boundary, an area where the slip stream breaks away from the hood... This is variable based on speed... By avoiding the front third of the hood, you avoid the high pressure slip stream areas, which would introduce more air under the hood... Too far back and you weaken the hood structure.

One example is the standard mounting location for the Hex brand Vents... I am not condoning any vent over any other... They are just vents I’m familiar with and have first hand knowledge of...

Two examples are included of the same vent, mounted in two different locations, the first, too far forward For Your Purpose, and the second, more correct for Your purpose... I cheated mine back just a bit more after considering the hood structure...
Attached Images

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 11:23 PM   #12
spyderbuddy

Drives: 2010 RS Inferno Orange Metallic
Even though i will not be doing anything over the posted speed limits
I can tell a difference in wet weather
the front feels more planted with the ZL1 Hood Scoop
and the wicker bill made a real difference on the rear
Attached Images

PCP Hideaway Headlight Covers, BBK Headers & High Flow Cats, ZL1 Add-ons Wicker Bill, TL1/ZL1 Hood Insert, Gen5 DIY Frameless Mirror, ABL Dash Lighting an My link Navigation, Blacked out Rear Bowtie, all Sylvania led Turn Signals, Ceramic Window Tint By Nicks, MBRP Exhaust tips, GEN5 DIY Virginia Legal DRL Harness, Painted Brake Calipers, Vittesse Throttle Controller, Heritage Grill, Diode Dynamics Led Lighting, Manual Shifter Boot, Paddle Shifters, CNC Throttle Body, Trifecta Tune, RX Catch Can & Breather, Trunk Black out and Side Grills, Chevorlet door Sills.
spyderbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 02:08 AM   #13
rocknroll_jeph

Drives: 11 Camaro V6 RS, 03 BMW Z4
This is an interesting topic! I don't have any scientific evidence to back it up, but before I had a vented hood, after I washed my car and went for a drive, water would be pushed out from the front of the hood and sprayed back. This let me think there was a high pressure zone under the hood and trapped air was venting towards the front of the car.

After I changed the hood this issue never happened again. I also have seen improved lap times on the same suspension, wheels and tires. Differences are more practice, the hood and brakes so I can't rule one out over the others.

I like the idea of removing the rear cowl or hood seal as well. I can't wait to try that trick!
rocknroll_jeph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 04:47 AM   #14
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocknroll_jeph View Post
This is an interesting topic! I don't have any scientific evidence to back it up, but before I had a vented hood, after I washed my car and went for a drive, water would be pushed out from the front of the hood and sprayed back. This let me think there was a high pressure zone under the hood and trapped air was venting towards the front of the car.

After I changed the hood this issue never happened again. I also have seen improved lap times on the same suspension, wheels and tires. Differences are more practice, the hood and brakes so I can't rule one out over the others.

I like the idea of removing the rear cowl or hood seal as well. I can't wait to try that trick!
Approaching and exceeding 200 mph, my factory hood was bouncing like crazy at the hinged end, near the windshield... It was catching air and building pressure, and the only escape Avenue was down, under the car... The bouncing was the hood burping excess pressure out when it couldn’t all escape down through the engine bay...

We discussed this and the decision was made on a recommendation from a fellow racer to remove the weather strip...

The hood settled down, the front end felt more planted and we saw a small decrease in coolant temps, (higher air flow through the radiator...)

For the next event, after a ton of research, I purchased and installed the vents... Notable further improvement in both speed, car settling, and coolant temps, as well as a drop in oil temps...

We continued learning at every event, occasionally on accident, sometimes via an aha moment, and once in a while through painfully expensive situations... I lifted a head, and lost the motor but learned the effectiveness of our ground effects efforts...

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote