Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs

Bigwormgraphix

Old 04-01-2019, 12:35 PM   #29
SSShark

Drives: '23 1SS Sharkskin A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackKnight2SS18 View Post
This +10000

I can finish washing the car... take another 30 minutes to clean the side, wipe down the wheels etc...

And BAM! Soon as I look at the hood or roof in the right angle light... a nice, new, fresh layer of dust and pollen has coated it.

Just add a random rain shower, followed by the hot sun soon to follow... BAM! Expertly etched new water marks.

Black cars in Florida is a PITA.
Definitely a PITA brother. It's life here in Fl. I usually never get more than a day or day and a half from a wash. Between all the things that you've mentioned and the dust filled morning dew. Wish I had a garage,
SSShark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 01:57 PM   #30
ScaryFatKidGT

Drives: NGM SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by lDejavul View Post
The power stops create wayyyyy less brake dust. I mean it's insane e ho much difference the power stops make.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunkk View Post
Careful of K&N, their product page spec quotes a bypass of 11-17psi, which is probably too low vs. 22psi OEM spec AC Delco PF64.

read this here:
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forum...co_PF64_-_pics

+1. Powerstop z26 pads will cure your brake dust blues.

The OEM pads are for road course track racing. Powerstops are more than adequate for street use, weekend cruising, daily drivers, or show cars.
I guess if you are that worried about dust... I find it odd cuz I put powerstops on my other cars and they still dust quite a bit... I guess I like having performance breaks, it's like a Porsche knowing they can take abuse whenever I want to give it.

I was going to get a Wix oil filter but I was told K&N was better, I can go buy a bunch of OEM filters... I don't think I will go to the dealer for many more oil changes now that I know the $65 oil change is sub par and it will be over $100 just for the oil now, might as well do it my self...
ScaryFatKidGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 02:43 PM   #31
camaroJD

Drives: 2019 Satin Steel 1SS 1LE w/ PDR
Thanks for all the info, I need to read up on some of this!

How important is a power washer/foam bottle? Is that a gimmick or more of a necessity?
camaroJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 02:44 PM   #32
camaroJD

Drives: 2019 Satin Steel 1SS 1LE w/ PDR
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaryFatKidGT View Post
I guess if you are that worried about dust... I find it odd cuz I put powerstops on my other cars and they still dust quite a bit... I guess I like having performance breaks, it's like a Porsche knowing they can take abuse whenever I want to give it.
I think for price as well, $150 on Amazon for a set. I might do a swap and save to OEMs for light track days.
camaroJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 03:24 PM   #33
ScaryFatKidGT

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaroJD View Post
Thanks for all the info, I need to read up on some of this!

How important is a power washer/foam bottle? Is that a gimmick or more of a necessity?
It's really convinent as you want the whole car to be covered with soap before you touch it with a rag/sponge to avoid scratching so I went from throwing soapy water at my car with the wash pad to using the spray gun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaroJD View Post
I think for price as well, $150 on Amazon for a set. I might do a swap and save to OEMs for light track days.
The OEM pads aren't bad neither are the rear rotors, it's the front rotors on the SS 1LE/ZL1 that get you.
Old 04-02-2019, 05:18 PM   #34
KirkH

Drives: 2016 2SS M6 Mosaic Blk Met-SOLD
Quote:
No there is no class of hydrophilic paint coatings that make water stick to the paint with complete wetting at zero contact angle.

Some detergeants used in dishwashers like Cascade and Finish Jet Dry do contain surfactants that behave this way to enhance wetting, incease “sheeting action” and reduce beading. This reduces water spotting on dishes and glassware.

While you could use Cascade to wash your car, I wouldn’t recommend it. It’s very harsh, very high pH and and generally nasty stuff for paint, plastic and rubber.

Jet Dry might be an option for rinsing. Give it a try and report back!
This is the same reason people think that Dawn dishwashing liquid strips the wax from car paint. Dawn also has a rinse agent. It looks like the wax is gone because the water is not beading. Remove the rinse agent and the wax, that is still there, beads the water again.
KirkH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 01:20 AM   #35
ScaryFatKidGT

Quote:
Careful of K&N, their product page spec quotes a bypass of 11-17psi, which is probably too low vs. 22psi OEM spec AC Delco PF64.

read this here:
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forum...co_PF64_-_pics

+1. Powerstop z26 pads will cure your brake dust blues.

The OEM pads are for road course track racing. Powerstops are more than adequate for street use, weekend cruising, daily drivers, or show cars.
Swapped it for a WIX XP already.... Seems like a lot of people use the K&N filter tho.... wonder how bad that low of a bypass pressure is...