Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 10-06-2023, 08:07 PM   #15
CamaroChill

Drives: Camaro 2016 RS
Thank you guys!

I'm starting to have some doubts if it's a legit RS package or an "added one". I explain why.

The antenna is not the same color, it's black, it should be yellow if it was an RS package as I understood.

As you guys have said, the previous owner installed a ZL1 spoiler, which is good.

I noticed a very annoying thing with the turning lights. When you set it on, it starts blinking much faster after 2-3 seconds, which doesn't seem normal. I found this YouTube video:

It says it's related when a light is burnt. But on the car they are LED strips. I read on the forum that some users had the same issue and it was because they installed the RS lights on a non-RS Camaro without resistors. So that makes me think this Camaro didn't have RS lights before?

Also, all photos I found have the LED strips on but not the circular lights too, check this photo taken today, they are both lit. I'm confused and I wish I could fix the fast blinking turning lights.

CamaroChill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2023, 08:34 PM   #16
CamaroChill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumbleboy92 View Post
For solely CarPlay usage, the screen is just an inch smaller. They both do the same thing

The RS package is the HID headlights/led taillights, specific grille, body-color painted antenna and 20” wheels.

The RS package gets a lip spoiler, the SS gets the three stanchion spoiler and the ZL1 is the same style as SS but wider. SS spoiler stops right at the body line, you can see yours goes over on either side so it’s ZL1 style

Regarding your exhaust I think it’s specifically this one: https://www.borla.com/products/chevr...t-system-11931

It being the Atak version with 4 tips and what looks like detachable outer pipes. The black is normal, you can clean it if you’d like
The antenna is black and not yellow but this link on Chevy website (https://media.chevrolet.com/media/ca...2016.tab3.html) doesn't mention the antenna.

I am just concerned about the HID headlights, all photos and videos I see only show the LED strips turned on, not the circular lights on like in the pic above.

The sale page mentions "Automatic lights Xenon" as extra. Could it be they changed the headlights? Does anybody know what "Xenon" lights are?

Last edited by CamaroChill; 10-06-2023 at 08:48 PM.
Old 10-06-2023, 08:50 PM   #17
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Don't worry, you most likely have a legit RS package that someone customized a bit.

You could also do some online sleuthing with the car's VIN number and find out about the packages and options installed in the factory and at the dealer that ordered the car, there are sites that give you a copy of the window sticker, also called the Monroney label, that is fully authoritative. Alternatively, there is an RPO (options) label in the trunk, in the middle under the floorboard that you can fold up, if you post that up, we'll be able to tell exactly what your car has.

The turn signal bulbs inside the headlight housings are still halogen for this model year and they do burn out (thank GM for penny pinching with these parts). When they do, they "hyperflash" after 3 seconds to warn you about the problem. The actual headlights are HID xenon, and the "eyebrow" DRL strip in the headlight is LED. Interestingly, there is only one projector beam bulb in each headlight, not two, and low/high beam operation is implemented with a shutter mechanism reusing the same HID bulb.

I replaced my turn signal bulbs literally on day one with "non-hyperflash" LED bulbs from amazon, and those have been bright and fine since 2018, looking way better thank the stockers. Here is a set as an example (the ones I bought are no longer sold): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CLZ965S

I suggest that you read the owners manual and the other brochures the car came with so you become more intimately familiar with the car . You can download them in PDF format from here: https://experience.gm.com/support/ve...manuals-guides

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2023, 09:52 PM   #18
CamaroChill

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
Don't worry, you most likely have a legit RS package that someone customized a bit.

You could also do some online sleuthing with the car's VIN number and find out about the packages and options installed in the factory and at the dealer that ordered the car, there are sites that give you a copy of the window sticker, also called the Monroney label, that is fully authoritative. Alternatively, there is an RPO (options) label in the trunk, in the middle under the floorboard that you can fold up, if you post that up, we'll be able to tell exactly what your car has.

The turn signal bulbs inside the headlight housings are still halogen for this model year and they do burn out (thank GM for penny pinching with these parts). When they do, they "hyperflash" after 3 seconds to warn you about the problem. The actual headlights are HID xenon, and the "eyebrow" DRL strip in the headlight is LED. Interestingly, there is only one projector beam bulb in each headlight, not two, and low/high beam operation is implemented with a shutter mechanism reusing the same HID bulb.

I replaced my turn signal bulbs literally on day one with "non-hyperflash" LED bulbs from amazon, and those have been bright and fine since 2018, looking way better thank the stockers. Here is a set as an example (the ones I bought are no longer sold): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CLZ965S

I suggest that you read the owners manual and the other brochures the car came with so you become more intimately familiar with the car . You can download them in PDF format from here: https://experience.gm.com/support/ve...manuals-guides
Thank you!

When you say "Interestingly, there is only one projector beam bulb in each headlight, not two, and low/high beam operation is implemented with a shutter mechanism reusing the same HID bulb." do you mean only on the Camaro I posted or all Camaros for this model year? As I mentioned, all videos and photos I looked at online, only have the "eyebrow LED strip" turned on, not the project above. Yours too?

Did you also mean that the turning signal is hyperflashing because it's burned out? I didn't even check if the signal light is working from the outside, you are right.

I'm trying to find the turning lights on the local Amazon, how do you know which lights are compatible with the Camaro? I'm asking because I will also buy the burned out left backup light. Did you use resistors?

I have the VIN number of the car but not the Monroney label. Any authorative sites I can use to check all the inclusions for this VIN number?

Thanks again also for the manual!

Last edited by CamaroChill; 10-06-2023 at 10:28 PM.
Old 10-06-2023, 10:39 PM   #19
arpad_m

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroChill View Post
Thank you! When you say "Interestingly, there is only one projector beam bulb in each headlight, not two, and low/high beam operation is implemented with a shutter mechanism reusing the same HID bulb." do you mean only on the Camaro I posted or all Camaros for this model year? As I mentioned, all videos and photos I looked at online, only have the "eyebrow LED strip" turned on, not the project above. Yours too?

Did you also mean that the turning signal is hyperflashing because it's burned out? I didn't even check if the signal light is working from the outside, you are right.

I'm trying to find the turning lights on the local Amazon, how do you know which lights are compatible with the Camaro? I'm asking because I will also buy the burned out left backup light.

I have the VIN number of the car but not the Monroney label. Any authorative sites I can use to check all the inclusions for this VIN number?

For the 2016-2018 model years, there were two headlight types. The base part is an ugly halogen triple-bulb (low+high beam plus turn signal) unit in a 1990s style reflector housing that lower trims without the RS package received.

It's the second type, the high end HID+LED headlights that I was talking about, these were installed in all RS, SS and ZL1 Camaros. One projector HID bulb with a shutter to switch between low and high beam, one LED eyebrow that also serves as a daytime running light (DRL), plus one ugly amber halogen turn signal bulb per headlight. This is what your car has.

The car has light sensors and separate daylight/night modes for the headlights and taillights. Also, the DRLs have two different brightnesses, dim and full, switched by the body control module (BCM) based on exterior illumination. In auto lighting mode, the actual headlights only turn on when it's relatively dark outside, but the DRLs (the eyebrows and the separate units below the headlights) are always on, either in dim or full bright mode. You can also disable auto mode and turn the lights on manually, but the car resets to auto mode every time you start it (for your s-a-f-e-t-y, haha).

Yes, the turn signals are flashed much more quickly by the BCM when it detects no continuity or no resistance, letting you know you have problems with at least one turn signal bulb. I think your RS taillights have LED turn signal elements and you shouldn't have to worry about those (but the reverse lights are still halogen in all trims, from LS to ZL1, more penny pinching, yay).

You need to find non-hyperflash LED bulbs with a 7440 style connector for the front turn signals. If they don't have built-in resistors, the BCM will still hyperflash them even though they work, so you want something that explicitly says "non-hyperflash" or "CANBUS compatible". This isn't fully scientific unfortunately, all this stuff is made in China and it either works or it doesn't, you may need to try more than one.

Alternatively, you can just put another 7440 halogen bulb in, but come on, give your car some respect. Bulb replacement is a very easy process, you don't need to remove or go into the headlight for that (read the manual ), but you might as well ask your mechanic to help you out this first time.

I got my original window sticker with the car, so I haven't had to use these sites, but there are plenty, first search result in duckduckgo was monroneylabels.com. Even if you have to pay $5-10, it'll be worth it. Alternatively, you can reach out to GM and try to get a replacement copy, but I wouldn't bother, chances are they will just give you the runaround.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

Old 10-06-2023, 10:49 PM   #20
50MileSmile

Drives: 2023 2SS, 2018 1SS 1LE, 1993 Z/28
Add your VIN number to the end of this link to get a copy of your original window sticker. Make sure you don’t add any spaces, punctuation or other characters - just the full VIN.

https://cws.gm.com/vs-cws/vehshop/v2...owsticker?vin=
50MileSmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2023, 10:58 PM   #21
SnakeEyeSS

Drives: Camaro 2SS & ZL1
Xenon = HID. It is a glass blub filled with Xenon gas, it works by shooting an electrical current into the Xenon gas, igniting it. Nothing new, Just about every manufacturer in the world has made these at some point.
Old 10-06-2023, 11:01 PM   #22
CamaroChill

You guys are great. I’ve found some 7440 “error free” to try for the front turning lights.

Questions:
- for the back turning lights, still 7440?
- for the reverse backup lights, 7440 are good or others are needed?
- based on what arpad has said, my front headlights should be stock RS then, and the photo I attached above that shows the “eyebrow” and the headlight on means that it was too dark in the store (I didn’t think it was very dark). Can you guys confirm that your Camaro RS turn on not just the eyebrow when it’s dark?
Old 10-06-2023, 11:05 PM   #23
arpad_m

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50MileSmile View Post
Add your VIN number to the end of this link to get a copy of your original window sticker. Make sure you don’t add any spaces, punctuation or other characters - just the full VIN.

Alas, this tool only works for newer model years.

Old 10-06-2023, 11:05 PM   #24
SnakeEyeSS

Drives: Camaro 2SS & ZL1
Quote:
You guys are great. I’ve found some 7440 “error free” to try for the front turning lights.

Questions:
- for the back turning lights, still 7440?
- for the reverse backup lights, 7440 are good or others are needed?
- based on what arpad has said, my front headlights should be stock RS then, and the photo I attached above that shows the “eyebrow” and the headlight on means that it was too dark in the store (I didn’t think it was very dark). Can you guys confirm that your Camaro RS turn on not just the eyebrow when it’s dark?

"error free" only works on certain brand of cars, and those are usually German from what I understand. Gen5DIY has a harness you can install on the rear backup lights that fixes some of the issues with using aftermarket LED bulbs.
Old 10-06-2023, 11:22 PM   #25
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50MileSmile View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
Alas, this tool only works for newer model years.
Awesome! Worked for my very early 2020 2SS...
Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...
2SS Capt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2023, 08:01 AM   #26
CamaroChill

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeEyeSS View Post
"error free" only works on certain brand of cars, and those are usually German from what I understand. Gen5DIY has a harness you can install on the rear backup lights that fixes some of the issues with using aftermarket LED bulbs.
I am currently in Spain and ordering from Gen5DIY wouldn’t be easy due to shipping and duties. As much as I can I need to try to fix without ordering from US (except from Amazon US, which is easier and fast).
Old 10-07-2023, 08:36 AM   #27
SwL_Wildcat

Drives: 2024 ZL1
Quote:
Thank you!

When you say "Interestingly, there is only one projector beam bulb in each headlight, not two, and low/high beam operation is implemented with a shutter mechanism reusing the same HID bulb." do you mean only on the Camaro I posted or all Camaros for this model year? As I mentioned, all videos and photos I looked at online, only have the "eyebrow LED strip" turned on, not the project above. Yours too?

I'm trying to find the turning lights on the local Amazon, how do you know which lights are compatible with the Camaro? I'm asking because I will also buy the burned out left backup light. Did you use resistors?

You might be able to get build info from Compnine, it goes from 1980 up to 2017. It's $5 for 5 build sheets, but you can check your VIN first to see if they have the build sheet before you buy.

https://www.compnine.com/vid.php
SwL_Wildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2023, 08:48 AM   #28
Plasar

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Vert M6
In Europe, isn’t it a regulation to have 1 reverse light and 1 rear-facing red fog light? My BMW 118i had a rear fog light switch by the headlights.
Plasar is offline   Reply With Quote