Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 01-20-2021, 05:41 PM   #113
PnCRedJwl2SS
Howdy! Pete here...

Drives: 2017 50th Anniv 2SS, A8, NPP, MRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by kropscamaro16 View Post
only problem i have is my hood is so long i cant see over it when i park lol and im 6ft tall
I always back in...I never park front-end first unless there is absolutely no choice. And then I granny it into the spot (takes me, literally, a full minute to sneak it into the spot, with the radio off to listen for any "crunching" sounds). Not worth it. Just back it in. You'll be surprised how good you get to be with some practice!

As far as I'm concerned, the only significant blind spot on this car is the low front end vs. curbs/obstacles in front of the car. Between the rear-view mirror and properly adjusted side-view mirrors, I have zero blind spots behind me or to the sides. I can see any car approaching from behind me in any lane (that's close enough to matter) and follow it onto my side mirrors and then out in front of me.

With regard to blind spots when merging (because of the C-pillar), I've learned (as have most of you, I'm sure, who've had the car more than a week) to approach those lanes at closer to a 90 degree angle. This allows me to see oncoming traffic easily. If I have to stop/yield before merging, the Camaro has more than enough power to get up to speed from a stop very quickly.

Try driving a Challenger and trying to merge lanes (I have). That C-pillar dwarfs ours and creates a more significant blind spot.

Bottom line: Yes, the Camaro has less visibility along certain sight lines than other vehicles. But not dramatically so--and definitely not enough that it should be a deal breaker for anyone who really wants one of these cars.

You do have to be more careful...that's part of the deal with owning one. It's a badge I'm proud to wear!

PnCRedJwl2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 05:53 PM   #114
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
You guys are all hitting on the point.

"You get used to it". Name another product you would buy that you have to get used to. If it doesn't pass the test drive or input from others (press) you aren't going to buy it. Too big of a commitment.

Also, "it's a sports car". No not really. The Corvette is GM's sports car. The Camaro is a "sporty" car. To sell to a larger audience it has to be better at the everyday things. Don't get me wrong GM cross markets the car (even though people tell us GM is a fail for not marketing the car). GM uses both "Muscle Car" and "Sports Car" in their description. They are playing to whatever works. And if you think it's a Sport Car, bless you man, cuz it's a razer sharp tool on the track. For me, the Camaro is not a Sport Car. GM has made it very close to one and hence the trade offs in visibility, rear seat room (GM even acknowledged that at launch so it's really not a debate) and trunk space (the reason I don't have a Gen6 in my garage). I've actually read on this forum someone compare the cars visibility being ok because, you know, McLaren.

"Adjust your Mirrors" and worse "Side Blind Zone Alert". If you need DIRECT vision to fell comfortable the Camaro is a HUGE fail. Having ridden motorcycles for many years I am heavily dependent on "head checks" and direct vision. Indirect vision (mirrors and monitors) can overcome that, but if you need direct vision, no mirror adjustment or bells and whistles will work.

None of this makes the Camaro any less awesome. It is, as I've said countless times, the best Camaro ever. It's just not a great coupe.
Old 01-20-2021, 06:03 PM   #115
PnCRedJwl2SS
Howdy! Pete here...

Drives: 2017 50th Anniv 2SS, A8, NPP, MRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
You guys are all hitting on the point.

"You get used to it". Name another product you would buy that you have to get used to.
Chunky peanut butter...took me awhile, but I got used to it (LOL).

PnCRedJwl2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 06:59 PM   #116
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by PnCRedJwl2SS View Post
Chunky peanut butter...took me awhile, but I got used to it (LOL).
And probably because your mom made you. Lol
Old 01-20-2021, 07:48 PM   #117
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
"Adjust your Mirrors" and worse "Side Blind Zone Alert". If you need DIRECT vision to fell comfortable the Camaro is a HUGE fail. Having ridden motorcycles for many years I am heavily dependent on "head checks" and direct vision. Indirect vision (mirrors and monitors) can overcome that, but if you need direct vision, no mirror adjustment or bells and whistles will work.
Direct rear and side vision in a coupe will never rival the unobstructed view you have on a motorcyle, I hope this isn't why you consider the Camaro's visibility a "HUGE fail"...

Also, mirrors being indirect does not make them inferior, they're the very thing that makes it possible to stay continuously aware of the 360° view of the environment, which one should always try to maintain while driving. Who's ahead of and behind me in each lane, what speed are they doing vs me, what maneuvers may they be planning etc. Relying solely on direct vision for this means turning your head and keeping your eyes off the front for seconds, don't know if this is better than adapting to those indirect vision "tools".

Yeah, I do the quick head check when changing lanes, too, just to be on the safe side, as it was pounded into me in driving school back then, but it's more of a 101% safety measure with mirrors and BSM in place.

Finally, the Camaro's visibility being substantially worse overall than other similar cars is simply a meme that refuses to die. For some reason other cars hardly ever get the same treatment from reviewers, I mentioned it in another thread how the rear windshield on one of the Teslas is narrow and 80% covered by headrests, but for some reason that's okay with everyone.

Sure, if you shoot yourself in the foot and push the seat all the way down and recline the backrest, you won't see out as well, duh. Every car I've driven had its visibility strengths and weaknesses. For example, the A pillar on the Traverse my wife has feels way worse, and looking out the rear is like staring down a tunnel in every midsize or full size SUV, zero direct pavement visibility there either, but nobody harps on that, it's a given, because big a** SUV

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 08:44 PM   #118
17rsvert

Drives: 2017 HBM 2LT RS Convertible V6 A8
Quote:
... If you need DIRECT vision to fell comfortable the Camaro is a HUGE fail...
I would strongly disagree with this.

If you need DIRECT vision to feel comfortable, your MIRROR ADJUSTMENTS are a huge fail.
17rsvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 09:10 PM   #119
c4racer

Drives: 2016 SS Convertible
Just get a vert people. Wide open views !!
c4racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 09:50 PM   #120
CamaroSSStlfan
Account Suspended

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
I hate to say it but I think is the reason why the Mustang gt kills the Camaro in sales. A lot of people I see say they picked the Mustang because it's easier to see out of. I mean it's not perfect but better visibility than the Camaro.

The 2012 Mustang I had was outstanding visibility.
CamaroSSStlfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 11:42 PM   #121
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17rsvert View Post

If you need DIRECT vision to feel comfortable, your MIRROR ADJUSTMENTS are a huge fail.
And the point is, if you can see something, you can see it. It doesn't matter if it's in the mirror or you are directly seeing it.

The point is to make sure there is no car. You don't have to stare at the car for long to know the year, make and model of it.

Or maybe some people just like to stare at the hot ladies on a summer day directly and the Camaro just doesn't allow that.

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 12:22 AM   #122
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by c4racer View Post
Just get a vert people. Wide open views !!
The man speaks the truth ^^^
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 12:26 AM   #123
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSSStlfan View Post
I hate to say it but I think is the reason why the Mustang gt kills the Camaro in sales. A lot of people I see say they picked the Mustang because it's easier to see out of. I mean it's not perfect but better visibility than the Camaro.

People just need to know what their buying and plan accordingly. I have a 2012 stang and 2019 Vert Camaro... on the test drive: as soon as the top was lowered on my first 6th Gen, I knew I was a buyer.
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 07:14 AM   #124
Hops

Drives: 2019 1ss 1le, blue wrap
Quote:
Also, "it's a sports car". No not really. The Corvette is GM's sports car. The Camaro is a "sporty" car. To sell to a larger audience it has to be better at the everyday things. Don't get me wrong GM cross markets the car (even though people tell us GM is a fail for not marketing the car). GM uses both "Muscle Car" and "Sports Car" in their description. They are playing to whatever works. And if you think it's a Sport Car, bless you man, cuz it's a razer sharp tool on the track. For me, the Camaro is not a Sport Car. GM has made it very close to one and hence the trade offs in visibility, rear seat room (GM even acknowledged that at launch so it's really not a debate) and trunk space (the reason I don't have a Gen6 in my garage). I've actually read on this forum someone compare the cars visibility being ok because, you know, McLaren.

This is why they are comparing it to a McLaren, the Camaro ZL1 1le beats the McLaren 650S Spider in the lightning lap:
https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...storical-data/

The Camaro is very much a "sports car" to me. The term "sports car" is a little strange and maybe dated, as everyone has their own definition it seems. Even so, with the definition of a sports car being, a car you can easily do motorsports with, the Camaro is a better sports car than a Corvette from what I've seen. I have yet to see a Camaro being taken away from a track event on a flat-bed because it overheated, and most track reviews of Camaro vs Corvette judge the Camaro as the easier one to drive at the limit.
Hops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 07:14 AM   #125
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17rsvert View Post

I have a feeling that there's more to 'direct vision' than just what you see in your central vision cone. Having your near-peripheral vision partially obstructed is something you'll notice as infringement on what you're accustomed to being able to see without effort.

Don't forget that this applies to forward vision out the windshield as well, if perhaps to a lesser extent.

It probably bothers some people more than others, and some people will be able to adapt better than others.

Sure, you'll be able to see the other cars that are around you, but there's more to it than just seeing that they're there.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 01-21-2021 at 07:32 AM.
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 07:22 AM   #126
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSSStlfan View Post

FWIW, I noticed a much bigger reduction in outward visibility going from FWD sedans (Mazda 626, Nissan Maxima) to my '08 Mustang than I did going from my Mustang to a brief test drive in a 6th gen SS.

So the amount of change enters into it as well.

Norm