Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-06-2013, 09:23 PM   #57
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrpiii View Post
I always enjoy this debat. I guess we all ASSUME we each have 3 or 4 cars and can walk out to our driveway and choose which car we will drive today.

OP, you are right, I am fortunate enough to have a second vehicle, truck, that I can drive in the winter months. But at the same time, I have several friends that this is all they have and they make it work year after year. They love the car, and do not have funds to purchase multiple vehicles.
You don't need a whole lot of cash to get a winter beater. If you set your standards low enough, the difference in insurance and the cost of a set of winter wheels & tires for the Camaro it might not cost you much more to have a have that other car for the winter. And a thousand dollar hauler can be surprisingly fun in the snow, especially when you think of it as a disposable vehicle.

Storing the car can be more problematic though. My brothers usually stored their spare vehicle out on our uncles farm, but not everyone has someone like that they can go to.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:52 PM   #58
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SixGracing View Post
I've noticed a lot of Camaro's trudging through the snow lately and was wondering, anyone else do this? I have only had mine in the rain twice that I can remember and would NEVER drive it in the snow. Not to mention, I can't imagine it being much of a snow car. Yes, the Camaro becomes a very expensive paper-weight in the winter, but come springtime, it rolls out still looking like the day I bought it.
Please don't take offense, but I have noticed that almost anyone under 30 thinks a RWD car is difficult to drive in snow. Most of them also think that the peak HP and torque of a new V8 Camaro means it's some kind of problem in the snow, if you can get around the difficulty of driving RWD in the snow

Respectfully, it's complete nonsense. I have a vintage RWD musclecar that makes 400 hp and 510 lb/ft, at 2200 rpm, from a 7.5L V8. I drove that through seven New England winters, with lots of snow. I ran 235/60/15s all year, and they were not snow tires, they were T/A Radials

I got stuck once. I've put 200K miles on the car, I'd estimate 50K is from winter driving. My dad and his dad never had issues driving RWD in the snow either. It's not a mystical gift or anything...
Old 02-07-2013, 03:50 AM   #59
BlueRay-J

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
You don't need a whole lot of cash to get a winter beater. If you set your standards low enough, the difference in insurance and the cost of a set of winter wheels & tires for the Camaro it might not cost you much more to have a have that other car for the winter. And a thousand dollar hauler can be surprisingly fun in the snow, especially when you think of it as a disposable vehicle.

Storing the car can be more problematic though. My brothers usually stored their spare vehicle out on our uncles farm, but not everyone has someone like that they can go to.
What is the reliability of your disposable vehicle? I'm assuming you will not accomplish maintenance because it's disposable. If you do, that's an added cost especially when you get to the higher mileage.

Snow tires are the most cost effective. Consider that you lengthen the serviceability of your summer tires too, the cost of snows become moot as you would have to purchase tires eventually any way.

And then there is always that weird feeling as you drive your disposable vehicle of why did you pay 35k or more for the pleasure of driving a jalopy part of the year.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
BlueRay-J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:51 AM   #60
attymf

Drives: 2017 SS
Here's mine in the snow LOL

SS, A8, Procharger, M&T's and stuff...
attymf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:53 AM   #61
BlueRay-J

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by attymf View Post
Here's mine in the snow LOL

Mine looks just like that, except replace the snow with Salt!
BlueRay-J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:24 AM   #62
PeeBee

Drives: "Bee" ZL585, Dark Blue Suburban.
LOL at the above pic

Michelin Pilot Sports were useless in the snow, with 517 rwhp. I did more burnouts than anything else, and as a result finished off the rear tires in 4 days of snow.

I ended up buying Pirelli Sottozeros in 255/40R20 and 305/35R20, and so far they are really good in the snow.
PeeBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:21 AM   #63
JeSSter

Drives: 2011 RS/SS Cyber Gray Metallic
I'm on my third winter with my Blizzak WS-70s on 18 inch Borbet wheels. I have a 2011 2SS/RS L99 Auto. I have not had any problems in 3 Southeast Michigan winters of driving. On numerous occasions (icy hills) I've had to pull around and pass 4X4 trucks and SUVs because they were slow or couldn't make it. My company gives me a car allowance, I would never drive a beater in the winter, it is 50 miles one way to work. My Camaro has just about 72K on it right now, I bought it to drive. If I was going to buy something to leave in the garage most of the time, I might get the new Stingray.
JeSSter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 12:35 PM   #64
G8RH8R

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS (Black/Black)
Man! I got caught out a couple of weeks ago in a snow squall on a day when no precipitation was even forecast. I had to creep home, and going up even the slightest incline I was all over the road; definitely not a snow car IMHO.
Old 02-07-2013, 02:46 PM   #65
meissen
Founder - Michigan FBody

Drives: 1994 Camaro LT1, 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Sounds like you need the !driver mod.

"Gone But Not Forgotten"
2016 Camaro 1LT A8 - "Elmo"
2014 Camaro 1LT M6 - "Cherry Bomb"
2012 Camaro 1LS M6 - "Clifford"

Michigan FBody Association
http://www.mifbody.com/
meissen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 02:49 PM   #66
Pro Stock John
Writer

Drives: 2010 SS / 1967 Camaro
My Pirelli snow tires are bad ass:

12.37@112 1.85 | + Kooks Headers/Cats + 20" 555R + CAI + BW TB + UDP + Tune
12.06@113 1.70 | + CD 3200 + 18" NT05R + RCR Intake + NE OTR + GPI Tune
11.84@115 1.59 | + 3.91s + Race Star 17x7 Fronts
10.90@125 1.47 | + GPI VVT Cam + BW Ported Heads + CD 3800
Pro Stock John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 03:17 PM   #67
metthem

Drives: 2011 LS
Im a beast in the snow with my blizzaks.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=274484
Trifecta tune, CAI intake, ADM Race Scoop, Doug Thorley Shorties, Solo High Flow Cats, Magnaflow resonated X-pipe, Flowmaster AMT axle back, Gary's custom front bowtie, rear bowtie delete, tinted windows, headlights, and taillights, debadged fenders, gunmetal gills, gunmetal tailgate (CAMARO)
metthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:01 PM   #68
vegas1

Drives: 2012 45th Edition Camaro
When the first ice hits, time to polish the car,put the cover on let it set in the garage all winter, then after a few rains to get the salt off the roads,she comes out for spring and summer.Thats why I am moving to Las Vegas before next winter.I want to drive it all year round!!Wisconsin sucks.
vegas1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:06 PM   #69
ToolFan66

Drives: 2011 2SS 6.2L W/RS package
So your moving from one shit hole to another just the other one is warmer?

JK I love Vegas just not sure I would want to live there..

KooKs LT Headers, Borla S-Type cat back, RotoFab CAI, Bo White PTB, RMCR tune...
ToolFan66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:13 PM   #70
vegas1

Drives: 2012 45th Edition Camaro
Yeah,but a fun place to start.Who knows where I will end up.But it will be somewhere warm. This snow and ice sucks.
vegas1 is offline   Reply With Quote