Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 10-03-2018, 02:33 PM   #1
Marcedward_907

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1 Summit White
ZL1 NPP Exhaust Options

Hello everyone! I'm sure this topic has possibly been talked about but I just thought I'd check and see if anyone had some insight.

Trying to see if anyone has any experience or hear some input with aftermarket exhausts for the Gen6 ZL1. Primarily any that still retain the NPP functionality.

The OEM NPP exhaust sounds great, but honestly the look of the "suitcase" muffler underneath is to be desired.. Don't get me wrong, GM did a great job with the NPP exhaust tech and all, but it is not very pretty considering all the other aspects of the car.

I love the sound of the OEM NPP, and I actually like that when putting the exhaust in Tour/Stealth mode the exhaust actually quiets down to a very tame level and when in track in basically is a straight piped setup.

Hearing some aftermarket exhausts that remove NPP functionality sound AWESOME, but I would love to be able to put the car in a quiet mode for quiet scenarios (Parking garages, early morning starts, etc) and still be able to open it up and hear every little bit of V8.

eventually headers will be put on the car, but for now a catback is all I am really wanting to do to the car as this car is plenty fast.

Are there any aftermarket NPP exhausts that offer this kind of variable in sound between "tour/stealth" and Track?

thanks all!
Marcedward_907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 02:36 PM   #2
LiqTenExp

Drives: 2017 ZL1
Excellent results withe Borla ZL1 Sport Exhaust w/NPP

https://www.borla.com/products/camar...t__140726.html

It sounded great with no drone with stock setup. Absolutely evil under load with current setup (heads/cam/bigger blower/long tubes/etc). But when you get out of it and cruise it is very civilized and if you are cruising in 6th the NPP shuts a little and the noise is barely worse than just a catback with all those mods.

The NPP w/o all the mods worked great. The NPP with all those mods makes me be able to pull into my driveway without waking up the neighbors late at night

The exhaust made the car sound like I thought it should have from the factory.
Old 10-03-2018, 02:38 PM   #3
Marcedward_907

LiqTenExp,

Thank you. I appreciate that insight! That was an exact type of review I was looking for.
Old 10-03-2018, 02:53 PM   #4
wlsmoku

Drives: 2018 ZL1 A10
hooker blackheart is what I have - very deep sound to it, no raspiness, and in stealth mode it is very quiet.

https://www.holley.com/brands/hooker..._mode_exhaust/

this is the one I have specifically:
https://www.holley.com/products/exha.../70401337-RHKR

I couldnt be more pleased with the sound, although I bought mine used and previous owner had headers, no cats and a F1A procharger and he said it was way too loud for his setup
wlsmoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 03:44 PM   #5
LiqTenExp

Here is a shot of a quick pull from 2nd, unfortunately without much traction

Old 10-03-2018, 03:52 PM   #6
LiqTenExp

and one more just pulling out from work:

Old 10-03-2018, 03:58 PM   #7
LiqTenExp

quick pull in 3rd

Old 10-03-2018, 04:01 PM   #8
LiqTenExp

Some info about those videos. It is about 10x louder now than stock with this exhaust, lol.

I don't have my mods listed in profile but: Rotofab dry, 103mm Katech, 2.3L magnuson, ported stock heads, cam, all new valvetrain, ati balancer/pulley, ARH LT 1-7/8" out to the borla.

All videos were done in track mode.
Old 10-03-2018, 04:37 PM   #9
Marcedward_907

Wlsmoku, thank you. I have read into that exhaust. It looks badass too.

And LiqTenExp, your replies have been a tremendous help!
Old 10-03-2018, 04:38 PM   #10
Marcedward_907

Wlsmoku. How quiet is that setup in stealth mode in comparison to the OEM npp?
Old 10-03-2018, 05:05 PM   #11
LiqTenExp

That is hard to measure at this point, in stealth mode it takes all the harness away, reduces the noise greatly. I would say this setup in NPP stealth sounds as loud as the stock exhaust did in track but tonally like it did in stealth.
Old 10-03-2018, 06:27 PM   #12
Marcedward_907

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiqTenExp View Post
That is hard to measure at this point, in stealth mode it takes all the harness away, reduces the noise greatly. I would say this setup in NPP stealth sounds as loud as the stock exhaust did in track but tonally like it did in stealth.

Sweet. That’s good to know!
Old 10-03-2018, 08:33 PM   #13
Rnovrit

Drives: 2018 NFG ZL1-1LE
I hated the look of the factory exhaust also. It was just cheap and crappy looking compared to the rest of the beautiful engineering and design on the car. I went with the Borla “s” type cat back. Sounds great and retained the NPP portion. I took it one step further and had the new system and remaining factory sections ceramic coated. My car spends a lot of time up on my lift so I see the underside more often than most people.
Attached Images

Rnovrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 09:54 PM   #14
Michael2000

Drives: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcedward_907 View Post
Hello everyone! I'm sure this topic has possibly been talked about but I just thought I'd check and see if anyone had some insight.

Trying to see if anyone has any experience or hear some input with aftermarket exhausts for the Gen6 ZL1. Primarily any that still retain the NPP functionality.

The OEM NPP exhaust sounds great, but honestly the look of the "suitcase" muffler underneath is to be desired.. Don't get me wrong, GM did a great job with the NPP exhaust tech and all, but it is not very pretty considering all the other aspects of the car.

I love the sound of the OEM NPP, and I actually like that when putting the exhaust in Tour/Stealth mode the exhaust actually quiets down to a very tame level and when in track in basically is a straight piped setup.

Hearing some aftermarket exhausts that remove NPP functionality sound AWESOME, but I would love to be able to put the car in a quiet mode for quiet scenarios (Parking garages, early morning starts, etc) and still be able to open it up and hear every little bit of V8.

eventually headers will be put on the car, but for now a catback is all I am really wanting to do to the car as this car is plenty fast.

Are there any aftermarket NPP exhausts that offer this kind of variable in sound between "tour/stealth" and Track?

thanks all!

How about just painting the suitcase muffler flat black to hide it?
Michael2000 is offline   Reply With Quote