Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Phastek Performance

Old 04-22-2021, 05:58 PM   #15
Badmojo
aka BeastZL1

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE, 2004 Cobra
Coby Shield had the full DSC system on his SS 1LE. I have the DSC Sport Controller for the factory mag shocks. I love being able to tweak the understeer bias based on the tires I'm running, but the software is not user friendly and DSC doesn't provide tuning support or help. You are left to fend for yourself.

Compared to the ZL1 1LE with DSSV, my car has better weight transfer in brake zones and corner exit grip. The ZL1 1LE is more predictable and has a higher threshold of yaw. I consider them more equivalent than an upgrade.
Old 04-23-2021, 06:11 AM   #16
khcoaching

Drives: 2021 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badmojo View Post
Coby Shield had the full DSC system on his SS 1LE. I have the DSC Sport Controller for the factory mag shocks. I love being able to tweak the understeer bias based on the tires I'm running, but the software is not user friendly and DSC doesn't provide tuning support or help. You are left to fend for yourself.

Compared to the ZL1 1LE with DSSV, my car has better weight transfer in brake zones and corner exit grip. The ZL1 1LE is more predictable and has a higher threshold of yaw. I consider them more equivalent than an upgrade.
Great information....thank you!

Being able to fine tune some of the damping characteristics would be huge. Even though it is expensive, if you can get tuning that is close to coil overs, not a bad way to go. I've watched a few videos on the software...yikes.

Ken
khcoaching is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 06:22 AM   #17
khcoaching

Drives: 2021 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotis View Post
Right now I have it penciled into my schedule for the SCCA TT in July. I did a 1:49 pre-repave, on old Rival-S 1.0's with wrecked shoulders from over-driving the out lap on low pressures.

With good 200tw tires on the new surface it seems like a 1:46 is well within the realm of possibility.
Awesome, I have a client that is doing the July Global Attack event.

With your car, a 46 is for sure a possibility. My bone stock (literally the day after I bought it, no alignment, etc.) SS1LE went a high 1:51...my goal is a 47 with it this summer once it is set up.

Ken
khcoaching is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 11:20 AM   #18
rotis

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by khcoaching View Post
Awesome, I have a client that is doing the July Global Attack event.

With your car, a 46 is for sure a possibility. My bone stock (literally the day after I bought it, no alignment, etc.) SS1LE went a high 1:51...my goal is a 47 with it this summer once it is set up.

Ken
Yeah, for sure. I did a high 1:49 in the car on my very first day seeing the track, then the following morning it was very cold and I wrecked the shoulders by starting with too low cold pressures and couldn't really improve the time even though I was driving significantly better. The car was crazy loose through turn 6. My video is linked in the lap time thread, I had a few little moments in that corner. If I hadn't trashed the tires I felt like I shoulda been in the 47's.

Anyhow, back on topic, heh. For what it is, the DSSV setup is very good. If you aren't planning to get really aggressive with wheel/tire fitment, I think the easy upgrade is to run the A10 DSSV rears. They were valved softer, you can get them from rockauto for a decent price, and they really fix everything I disliked about the stock DSSV setup.
rotis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 05:12 PM   #19
seanblurr

Drives: ZL1 1LE
That's an interesting idea. I actually remember an early review of the ZLE where Pobst commented on the rear just being a bit too oversprung.

My thought process for an upgrade was really just to finally take the step into turning this car into a 100% track car. To actually be able to set up the suspension for an increase in aero and different tires.
Old 04-23-2021, 05:15 PM   #20
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanblurr View Post
That's an interesting idea. I actually remember an early review of the ZLE where Pobst commented on the rear just being a bit too oversprung.

My thought process for an upgrade was really just to finally take the step into turning this car into a 100% track car. To actually be able to set up the suspension for an increase in aero and different tires.

talk to the blue dragon guys out in texas they have one of the most modified zl1 1le i have ever seen
Old 04-23-2021, 08:22 PM   #21
ZRacerLE

Drives: The DSSV Twins: ZR2 and ZLE A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kropscamaro16 View Post
talk to the blue dragon guys out in texas they have one of the most modified zl1 1le i have ever seen
+1 on that... super fast car
ZRacerLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 07:40 AM   #22
That1guy_tim

Drives: Camaro 1ss
Quote:
99% sure those guys are on Detroit speed coilovers.
Old 04-24-2021, 07:49 AM   #23
ZRacerLE

Drives: The DSSV Twins: ZR2 and ZLE A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotis View Post
Yeah, for sure. I did a high 1:49 in the car on my very first day seeing the track, then the following morning it was very cold and I wrecked the shoulders by starting with too low cold pressures and couldn't really improve the time even though I was driving significantly better. The car was crazy loose through turn 6. My video is linked in the lap time thread, I had a few little moments in that corner. If I hadn't trashed the tires I felt like I shoulda been in the 47's.

Anyhow, back on topic, heh. For what it is, the DSSV setup is very good. If you aren't planning to get really aggressive with wheel/tire fitment, I think the easy upgrade is to run the A10 DSSV rears. They were valved softer, you can get them from rockauto for a decent price, and they really fix everything I disliked about the stock DSSV setup.
I didn't realize the A10 DSSV rears were softer. Interesting. Is this to allow for more aggressive auto shift up?
ZRacerLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 06:00 PM   #24
Badmojo
aka BeastZL1

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE, 2004 Cobra
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZRacerLE View Post
I didn't realize the A10 DSSV rears were softer. Interesting. Is this to allow for more aggressive auto shift up?

This is why going to an electronically adjustable shock setup is interesting. You are going from fixed to fixed setup and it might not be desirable.
Old 04-26-2021, 11:39 AM   #25
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by That1guy_tim View Post
99% sure those guys are on Detroit speed coilovers.
which are just relabeled jrz coilovers

ive done so much research on suspension and coilovers since i got my car

afe power /pfady was suppose to do coilovers for my car which were awesome on the 5th gens and corvettes but never happen so thats why ive had to do some more research on my side
Old 04-30-2021, 08:27 PM   #26
GunMetalGrey

Drives: Track prepped 2018 Camaro ZL1 (a10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanblurr View Post
Yes I remember the same thing

Quote:
SPL Parts talked about them a lot because they have all the SPL suspension parts on that car too
Old 04-30-2021, 09:23 PM   #27
Tay

Drives: 1985 Oldsmobuick
Quote:
which are just relabeled jrz coilovers

ive done so much research on suspension and coilovers since i got my car

afe power /pfady was suppose to do coilovers for my car which were awesome on the 5th gens and corvettes but never happen so thats why ive had to do some more research on my side
You mean JRi, not JRZ correct?
Tay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 02:21 AM   #28
FNxR3DNECK

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
This may be an extreme long shot BUT if I can find a decent contact with them over here (that speaks english lol) I'm going to try and see if I can get KW to adapt their version 4 or 5 coilovers for our cars. The only thing they have listed for 6th gens currently is their V3 which is only single adjustable so I don't think that's worth the trouble. They just released a V5 kit for C8, that's is ideally what I would want since they are 4-way adjustable but I'm not going to hold my breath. Gonna poke around at some of the shops up at the Ring soon and see if anyone has a good contact at KW.