Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

AWE Tuning

Old 04-20-2018, 09:20 PM   #1
Marko

Drives: Camaro
Priming a new Oil Filter

Just wondering if it’s a big deal if I don’t have a new oil filter primed after an oil change. I’m gonna take my car in to have it changed.

Health issues prevent me from doing it myself.

I never primed the filter on my 03 Cobra when I used to change it. And it’s fine.
Marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 04:09 PM   #2
Gen6 softtop

Drives: Hyper blue 1ss convertible 6 sp
Ive always primed it, I think that is referring to pouring some oil into the filter before installing it otherwise you could starve the engine while filter primes and fills. I'm sure whoever changes it will do it also
Gen6 softtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 04:30 PM   #3
danhr
BAMF SS

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS A8
Send a message via AIM to danhr
You will be fine. Just remmeber to lube up the seal with oil prior to.

Lots of cars, you can't even prime the oil filter, because they are mounted horizontally.
danhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 05:12 PM   #4
Marko

Drives: Camaro
My 03 Cobra is mounted horizontally

Yes. I’m talking about adding oil to a new filter before installing

Most oil change mechanics don’t do it. Unless you request it. Even then, they still might not do it.
Marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 06:30 PM   #5
ChevyRules

Drives: 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Truthfully, it probably doesn't do much harm to not prime it as pointed out, it's not possible on some cars given how their filters are oriented. There is still going to be a film of the old oil over the metal parts so there is some protection and can't imagine taking more than 1-3 seconds before there is oil flowing out of the filter since it is being pumped under pressure.

But it also doesn't hurt anything to prime it.
ChevyRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 06:59 PM   #6
Wierd Harold

Drives: 2017 2lt rs
Waste of time ,only takes seconds to fill by cranking egine over to startup.People got this idea from priming diesel fuel filters.
Wierd Harold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 12:00 PM   #7
Boost Creep

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
The filter on the LT1 is vertical so you can prime it. Only question is how are you going to prime it and get it to the shop that is changing the oil. Might get messy unless you can prime it in the shop just before hand.

I've always primed filters on cars I cared about. The less time the engine is spinning with no oil pressure or air going through the system the better.
Old 04-23-2018, 12:02 PM   #8
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
It won't matter. There's enough oil residue on the internal parts to protect for that fraction of a second it will take to fill. It's not like you've got the throttle down while starting it.

That said, if I remember to do it, I pre-fill/prime the filter. But if I forget, I'm not upset.
Old 04-28-2018, 10:09 AM   #9
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
It's an old wives tale.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 09:57 AM   #10
KLG

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
Well, priming the oil filter certainly does not hurt anything. I've been doing it for decades!

Many years ago, I noticed the oil pressure would build to normal levels faster on a primed filter than an unprimed filter. On today's engines that may not be the case, in addition the engine oil quality is superior compared to years ago.

Even on my F150 with the 5.0L with a horizontal mounted oil filter, I prime it by saturating the filter without leaving excess oil that might run out when installing.

For the cars & trucks I have owned over the years, I have never read in the owner's manual that oil filter priming was suggested.

The only vehicle manufacturer that I have experience with that suggested priming the oil filter was Harley-Davidson. This was back in the late 70's or early 80's when HD was converting to cannister-type oil filters.

--KLG--
2016 2SS Convertible; SIM; Black & Ceramic White interior; M6; NPP; DD LED side marker lamps & back-up lamps; LED trunk lamps, license plate lamps & front T/S lamps; 3rd brake light pulser; Skip-shift eliminator; Borla s-type non-npp axle backs; Weather-Tech floor mats, trunk mat, rear license plate frame/cover; GM fuel door; ZL1addons rock guards; Removed fender badges, front & rear SS badges; JLT CAI, tune, oil separator; RP Synchromax in transmission; RP MaxGear in rear differential; GM Lowering Suspension Upgrade; Dimple oil filter magnets & magnetic oil drain plug; 3M Ceramic window tint.
KLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 12:09 PM   #11
archer1965

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
These cars have a 10 quart oil pan and push 40 psi at startup, no way the engine will be starved of oil.