Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 03-25-2019, 01:27 PM   #1
sal11585

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 2ss Nightfall Gray
Took the plunge no turning back lol

So I just left JTM motorsports in long island, ordered a Whipple supercharger and Hurst short throw shifter. Just waiting on the kit to arrive so they can start the install and custom tune. They were telling me the stock cats will probably go bad fast with the supercharger and I should do long tube headers or cat delete. I would prefer not to get headers not only because of the extra cost but the extra heat and loudness lol. Kinda why i went with a blower instead of a NA build. I want the car to still drive and sound almost stock and pass inspections no problem. I am only going to keep it at 7psi around 520-570whp depending on the dyno of course. Do you guys think I will be fine with my stock cats for a while?
Full paint correction with cquartz finest ceramic coating
Whipple 2.9
ARH Long tube headers with High flow cats
1le sway bars F&R
BMR Upper and lower trailing arms
Hurst short throw shifter
sal11585 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 04:44 PM   #2
hitmix300
2016 loaded 2SS

Drives: Maverick X3 Turbo R
A proper tune will have no issues with the stock catalytic converters in place. Glad you joined the FI club; congrats man!
hitmix300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 10:04 PM   #3
blk 2013

Drives: 2017 SS 6sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitmix300 View Post
A proper tune will have no issues with the stock catalytic converters in place. Glad you joined the FI club; congrats man!
what he said proper tune is everything.
blk 2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 12:59 AM   #4
sal11585

Ok, thanks for the feedback. JTM is a reputable place for tuning LS motors from what I've read. But he seemed to feel like stock cats would fail. Maybe he was thinking long term or he mentioned it cause he doesn't want to be held responsible if it does fail. Well, I hope my stock cats hold up with there tune. They are supposed to be one of the best Ls tuners in the area. I will ask them to keep the tune conservative.
Whipple 2.9
1le sway bars F&R
Old 03-26-2019, 03:33 AM   #5
Driski

Drives: 2016 Camaro Convertible 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by sal11585 View Post
So I just left JTM motorsports in long island, ordered a Whipple supercharger and Hurst short throw shifter. Just waiting on the kit to arrive so they can start the install and custom tune. They were telling me the stock cats will probably go bad fast with the supercharger and I should do long tube headers or cat delete. I would prefer not to get headers not only because of the extra cost but the extra heat and loudness lol. Kinda why i went with a blower instead of a NA build. I want the car to still drive and sound almost stock and pass inspections no problem. I am only going to keep it at 7psi around 520-570whp depending on the dyno of course. Do you guys think I will be fine with my stock cats for a while?
I just did headers on my car. (Kooks w/green cats). Stock beyond that. It is only louder on start, idle, and WOT. Noticeable but not obnoxious and no drone. I was told by installer the same as you (JRE), cats will fail if and when I go with the Super Charger. Regarding the extra heat, I got the coated headers and installed plug wires that can withstand... If you can handle the extra cost, do the headers. Good luck with your decision. I wish I had the coin to join you in 5 - 600 HP range. Maybe next year???
Old 03-26-2019, 08:56 AM   #6
sal11585

I could def swing the extra cost but to be honest I was really trying to keep it at the 10k mark. The headers will push it to 12k which then I start feeling like maybe I should have got a zl1 lol. Also, I'm afraid of the extra heat that I will have starting issues. It already sounds like it struggles sometimes but it always starts. Maybe its the battery but, its a 2017 with 9800 miles it should still have life. Maybe I'll just do a high flow cat on the stock exhaust so i can still use the stock headers. Thanks for all the feedback everyone, it seems it will be hit or miss from what I'm hearing. I do only drive the car about 3000 miles a year . The stock cats may last me a while
Whipple 2.9
1le sway bars F&R
Old 03-26-2019, 09:28 AM   #7
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
I opted for a set of CA performance cat delete pipes and retained the secondaries. The exhaust sounds good, not too loud, not much drone, and no worry of cat failures.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 08:34 PM   #8
sal11585

I may go that route, Do they bolt on and off easily or do you have to cut the stock exhaust?
Whipple 2.9
1le sway bars F&R
Old 03-26-2019, 09:00 PM   #9
KingLT1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sal11585 View Post
I may go that route, Do they bolt on and off easily or do you have to cut the stock exhaust?
Nope, the CA performance pipes are a direct bolt-in. You might have to look for a used set because I think the company defunct after one of the owners passed.
Old 03-27-2019, 06:22 AM   #10
DorkMissile

Drives: 18 1SS 1LE HyperBlue
The CA pipes are nice if you can find them. The install took longer to jack the car up then it took to swap them in.

Unfortunately they are hard to come by - I tried to get ahold of them for weeks with no success. I got very lucky that on one random day during the Christmas holiday there were a set on eBay (I hardly use eBay anymore). Picked them up for $200.

Some guys have reported issues with air leaks at the rear connection on the driver's side - I used a 3" wide band clamp that had 360 degree sealing and high temp RTV.
Old 03-27-2019, 07:28 AM   #11
KingLT1

The reported leaks was from trying to use the factory style clamp. I used a 2.75" preformed bad clamp and no leaks.
Old 03-29-2019, 12:19 PM   #12
sal11585

JTM says they will make me one for about the same price, so I am just going to do that instead. Now I am debating if I should do the zl1 fuel pump for $899 plus $250 to install. JTM says at the power level I want (around 550whp) and since I am not going e85, that it isn't necessary But I was thinking of getting it anyway for added reliability.
Whipple 2.9
1le sway bars F&R