Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Nav, Radar, Electronics

Phastek Performance

Old 10-07-2019, 08:34 AM   #1
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Drives: Fast if no one's looking
Audio upgrade thread for 2019+ w/Bose factory system

I thought I'd start a thread for anyone who has a 2019+ Camaro with the factory Bose system who is or plan on upgrading speakers and/or amplifiers. I'd like to do this on mine when I buy it and I'm sort of looking for advice and see what people are doing for the workarounds on the factory system. The 2019 being a completely different configuration from the 2016-18 Bose system I just thought it would be a nice thread to have to share tip and info.
Petrol Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 11:15 PM   #2
SICK ZL1

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZL1 10 speed
I am interested in this also.
SICK ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 01:49 AM   #3
chevcanada

Drives: chevy Camaro
cannot get rid of floor noise. Troubleshooted everywhere i guess the signal is not good enough. i believe Nav. TV is coming out with a product soon

Last edited by chevcanada; 10-11-2019 at 02:03 AM.
chevcanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 07:54 AM   #4
RideWithDanger

Drives: 23 2SS 1LE
I just added a sub and amp. The mids and highs are definitely underwhelming on this system unfortunately but the best option is to replace the system entirely and I really dont feel like doing that.

Radiant Red 23' 2SS 1LE
1100: 11/14/22 | BUILT: 3/16/23
2000: 2/17/23 | 4200: 5/8/23
3000: 2/27/23 | 5000/6000: 5/15/23

Black on black 2019 3LT RS Camaro.
1100: 3/7/19 | 4200: 4/15/19
3100: 3/15/19 | 4800: 4/23/19
3400: 3/22/19 | 5000: 4/25/19
Built: 4/8/19 | Home: 4/26/19
RideWithDanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 08:33 AM   #5
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by RideWithDanger View Post
I just added a sub and amp. The mids and highs are definitely underwhelming on this system unfortunately but the best option is to replace the system entirely and I really dont feel like doing that.
I have a couple of really good amps that are about 20 years old but still work great. An Alpine and a Pioneer. There's not really a market to sell them since they're so old but they still work great so I might as well put them to good use.
Old 05-10-2021, 10:48 AM   #6
Michael-k

Drives: '21 Camaro
Wow -- nothing for more than 1.5 years! Well, perhaps I can revive it.
At least, I think that this is the 'official' '19+ Bose upgrade thread -- yes?

At first, all I knew about the audio system was that I could add a subwoofer. But then I saw the https://navtv.com/products/NTV-KIT955/zen-avb-gm.html
I love this thing! It (I believe) will allow me to do a really custom system.

I saw some other companies mentioned --
https://axxessdsp.com/
https://pac-audio.com/
Looks like PAC has just cables (for Camaros).
How does the AX-DSPX compare to the ZEN AVB unit? Anyway, it's just for Chrysler right now.

There is 1 important issue I need to know about the ZEN box -- can the OEM unit be put back in? Say there's a problem with the audio/navigation/climate control system. Does any wiring or anything have to be modified to install the ZEN box?
sold: 2000 Mercury Cougar -- V6, citrus gold, 5-speed, sunroof
Michael-k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 11:01 AM   #7
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael-k View Post
Wow -- nothing for more than 1.5 years! Well, perhaps I can revive it.
At least, I think that this is the 'official' '19+ Bose upgrade thread -- yes?

At first, all I knew about the audio system was that I could add a subwoofer. But then I saw the https://navtv.com/products/NTV-KIT955/zen-avb-gm.html
I love this thing! It (I believe) will allow me to do a really custom system.

I saw some other companies mentioned --
https://axxessdsp.com/
https://pac-audio.com/
Looks like PAC has just cables (for Camaros).
How does the AX-DSPX compare to the ZEN AVB unit? Anyway, it's just for Chrysler right now.

There is 1 important issue I need to know about the ZEN box -- can the OEM unit be put back in? Say there's a problem with the audio/navigation/climate control system. Does any wiring or anything have to be modified to install the ZEN box?
Right now there's actually NOTHING available on the market that will specifically work with the IOS/IOT code system for the 2019+ Camaros with Bose/nav.

NAV TV has suspended production of the ZEN AVB due to the chip shortage. None of the other systems you mention are actually engineered to integrate seamlessly into the factory system using General Motors IO data architecture and hardware harness plug designs.

The ZEN was the only device on the market that was literally plug and play, removing the factory Bose amp and plugging the ZEN in into it's place. It takes the 9 speaker multiplex digital data and mixes/decodes it down to 4 speaker, 2 channel analog audio with RCA outputs for standard 12 volt analog car stereo aftermarket amplifiers. It retains all factory chimes, turn signals, backup sensor indicators, and all other reminders. It also eliminates the active bass rolloff the factory uses to keep you from blowing your rear package shelf woofers by reducing bass boost as you turn the volume up, and gives you full bandwidith to all channels eliminating the crossed over tweeters in the doors and woofers in the rear package shelf.

I am not sure how well the other products would work in our cars, but the ZEN is really the only one I've read that actually does at least what I want - a full range signal 4 speaker, 2 channel stereo that includes all factory chimes.

You have to be careful and read everything on these other vendor's website pages. I just briefly looked at axxess - they say it's compatible with the IOS/IOT system which is the Bose factory system, but in the description of the individual processor it says "compatible with non-amplified systems only". Well IOS/IOT is amplified. IOS is non-nav, IOT is with nav.

Frankly I would never trust any device made by a company that cannot get the specifics of the actual device accurate on their website. These are complex systems in modern cars and you need the EXACT component that is engineered SPECIFICALLY for your exact year/make/model/trim.
Old 05-10-2021, 01:09 PM   #8
Michael-k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrol Head View Post
Right now there's actually NOTHING available on the market that will specifically work with the IOS/IOT code system for the 2019+ Camaros with Bose/nav.

NAV TV has suspended production of the ZEN AVB due to the chip shortage. None of the other systems you mention are actually engineered to integrate seamlessly into the factory system using General Motors IO data architecture and hardware harness plug designs.

Yeah, I've been keeping track of that unit.
Actually, I forgot to ask -- does anyone have anything a bit more specific from NAVTV? Like, when they'll get back to production.
Old 05-10-2021, 02:31 PM   #9
chevcanada

Drives: chevy Camaro
Chip shortage yes but they suspend production due to a new upgraded version set to be released in the next 30 days! So this is great news.
chevcanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 03:10 PM   #10
SWRocket

Drives: 2021 2SS
I've been using the Zen for a while now and I have to say it's worked flawlessly!
I am waiting for their new one in the hopes that the optical works right (unlike the old one) and I can do full digital.
2021 2SS A10 - Summit White - NPP - MRC - Adrenaline Red Interior Pkg - Black Appearance Pkg - Ground Effect Pkg - Suede Steering Wheel and shifter - Red Calipers - Carbon Flash Wheels w black lug nuts - DD Tinted Side Markers - Hero Tinted Rear Reflectors - Redline Fender Badges - 20% Tint
Audio System Build Log
-----------------------------------------------------------
2014 Z/28 Summit White - sold 2020
2010 2SS/RS Summit White - sold 2014
SWRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 11:07 PM   #11
Plasar

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Vert M6
Slight clarification Petrol Head:

Quote:
The M650-GM produces a 6 channel analog output (Front L/R, Rear L/R, Sub and Center). All warning chimes and audible turn signal indications are attenuated to factory levels and, along with OnstarŪ, Navigation prompts and Bluetooth, are passed to the proper output channels, eliminating the need for an external speaker.
NAV TV - M650-GM
Plasar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 09:24 PM   #12
Michael-k

Does anyone have the specs for the drivers in the Bose system? Or, know where to get them?

I'm thinking of doing a custom system (with the ZEN AVB box), and would like to know if I can still use any of the installed drivers.
I need to know the RMS and frequency response of the drivers, to check if they'll be OK with the new amplifiers. And, if I do replace them, I'll need to know the sizes.

OR -- are they all barely adequate, and I should just replace all of them. Especially considering that it'll be a few watts higher than the Bose!

Btw -- yes, I'll also put in sound deadener.

Will probably get a professional to do this!
Old 06-03-2021, 12:28 PM   #13
Plasar

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Vert M6
Michael K:

Some links and you can search threads in Camaro 6 too:

Crutchfield - 2016-up Chevrolet Camaro

Crutchfield - My Car

eBay Auction - Camaro Bose Speakers

The Bose speakers look like cheap paper, lame magnets, and I certainly concluded the whole mess had to go.

ZL1 Vert Stereo Upgrade
Plasar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 10:41 AM   #14
Zr8000

Drives: Chevy Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrol Head View Post

The ZEN was the only device on the market that was literally plug and play, removing the factory Bose amp and plugging the ZEN in into it's place. It takes the 9 speaker multiplex digital data and mixes/decodes it down to 4 speaker, 2 channel analog audio with RCA outputs for standard 12 volt analog car stereo aftermarket amplifiers. It retains all factory chimes, turn signals, backup sensor indicators, and all other reminders. It also eliminates the active bass rolloff the factory uses to keep you from blowing your rear package shelf woofers by reducing bass boost as you turn the volume up, and gives you full bandwidith to all channels eliminating the crossed over tweeters in the doors and woofers in the rear package shelf.

I am not sure how well the other products would work in our cars, but the ZEN is really the only one I've read that actually does at least what I want - a full range signal 4 speaker, 2 channel stereo that includes all factory chimes.

You have to be careful and read everything on these other vendor's website pages. I just briefly looked at axxess - they say it's compatible with the IOS/IOT system which is the Bose factory system, but in the description of the individual processor it says "compatible with non-amplified systems only". Well IOS/IOT is amplified. IOS is non-nav, IOT is with nav.

Frankly I would never trust any device made by a company that cannot get the specifics of the actual device accurate on their website. These are complex systems in modern cars and you need the EXACT component that is engineered SPECIFICALLY for your exact year/make/model/trim.
The jl fix dose that.
Zr8000 is offline   Reply With Quote