Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 04-10-2019, 04:23 PM   #1
bonestock

Drives: 17 camaro ss
nitrous VS lt1/lt4 conversion

Im still trying to figure out what to do. I was told the best bang for the buck was a LT4 supercharger conversion. Ive been googling but cant find much. I guess they just detune the blower add more fuel, maybe a thicker head gasket, anyways i was quoted 7500.00 out the door/done 1 year warranty on motor/drivetrain.

Im a nitrous guy, I have had nitrous on all my cars and ive had a few, people ask my why do I like nitrous better. My answer is because your not using it all the time. I think the LT1 motor can destroy most cars, but then there your racers guys, use the juice.

then there's the warranty, on a LS i would laugh, but i dont know what a LT1 can take.

car is stock, but i do have a drag pack on it, and its night and day. i think ill go with the supercharger if one of my deals go through, if not, ill just wait a few more months
bonestock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 08:27 AM   #2
DorkMissile

Drives: 18 1SS 1LE HyperBlue
Not sure why they would “detune” the LT4 blower, it doesn’t make a lot of boost in the first place, and there is no need to run a thicker head gasket.

For about the same money you can get into a better s/c setup, (Whipple, ECS) with LT4 fueling and possibly E85 and make over 600wheel.

I’m running an all stock LT1 with LT4 HPFP & Injectors, E85 and Meth for a similar amount of money invested and am over 700 wheel
Old 04-11-2019, 09:33 AM   #3
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
They don't detune anything, They just run a bigger pulley and less boost to make the same power as a stock ZL1. LT1 will make similar power @ 7psi as a LT4 @ 9psi due to the differences in compression. 11.5:1 vs 10.1. The thing is the LT1 fuel system runs out of steam fast and it becomes fuel system and octane limited on 93(due to high compression) pretty quick...I would say around 8psi you better start thinking about upgrading to the LT4 fuel system and run a mix of E85 or add Alky injection with 93. The LT4 can go pretty far on 93 octane alone.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 11:17 AM   #4
bonestock

Drives: 17 camaro ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLT1 View Post
They don't detune anything, They just run a bigger pulley and less boost to make the same power as a stock ZL1. LT1 will make similar power @ 7psi as a LT4 @ 9psi due to the differences in compression. 11.5:1 vs 10.1. The thing is the LT1 fuel system runs out of steam fast and it becomes fuel system and octane limited on 93(due to high compression) pretty quick...I would say around 8psi you better start thinking about upgrading to the LT4 fuel system and run a mix of E85 or add Alky injection with 93. The LT4 can go pretty far on 93 octane alone.
What kind of fuel system do they do on these, on some of the imports, i used a aeromotive fuel return system, this has been a while. Do people still use torco? when i would spray all night i would always use a can of torco for some safety.
In dallas These shops are trying to get that money, i cant find it done for under 10k and you thats really like 13k because your gonna buy more parts and tax. Im a average joe, these guys are dropping like 40k on there camaros and vettes, so with 10k i look like a friggin wimp.

bonestock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 12:02 AM   #5
Getnlwr

Drives: '21 ZL1 A10 '08 SRT10
I'd be interested in what it can handle on spray. The other benefit is that if you do spray correctly, and something does go wrong, the spray can be removed rather quickly for warranty work.

I have a 15lb bottle in the trunk of my SRT10 running to throttle body plates. Only used it a few times, and holy crap does it work well.

There is something about nitrous that is fun to use in the car. Granted the FATF NOS jokes get old at car meets.
Getnlwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 06:44 AM   #6
Drsagacity

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS Nightfall Gray vert
The lt4 blower isn’t detuned in any way. If you take the stock lt4 blower, you will be in the 600whp range. Problem is the Lt1 fuel system. You will see the fuel drop off so you really need to either dial back boost with a bigger pulley or you need to upgrade the fuel system. The high pressure pump is first, then injectors and low pressure pump. You can simply get lt4 components and you are good.

With the upgraded fuel you are good for 600-650whp. However, the cam limits fuel so next you need a cam with a larger fuel lobe. This is when e85 becomes really useful. With the Lt4 fuel and the cam, you are good to run pump e85 (e70) up to about 800whp.

I would add forged pistons into the mix if you are going to push beyond 650whp...but I prefer less risk.

So short version:
1. Lt4 runs to 550whp on stock system
2. Add fuel: hpfp, lpfp, injectors and maybe Voltage booster - good to 650whp.
3. Add cam, pistons; lt headers: 700whp is easy (8psi or so)...but good to run higher...you will find the limit of the smaller blower in phase 3...

2018 Corvette Z06 vert- Black
To be tuned by JRE Racing
TBD performance

Last edited by Drsagacity; 04-18-2019 at 07:04 AM.
Drsagacity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 08:43 AM   #7
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonestock View Post
What kind of fuel system do they do on these, on some of the imports, i used a aeromotive fuel return system, this has been a while. Do people still use torco? when i would spray all night i would always use a can of torco for some safety.
In dallas These shops are trying to get that money, i cant find it done for under 10k and you thats really like 13k because your gonna buy more parts and tax. Im a average joe, these guys are dropping like 40k on there camaros and vettes, so with 10k i look like a friggin wimp.

LT4 fuel system is the popular upgrade for boost cars. OEM and drops right in place of the existing LT1 stuff. That combined with a Alky kit and you can make some pretty big power. Should allow enough fueling to run high 9's- low 10's depending on car weight and conditions.

For nitrous you could probably get away with a JMS pump booster for the low side or swap it with a ZL1 in tank. You shouldn't need to change injectors or DI pump with spray since your solenoid is pulling fuel off the rail. Only low side fuel will need addressed for bigger shots. 150-200.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote