Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

AWE Tuning

Old 08-20-2018, 06:12 PM   #43
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
I've owned two Challengers since 2009, one supecharged, my bro owned a full built Charger and then an SRT8 with bolt-ons, all setup by the oldman. I'll make this most broad statement. The Challenger has and is a very dated chassis, it is overburden and bulky. The rear tire size is limited and there is no way to get the weight off the front. There is all kinds of strange hinky pivot on both the front and aft suspension, mainly on the front. This was kind of addessed in 2011 but not really. But the weight, the Challenger is NOT tossable by any means, the weight will come back and byte you at anytime. Once you get 4500 lbs sliding out or misbehaving on 255 to 275 tires, you ARE in trouble period. The car really IS NOT FUN to drive in anything but a straight line. Don't get me wrong I really like the Challenger / Charger for the smooth ride, the room and in 2009 the looks. But this PLATFORM is so eclipsed by the Alpha, that really it is only a straight line one trick (awesome trick) pony.

The Alpha is so much lighter and the suspension, engine cradle, aluminum wheel wells, cooling, on and on are just so much more modern. Heck for a long time it was hard to determine which models of the Challenger came out with aluminum arms, Camaro it is all aluminum or sheet steel. Same goe with hubs etc. GM just took hundreds of pounds off, the Challenger is traveling with 30 year old Benz parts.

Still love the car but is yesterday's news... Straightline with DRs, there is some respect...but on street tires there is no way to launch or stop or turn 4500 lbs..

No way I'd go back, even if I won the lottery.. the car has too much weight, too little tire and a dated chassis.
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 06:39 PM   #44
Tenfive

Drives: 2017 1SS camaro ,2SS a 68 + 08 C6
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD_GOAT View Post
Honest question, did GM finally fix the overheating problem that was a problem for some C7Z's? Did/does the ZL1 and C7Z still have this problem or was it corrected? My guess is that this problem was fixed on the C7Z and was OK when the ZL1 was introduced.

I know there is even a class action lawsuit against GM concerning the overheating problems on the C7Z.
I call bs on your car collection GM never made a camaro in 1885 , heck chevrolet wasnt even founded yet
Tenfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 07:26 PM   #45
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kttxz06 View Post
I can't, it's only on our FB group. Which is private. i do have my gap job on there against Dan, but that wasn't fair. He's 740, I was on my 950 tune.

I only said what I said because they make the Demon to be some unbeatable straight line car and honestly, it's a dog. That was the first time I have ever seen one run on the streets so. I thought he'd put the gap on someone. I think he lost all his races. We stuck him in the middle of the group with the 600-750 hp guys. 800+ stays up front and he was nowhere in site. He got sauced. There was a modded Hellcat if I recall that did pretty decent, but he still wasn't up front with us. We usually have the 1000+ run the front, then 800+ behind, then 600-750 fall in back.

I am interested to see what the RedEye does.
Quote:
Even 9.9 from a dig is good. I doubt any of these cars I'm seeing on a roll will run a 9.9 from a dig so. Man, I wish I can post videos. haha. The Demon in our group got straight freight trained. I thought for sure it would at least hang with our mid pack.

I figured a pulley down and a tune and you are basically at 1000 hp so. Not sure what the deal is on a roll. Eh, anyways. It's whatever. They sure are sick in person.
I don't see any way he could have possibly won. The Demon is 808 HP ENGINE HP and you say your guys at the top of your group are 800+ RWHP. So even on the race tune he would still be at a disadvantage especially against much lighter cars. Plus like I said, Dodge tuned them specifically for quarter mile racing. So they are not at home in a roll race. It's all due to the factory tune. So I'm not understanding why you thought they would stand a chance. They weigh 4100+ pounds and are probably putting down around 730-760 RWHP. And even if they weren't limited by the tune thing, they still would lose. I mean, looking at the Hellcat, they make in the mid to high 600 RWHP range stock. And the ZL1 can keep up with it to a certain extent despite having about 100 less RWHP. And the Z06 straight up matches it. So mod those cars and there is no way a Demon will even keep up.

Also of note, if they are not on the race PCM, then they are limited to 168 MPH or so I believe.

I think what you guys need to do is either race one with the race PCM installed or race one with the standard PCM that has been tuned. Or race one that has a little more HP than stock. Because there is no way they're gonna beat 800+ RWHP GTs, Camaros, Vettes, etc. Even a 650 RWHP car with much less weight will give them a hard time.

I'd love to be out there with your group to see where my Hellcat stands both now and when I mod it. I'm starting off slow but I'm aiming for some serious HP numbers with an emphasis on roll racing with occasional quarter mile runs.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 09:37 PM   #46
kttxz06

Drives: '18 Zl1. '18 GT350.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
I don't see any way he could have possibly won. The Demon is 808 HP ENGINE HP and you say your guys at the top of your group are 800+ RWHP. So even on the race tune he would still be at a disadvantage especially against much lighter cars. Plus like I said, Dodge tuned them specifically for quarter mile racing. So they are not at home in a roll race. It's all due to the factory tune. So I'm not understanding why you thought they would stand a chance. They weigh 4100+ pounds and are probably putting down around 730-760 RWHP. And even if they weren't limited by the tune thing, they still would lose. I mean, looking at the Hellcat, they make in the mid to high 600 RWHP range stock. And the ZL1 can keep up with it to a certain extent despite having about 100 less RWHP. And the Z06 straight up matches it. So mod those cars and there is no way a Demon will even keep up.

Also of note, if they are not on the race PCM, then they are limited to 168 MPH or so I believe.

I think what you guys need to do is either race one with the race PCM installed or race one with the standard PCM that has been tuned. Or race one that has a little more HP than stock. Because there is no way they're gonna beat 800+ RWHP GTs, Camaros, Vettes, etc. Even a 650 RWHP car with much less weight will give them a hard time.

I'd love to be out there with your group to see where my Hellcat stands both now and when I mod it. I'm starting off slow but I'm aiming for some serious HP numbers with an emphasis on roll racing with occasional quarter mile runs.

#1. It's the streets, so I personally had no idea if he was stock or not. Nobody does unless you know the guy. It was his 1st time out with us, so I assume he's bringing the sauce. Even at their so called stated 808 hp level at 9.9 quarter, you'd think there would be enough guts to do a 50 roll, but he prob wanted a 30 roll which is against our rules so. He'd prob be more at home on a 30. The Hellcat that was with us tho did make moves. As said, I don't really care. I just figured they'd have more fight in em. But, he was obviously stock. haha. I'm sure he went home like, wtf. I get it. It's a new group, he had no idea we was bringing the sauce so.

I have 3 tunes. My 950 street, my mid tune at 1050 and my race tune at kill at 1117. I've been going out the past month since I got my car done on my street tune. Everybody thinks I only have 950 in me. Well, I finally got my call outs and sauced em all. A GT500, built motor on 200 shot, a 1200 HP Z06 (supposedly on it's last leg, low bottle is the rumor) and a 900 Hp Coyote who has been dying to run me. I put it on em. But, I went out on my mid tune so they wasn't expecting what I brought. I don't buy the weight argument as I'm prob around 4100 myself as I'm still a daily, plus full sound mat in the whole car, and i took off the shit stamped steel suspension for solid steel BMR stuff. I prob added 100 lbs. Plus, I'm 250. But, there are no rules on the streets so. If I lose, I can't blame it on my weight. I just need more HP. haha. Which, will be coming btw in Oct most likely as we go 427. Then the real gapping begins.
Old 08-20-2018, 10:04 PM   #47
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Quote:
#1. It's the streets, so I personally had no idea if he was stock or not. Nobody does unless you know the guy. It was his 1st time out with us, so I assume he's bringing the sauce. Even at their so called stated 808 hp level at 9.9 quarter, you'd think there would be enough guts to do a 50 roll, but he prob wanted a 30 roll which is against our rules so. He'd prob be more at home on a 30. The Hellcat that was with us tho did make moves. As said, I don't really care. I just figured they'd have more fight in em. But, he was obviously stock. haha. I'm sure he went home like, wtf. I get it. It's a new group, he had no idea we was bringing the sauce so.
Who was he racing?
Old 08-20-2018, 10:48 PM   #48
kttxz06

Drives: '18 Zl1. '18 GT350.
Quote:
Who was he racing?

From the video's I seen posted, a few Coyotes mostly and a Header/Cam Viper TA. He got about 8 runs in, didn't watch all of them as the 1st 4 I saw was enough. The Viper was full send. I wasn't expecting that one. Unless the dude came back with more mods, but I know our last meet he was getting sauced. He looked a bit stronger this past weekend.

We have a decent size group. Mostly Stangs. 3 Zl1's and about 10 Camaro's. Few Hellcats. That was the first Demon. And of course Vette's roll about 15 deep.

I know there's a sick Silver Hellcat rolling around here, but we can't seem to get together. I have a feeling he's under construction. haha. I wanted to run em, but now I have a feeling he's getting ready to put the gap on me. I'm most likely gonna lay low for a month or two and show back out with my 427 build.

I've been getting a bunch of call outs, but it's from the top players and I'm not ready for 1300-1500 hp Vette's and Coyote's yet. In due time. It didn't take long tho.
Old 08-21-2018, 10:24 AM   #49
DevilsReject97
Nightmare

Drives: Your mom crazy in bed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
Not a good idea as spinning the little SC faster generates more heat. To me the only solution is a bigger sc, and even better a centrifugal supercharger with a port/direct injection conversion. The bog seems to be gone and you can go big power. Then even a fixed Demon is a drivers race.

You could do this for around the MSRP price of a base Redeye HC with a base ZL1 with a slight discount and still have one of the best handling and driving cars in the world on a track, on a mountain road, and even on just a laid back cruise. And fear no Dodge in the 1/4.
Eh, plenty of people have already done the pulley swap/upgrade. More to the point, they could have done this out the gate without any issue. Also, the bog has nothing to do with the blower, at all. The tune is what cures that issue..

The Drag Pak GM tested didn't add a pulley, didn't add any major components engine components other than headers. It did however involve a major re-tune of the eLSD, the transmission, and the engine. They managed a 10 second flat 1/4 mile with a tune, headers, intake, and wheels.. and I'll bet you dollars to dimes that the tune alone was responsible for most of it.
Old 08-21-2018, 11:42 AM   #50
newmoon

Drives: 2019 GT350
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsReject97 View Post
Eh, plenty of people have already done the pulley swap/upgrade. More to the point, they could have done this out the gate without any issue. Also, the bog has nothing to do with the blower, at all. The tune is what cures that issue..

The Drag Pak GM tested didn't add a pulley, didn't add any major components engine components other than headers. It did however involve a major re-tune of the eLSD, the transmission, and the engine. They managed a 10 second flat 1/4 mile with a tune, headers, intake, and wheels.. and I'll bet you dollars to dimes that the tune alone was responsible for most of it.
Are you sure. The below article clearly mentions: Smaller-diameter supercharger pulley

https://media.chevrolet.com/media/us...amaro-zl1.html
2012 SRT Challenger 392 auto 12:40s 112 stock
2012 Ford Mustang 5.0. Brembo, 3:73s
2010 SS, LS3, Cammed, LTs, 12:20s
2004 Redfire Cobra, Pullied & Tuned
1986 GT, Ed Curtis 347ci, 11:20s motor. 10:30s 100-hp shot
newmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 01:43 PM   #51
DevilsReject97
Nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmoon View Post
Are you sure. The below article clearly mentions: Smaller-diameter supercharger pulley

I stand corrected. Thank you for that correction. Now that I see it I do remember it.. I've been drunk since then!

GM did the pulley upgrade...with their own Drag Pak. Stands to show my original statement of why GM didn't do it as valid all by itself.
Old 08-21-2018, 05:21 PM   #52
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Quote:

Good thing nobody took that bet, HAHAHA!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmoon View Post

Looks like he owes you some money, LOL!!
Quote:
I stand corrected. Thank you for that correction. Now that I see it I do remember it.. I've been drunk since then!

GM did the pulley upgrade...with their own Drag Pak. Stands to show my original statement of why GM didn't do it as valid all by itself.
Anyway, I was just teasing.

So is this package going to be available as a manufacturer approved upgrade that will also allow us to keep the warranty? And will it NOT cost $20K to purchase and have installed? Just wondering. It would be nice if they made this as an available upgrade. It probably won't be due to emissions requirements and federal laws regarding removal/repositioning of cats and all. And I'm sure they didn't just wake up one day and decide to do this stuff and run the car. To me it seems like these manufacturers build these cars to their limits and then work to dial them back safely therefore always leaving room on the table. I'm sure that is what Ford did with the Coyotes. I'm sure they had the 420 HP version ready for the 2011 MY even if they didn't put it out until 2013 MY. And I'm sure they had the 460 HP Gen III Coyote version ready for the 15 MY even tho that didn't hit the GTs until this year. It seems that they all work them backwards thus having more that they can do. I bet the ZL1 was running these 10s well before the 17s hit.
Old 08-22-2018, 07:31 AM   #53
DevilsReject97
Nightmare

Quote:

So is this package going to be available as a manufacturer approved upgrade that will also allow us to keep the warranty? And will it NOT cost $20K to purchase and have installed? Just wondering. It would be nice if they made this as an available upgrade. It probably won't be due to emissions requirements and federal laws regarding removal/repositioning of cats and all. And I'm sure they didn't just wake up one day and decide to do this stuff and run the car. To me it seems like these manufacturers build these cars to their limits and then work to dial them back safely therefore always leaving room on the table. I'm sure that is what Ford did with the Coyotes. I'm sure they had the 420 HP version ready for the 2011 MY even if they didn't put it out until 2013 MY. And I'm sure they had the 460 HP Gen III Coyote version ready for the 15 MY even tho that didn't hit the GTs until this year. It seems that they all work them backwards thus having more that they can do. I bet the ZL1 was running these 10s well before the 17s hit.
Everything I heard Chevy say was that if/when this was released, it would be covered under warranty. Essentially, a factory option upgrade if you will.

As for emissions, it doesn't say anything about removal of the cats. Truthfully, we've already seen a few factory 10's in the ZL1...so we know it's capable of it. The tune that this is offering and that pulley swap basically are the biggest difference.
Old 08-22-2018, 12:45 PM   #54
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
I’m wondering what’s going to happen with all this stuff. They have a tune ready to go for their gmpp heads cam but they don’t sell it for our cars. It’s for the lt376.

Here is the part number: LT376-535 Crate Engine Control System
Part Number 12677124

Wonder if I buy that will the ecm work plug and play? I would love to just be able to buy just the ecm not deal with any tuning and know it’s solid

What is taking them so long? The lt1 engines been on the street for 5 years already. Seems like they have a ton of stuff on the shelf but aren’t selling them
Old 01-10-2019, 12:58 PM   #55
Asskicker

Drives: 17 camaro ss 1le
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicul15 View Post
Here is the part number: LT376-535 Crate Engine Control System
Part Number 12677124

Wonder if I buy that will the ecm work plug and play? I would love to just be able to buy just the ecm not deal with any tuning and know it’s solid
No it will not plug and play. However, what you could buy one and ask any tuner you know about to transfer its pre load tune into your stock ECU.
Just keep in mind, this thing meant to work with their heads and cam kit.
Asskicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 09:13 PM   #56
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Ouch. FCA boned itself.... again.

https://carbuzz.com/news/77-million-...lenger-hellcat
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote