#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Phastek Performance

Old 07-16-2020, 11:56 AM   #155
clyde

Drives: broken
Quote:
Originally Posted by foshjowler View Post
I too am a big believer in square setups, but it's still better to have more grip regardless if it's just the rear axle. I have some trouble coming out of slow corners, and that's on 305s.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msquared View Post
Yep, you can never go wrong by adding grip, which is what the wider rears do.
Without testing, I wouldn't say one way or the other is better. Adding width only at the rear might make the car quicker. I'm just thoroughly unconvinced it's a no-brainer.

Quote:
You always juggle front and rear spring and sway bar rates to move some of the added grip forward if you want. ETA: which I'm sure Chevy did with that package, because the SS 1LE is not at all pushy. That is, Chevy is not afraid to sell us a pretty neutral car (which is great, btw).
I think everything I've read is that the V6 and turbo 1LEs get the base SS springs, shocks, bars, and the 9.5" rear wheels. That description makes want to belive that it improves the turbo, but the SS is a different car with 300some pounds hanging on the nose and a ton more power which comes on lineally without occasionally ill-timed, but always laggy boost.

Can we really draw a straight line from a parts bin package like that on the turbo back to what they did for the SS 1LE? With its mag shocks, trick LSD, wider wheels front and rear?

I mean, I don't know. I haven't driven a turbo 1LE, so I can't compare even anecdotally. I want the turbo 1LE really good. I want it to be better than the non-1LE. I'm just unconvinced that it is and I worry a little that it could be slower in an autocross environment.

1LE or not, for DS what the Camaro needs are shocks. If I was thinking about buying one today, I'd talk to Jeff at Pro Parts about theirs. The quickest option may be a non-1LE on those shocks and running 18" wheels.
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 08:51 PM   #156
apexit53

Drives: 22 1SS 1LE Summit White
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
Without testing, I wouldn't say one way or the other is better. Adding width only at the rear might make the car quicker. I'm just thoroughly unconvinced it's a no-brainer.

I think everything I've read is that the V6 and turbo 1LEs get the base SS springs, shocks, bars, and the 9.5" rear wheels. That description makes want to belive that it improves the turbo, but the SS is a different car with 300some pounds hanging on the nose and a ton more power which comes on lineally without occasionally ill-timed, but always laggy boost.

Can we really draw a straight line from a parts bin package like that on the turbo back to what they did for the SS 1LE? With its mag shocks, trick LSD, wider wheels front and rear?

I mean, I don't know. I haven't driven a turbo 1LE, so I can't compare even anecdotally. I want the turbo 1LE really good. I want it to be better than the non-1LE. I'm just unconvinced that it is and I worry a little that it could be slower in an autocross environment.

1LE or not, for DS what the Camaro needs are shocks. If I was thinking about buying one today, I'd talk to Jeff at Pro Parts about theirs. The quickest option may be a non-1LE on those shocks and running 18" wheels.

18" wheels and yokes!
#53 F Street
2022 Sponsor autocrossdigits.com
Autocrossing Videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCm-...3tiMt0KOg_2Aag
Instagram: apexit_53
2022 Rapid Blue 1SS 1LE
2019 D Street national champion (2019 civic Type R)
apexit53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 04:38 PM   #157
conemark

Drives: Boost Coupe Stewie formerly '01 Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexit53 View Post
18" wheels and yokes!
Well, we went and did it: A 2018 1LS is in our hands and now the tire shopping begins.

A little help please: Does the "tread width within a half inch of wheel width" rule apply to the A052's, and possibly the Falken RT660's? Both of those tires come in a 255/40R18 that measures 9.4" of treadwidth.
conemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 09:48 PM   #158
Msquared

Drives: Chevrolet SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by conemark View Post
Well, we went and did it: A 2018 1LS is in our hands and now the tire shopping begins.

A little help please: Does the "tread width within a half inch of wheel width" rule apply to the A052's, and possibly the Falken RT660's? Both of those tires come in a 255/40R18 that measures 9.4" of treadwidth.
You can just look up the tire companies' recommended rim widths for those tires. Both of those tires in that size recommend 8.5-10 rim widths. Your car has 18x8.5" wheels, right? So you'd be covered.

That said, for autocross or road course usage I'd also look at two other options. One would be the 245/40/18, which is a bit narrower and shorter but is less "pinched" on the wheel. It might actually work better for you because of that - I seriously doubt it would be slower. Also, you could try the 255/35/18, which is just as wide but an inch shorter than the 255/40. That would lower your CG and roll centers a useful amount and effectively shorten your rear gear ratio. This could be helpful it doesn't cause you to have to shift between 2nd-3rd on most courses. Both tires come in those two alternative sizes.
Old 05-19-2021, 03:28 PM   #159
conemark

Quote:
You can just look up the tire companies' recommended rim widths for those tires. Both of those tires in that size recommend 8.5-10 rim widths. Your car has 18x8.5" wheels, right? So you'd be covered.

That said, for autocross or road course usage I'd also look at two other options. One would be the 245/40/18, which is a bit narrower and shorter but is less "pinched" on the wheel. It might actually work better for you because of that - I seriously doubt it would be slower. Also, you could try the 255/35/18, which is just as wide but an inch shorter than the 255/40. That would lower your CG and roll centers a useful amount and effectively shorten your rear gear ratio. This could be helpful it doesn't cause you to have to shift between 2nd-3rd on most courses. Both tires come in those two alternative sizes.
Thank you for putting a few options out there. For now, we're going to stick with Clyde's 18x8.5 set that has some 275/35R18 Bridgestone RE-71R's from the great flood of Lincoln. They do look a bit pinched on the wheel, and at 10" of tread width versus an 8.5" wheel, are likely so. The gearing is a concern, given that we may now be looking at top of second gear in the 58-59MPH range. However it's also "proven" to work.

What are the thoughts on mixing sets such as a BFG rear and Bridgestone front, since contingency is not a factor?
Old 05-19-2021, 09:26 PM   #160
Msquared

Drives: Chevrolet SS 1LE
Quote:
What are the thoughts on mixing sets such as a BFG rear and Bridgestone front, since contingency is not a factor?
I'm no autocross super-star or expert, but I've never tried mixing different brands of tires and can't really see a good reason to do so.
Old 05-20-2021, 07:25 AM   #161
foshjowler

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2.0T, 91 Miata
Quote:
I'm no autocross super-star or expert, but I've never tried mixing different brands of tires and can't really see a good reason to do so.
It's possible that it would be faster, maybe, but I don't really see it. The BFGs like heat, but if I have any issues with my car, it's getting enough heat into the BFGs, especially in the rear. Granted, I have 305s only making that problem worse. I think the problem is that the 2.0T isn't all that heavy of a car, and doesn't have the power to light up the rears at will. It's also not a huge problem on 90+ degree days as the pavement is near operating temp for these tires.

I have some RE71Rs coming, so once I finish the Rivals, I'll see how they do.

Youtube Channel

foshjowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 08:51 AM   #162
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2021 Shadow Grey Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Thank you for putting a few options out there. For now, we're going to stick with Clyde's 18x8.5 set that has some 275/35R18 Bridgestone RE-71R's from the great flood of Lincoln. They do look a bit pinched on the wheel, and at 10" of tread width versus an 8.5" wheel, are likely so. The gearing is a concern, given that we may now be looking at top of second gear in the 58-59MPH range. However it's also "proven" to work.

A friend who is a top autocrosser in our events that drives a mustang, at one time used re71s in front for steering response and bfgs in rear for more forward grip and worked well. Though he was one of few who tried it.
VR Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 08:52 AM   #163
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by foshjowler View Post
It's possible that it would be faster, maybe, but I don't really see it. The BFGs like heat, but if I have any issues with my car, it's getting enough heat into the BFGs, especially in the rear. Granted, I have 305s only making that problem worse. I think the problem is that the 2.0T isn't all that heavy of a car, and doesn't have the power to light up the rears at will. It's also not a huge problem on 90+ degree days as the pavement is near operating temp for these tires.

I have some RE71Rs coming, so once I finish the Rivals, I'll see how they do.
Re71s heat up fast. 1/2 -1 lap
Old 05-21-2021, 03:22 PM   #164
conemark

Quote:
Originally Posted by VR Baron View Post
A friend who is a top autocrosser in our events that drives a mustang, at one time used re71s in front for steering response and bfgs in rear for more forward grip and worked well. Though he was one of few who tried it.
This is exactly along the lines of what I'm thinking of. We generally know that the Bridgestone has the better lateral feel and grip with the BFG being generally better longitudinally.
Old 05-21-2021, 04:32 PM   #165
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Quote:
This is exactly along the lines of what I'm thinking of. We generally know that the Bridgestone has the better lateral feel and grip with the BFG being generally better longitudinally.
Yep. He hated the bfgs upfront. So did I on my fifth gen. They felt good only after I stiffened up the front coilivers from middle to the stiff settings.
Old 05-31-2021, 07:42 PM   #166
conemark

A bit more clicking around reveals an interesting option: The Yokohama A052 in 265/45R18. The tread width runs 9.2" across, so it's slightly pinched but not overly so on the wheel. The diameter is within 2/10's of an inch of the OE size, so gearing is preserved (not sure if that's good or bad) for the bigger national courses.
Old 06-06-2021, 01:11 PM   #167
conemark

Video of the first outing of the new to us 2018 Camaro 1LS in D-Street from ysterday's local NNJR SCCA event. I asked my friend Tony Savini to co-drive to provide feedback and coaching. He managed a P3 finish in a car that we basically put some RE-71R's inf ront and Riva S 1.5's in the rear. I came in a distant P4, but am happy to see some potential with more seat time and prep.

As always, feedback and critiques are welcome - https://vimeo.com/559578651
Old 06-07-2021, 12:03 AM   #168
NLZN21

Drives: 2009 370z
If you were local, I'd let you try mine (actually a few swapped runs would be fun as I'd like to compare the 1LE v LS. I've only got one event and one track event for this year and the season has been a mess with local site issues. I was really sad I couldn't make the Peru tour event this weekend too. Really as far as AX is concerned, my only big complaint is so far is the throttle response. More camber would be a majorly welcomed addition. I have a feeling after this season I'm going to be frustrated and end up in cam with a tune to resolve the throttle issues, camber plates and some 285 or 305 squared shoes.
NLZN21 is offline   Reply With Quote