Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 04-12-2018, 09:24 PM   #1
ItsChristianInHD

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2LT RS 3.6L
Moving Questions. Where to go?

Alright. So I know this is a odd place to to ask this question but everyone here is intelligent and have some more knowledge of moving and buying a house. I’d like to learn.

I plan to move south within two years. I have to wait for the lady friend to finish college. But I’m asking ahead. We both absolutely hate Ohio. The roads are garbage. Along with the cold. Not the snow/salt. We wash our cars every week.

So, I have a degree in Information Technology and Security and Foresics. Lady friend is finishing with a degree in Biology.
I’m curious to know where are some states/cities to live.
Cost?
Roads?
Weather?
Industry with these degrees? Best places that will be growing in industry.
I had the Carolinas, Georgia, and Florida in mind already.

Thank you. Hope that made sense to y’all. Had a 10 hour shift at work today.
ItsChristianInHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 09:37 PM   #2
Jsreo

Drives: 2017 2SS Manual
Atlanta has tons of opportunities for young professionals, & relatively low cost of living, nice climate, traffic is horrible though

Used to live in Seattle, great town but just too expensive now
Jsreo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 09:54 PM   #3
bpang1234
You can only YOLO once.

Drives: '16 2SS & '15 Subaru Forester
Texas...surprisingly low cost of living, lots of jobs and weather is warmer.

Research Triangle (look it up)...lots of jobs for tech and science types.

Phoenix, AZ seems to be booming...lots of amenities and cost of living seems to be very reasonable.
-1st Car to have the "full" SEMA High Performance Graphics kit from 6LEDesigns.
-1st Car to have the 6LEDesigns Blade Spoiler.
-Borla S-Type w/ custom H-Pipe
-Procharger P-1X Stage 2
bpang1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 10:06 PM   #4
SnakeEyeSS

Drives: Camaro 2SS & ZL1
I live in OK, I used to like it. There is a section of highway 10 minutes from my house that they have redone every one to two years for the last decade because they keep doing something wrong last year they finally have up, completely went down to dirt and started over. It was great, and all concrete. Two week ago they start ripping parts of it up again. Politicians are getting more useless every day, earthquakes have become normal(and the insurance for it is a scam, they only cover damage under 5.0 here. And unless you are nearly on or very close to the fault line, under 5.0 won't do serious damage to your home) and our taxes are getting out of hand, oh, and every few years we set a new world record for biggest/meanest/most powerful tornado. People are pretty friendly most of the time though. That El Reno Tornado ...holy Crap. Get in your car and drive 2.5 miles. You would STILL be in that El Reno tornado. I'm so used to them I grab a camera when the sirens go off.
Old 04-12-2018, 10:19 PM   #5
rburke76

Drives: garnet red
4 cylinder turbo guy here...

1. Raleigh - Durham, NC
2. Charlotte, NC
3. Atlanta, GA
4. Tampa, FL
5. Frisco, TX
rburke76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 10:22 PM   #6
LuvMI
Lovin the growl...

Drives: 2018 2SS
I’m from Fayetteville Arkansas, though I lived in metro Detroit (Royal Oak) for the last 20 years and I can say I’ve loved moving back home. Cost of living is good, Roads are better (no salt just sand), the heat last longer (8 months), not bad when it does chill (I have 3 year old bag of salt in my garage unopened), cheaper gas, cheaper homes (especially if you enjoy brick ranches), nice air port, new hospitals (including a children’s hospital thanx to Tyson), University of Arkansas is here if you like the college scene (growing small towns nearby if you don’t), Walmart keeps a lot of associated companies stationed in the area (if they have products in Walmart then they have offices here), Also home of Tyson Chicken and JB Hunt Trucking and the area is diverse, low crime and somewhat trendy in certain areas. The area has been one of the best growing metros to live in the country. Four main cites (Fayetteville, Springdale, Rogers, Bentonville)(70k populations each) connected by a business hwy. Come for a visit. But leave the Ohio St. gear. Just sayin...

Go Blue.

LuvMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 10:54 PM   #7
BigShow1960
BigShow

Drives: 2017 1 Camaro + Chevy Avalanche
IM me
BigShow1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 01:13 AM   #8
brAnd7onX

Drives: 2012 1SS IOM
I moved from sunny southern california to just north of Austin, TX and I love it here... Austin, TX is becoming the next silicon valley.

2012 Camaro SS IOM "TigreSS"
Borla "S" Catback
C.A.I. Intake
VMax Ported TB
JRE Tune
brAnd7onX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 02:35 AM   #9
bpang1234
You can only YOLO once.

Drives: '16 2SS & '15 Subaru Forester
Quote:
Originally Posted by brAnd7onX View Post
I moved from sunny southern california to just north of Austin, TX and I love it here... Austin, TX is becoming the next silicon valley.
It is, I would like to live there one day but I think I am good right now.
-1st Car to have the "full" SEMA High Performance Graphics kit from 6LEDesigns.
-1st Car to have the 6LEDesigns Blade Spoiler.
-Borla S-Type w/ custom H-Pipe
-Procharger P-1X Stage 2
bpang1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 06:37 AM   #10
SecondZ28

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Parts of AZ, TX, GA and FL are booming.
'87 GN
SecondZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 06:44 AM   #11
RobC2

Drives: 2023 Tesla Model 3P
We really like the move we made to Charlotte in 2005 from Boston, but we both work in financial services. I would say for what you are looking for, Research Triangle. The weather, roads, and cost of living are all great in NC.
RobC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 07:06 AM   #12
Ecchi667

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS, 6spd M
Columbia, SC is growing at the moment. Charlotte, NC and Atlanta, GA are always growing as far as I know. New Smyrna Beach, Florida is a lovely place to live - not sure about job opportunities, though. Close to Daytona and not too far from Orlando, mind.

I moved to SC from England and I love it. Hot weather, no car inspections (if it has a title you can drive it), fairly open gun laws. Drivers here are considered pretty bad but I've driven all over the Eastern USA and I can't say they seem worse here than anywhere else. There's a maneuver I see a lot that I call "The Carolina Cut" which is where people will turn into roads cutting across the wrong lane rather than driving a couple of extra feet to turn into the correct lane, but you probably get that everywhere because people are lazy. Only seen one collision as a result of it so far. The roads are not the best in terms of condition (pot holes, etc) but I've not had any damage to my 2SS as a result of the roads so far and we're at about 33,000 miles now. No complaints about the police, either. In fact, Richland County have a fleet of Camaros they drive (you can see them on Live PD). Gas prices are usually pretty good, too.

I *may* be able to help you on the IT/Security job front. For forensics we have an FBI office and SLED are decent to work for as far as I know. I guess for jobs you'd need to know what sort of salary you're looking to start at and work from there. My ex-girlfriend is a biology scientist and she was working a decent job. She prefers it here over Atlanta, where she was working a few years ago. More pay in Atlanta but more stress with it. For Marine Biology you have opportunities in Charleston I'd imagine.

Florida has no state income tax which is a nice bonus. I don't think Kentucky has, either. Kentucky and Tennessee are both lovely states. I haven't spent a great deal of time in them, though. Florida also has no vehicle inspections.
Ecchi667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 07:11 AM   #13
AmericanMike

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS FIFTY
I moved from Michigan to NC about 10 years ago and love it. I am in IT and the jobs are plentiful. Cost of living is more than reasonable and the commute.......well I choose to live in the county rather than the city so the commute is fun!
AmericanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 07:12 AM   #14
solarstingray

Drives: 2014 c7 corvette and 2017 camaro ss
don't move to Orlando we have enough dam people here !!! LOL

any where there is a beach, a boat and nice roads,
solarstingray is offline   Reply With Quote