Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro Convertible

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 01-09-2021, 09:55 AM   #15
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
I’ve used 303 fabric protector in the past. Seems to work well, beads, top is a nice darker black, cleans easily (especially pollen, blows right off). The stuff stinks, so you may want to wear a mask, if applying. I do get a bit concerned about adjacent rubber or plastic, paint coming in contact with the solution (because of strong chemical smell), so I taped off as best as possible and rolled on twice. I probably would’t apply again, if I didn’t already have some left over taking up shelf space. As others have said, in the garage or top down.
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 07:48 PM   #16
the chosen one

Drives: 2017 Convertible 1SS A8
I prefer to use Duragloss 341 convertible top fabric restorer. It adds UV protection, helps repel water, and prevents staining. It’s $15 a bottle and is enough for 3-4 applications. I’ve used chemical guys convertible top protectant too but I wasn’t impressed with their product considering it was $20 and only enough for one application.
Old 01-11-2021, 09:14 AM   #17
AmericanMike

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS FIFTY
I have RaggTopp cleaner at the ready when needed to remove any stains I may get but have not used it yet. Keeping the top clean and only open it when it is dry has served me well. Still is soft, pliable and looks like new.
AmericanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 01:03 PM   #18
rarest_spun_heaven_metal

Drives: 2020 V6 Camaro Vert
The owner's manual doesn't say anything about applying any sort of sealant or protectant to the top. If it was truly required - or even beneficial - my theory is that GM would sell their own marked-up brand of it and insist that it's necessary in the owner's manual.

I worry less about rain water causing the fabric to get weird than some weird chemical formula (yeah, yeah, acid rain, yadda yadda yadda). Just my two cents.
rarest_spun_heaven_metal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 01:19 PM   #19
c4racer

Drives: 2016 SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by rarest_spun_heaven_metal View Post
The owner's manual doesn't say anything about applying any sort of sealant or protectant to the top. If it was truly required - or even beneficial - my theory is that GM would sell their own marked-up brand of it and insist that it's necessary in the owner's manual.

I worry less about rain water causing the fabric to get weird than some weird chemical formula (yeah, yeah, acid rain, yadda yadda yadda). Just my two cents.
Well - the owners manual also doesn't mention anything about waxing the paint. And if you do nothing, the car will make it through the warranty period just fine. But will the paint look fantastic 10 years down the road? Nope.
I think this may be a similar scenario.

I try to wax my cars once a year.

That said - I've only used the top protection product once. Seems for me it's a once every few years application since the car is garaged and doesn't see much outdoor time with the top up or any rain or weather.
c4racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 03:15 PM   #20
MANNAXMAN

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by the chosen one View Post
I prefer to use Duragloss 341 convertible top fabric restorer. It adds UV protection, helps repel water, and prevents staining. It’s $15 a bottle and is enough for 3-4 applications.
I switched from the RaggTopp protectant to 303 Fabric Guard based on a comparison video I watched a few years ago, but both seem to work. I'm going to have to try the DG341 product. Did you follow the application instructions? A video I saw for DG341, the user did not follow the directions and sprayed it on. It still was very effective though.

To answer the OP's question in the title of the thread, "Is it neccesary to put a sealant on the VERT top?" - No, it's not necessary. However, if your car is anything but a fair weather driver and gets driven with the top up at all, I would certainly recommend using a protective product.
1961 Volkswagen Beetle with Sliding Ragtop Sunroof (2009-Present)
1964 Volkswagen Beetle with aftermarket Sliding Ragtop Sunroof (Sold)
Follow me on Instagram - @gen6_2ss_vert
MANNAXMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 07:33 AM   #21
Speak99

Drives: Camaro 2020 2SS VERT
Quote:
Originally Posted by c4racer View Post
Well - the owners manual also doesn't mention anything about waxing the paint. And if you do nothing, the car will make it through the warranty period just fine. But will the paint look fantastic 10 years down the road? Nope.

That said - I've only used the top protection product once. Seems for me it's a once every few years application since the car is garaged and doesn't see much outdoor time with the top up or any rain or weather.
This is true. Wax/sealant are a decades long proven aid to protect paint. VERT tops are not new either, I was looking for some of the same kind of "proven advice". If there is such a thing on this topic.
Speak99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 08:33 AM   #22
rarest_spun_heaven_metal

Drives: 2020 V6 Camaro Vert
Quote:

On page 296 of the 2020 Owner's Manual, it says "Occasional hand waxing or mild polishing should be done to remove residue from the paint finish. See your dealer for approved cleaning products."

That being said, I hear what you're saying, and I'm not 100% convinced either way re: what the best method for taking care of the vert top is. I see some vert tops on the road that look absolutely terrible - and some that look decent, even on older cars. I really wish I knew what the true difference-makers are between the two. This is my first convertible, and I've only had it since September - so I am by no means an expert. I wish someone would conduct an exhaustive study (see what I did there?) on what people with terrible looking tops did wrong.

One thing that concerns me about using some general convertible top sealant is that it isn't custom engineered specifically for the material our tops are made of. Yes, you can lump different tops into broad categories like 'cloth' or 'vinyl' - but each manufacturer probably (and I could be completely wrong here) uses a different blend of materials for each: there are different types of cloth and different types of vinyl.

Again, I feel pretty lost on this subject myself, so I'm interested in any and all insight that comes out of this discussion.
rarest_spun_heaven_metal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 10:43 AM   #23
c4racer

Drives: 2016 SS Convertible
ya - same boat here. I have no clue. It's my first soft top convertible. And none of these 6th gens have been out there long enough to be able to determine what works best.
So I think we are all guessing based on prior experience for some or research - but of course the companies trying to sell these products have a point of view that may or may not be genuine.
c4racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 10:50 AM   #24
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
ya - same boat here. I have no clue. It's my first soft top convertible. And none of these 6th gens have been out there long enough to be able to determine what works best.
So I think we are all guessing based on prior experience for some or research - but of course the companies trying to sell these products have a point of view that may or may not be genuine.
While the sixth gen cars don't have a lot of years overall, the fifth generation cars would have been using pretty much the same materials and add another five years of overall history into the mix.

The complaints about the convertibles in the sixth gen cars are that the window has delaminated and/or the entire mechanism has broken down due to a variety of different little issues. Since many of these have been solved by complete replacement of the top, that further shortens the average tracked lifespan of a convertible top.
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 03:25 PM   #25
Ox45
Hillbilly Highness

Drives: 2001 S10, 2022 LT1 Vert
Quote:
The owner's manual doesn't say anything about applying any sort of sealant or protectant to the top.

The folks who make the material used in the top DO recommend the use of a sealant/protection product. Here is the link: https://www.haartz.com/cleaning-guide/cloth-top-cleaning.

Is this just marketing? I tend to doubt it, but maybe? Either way, this is what I based my choice off of and I haven't had any issues to date (knock on wood).

That being said, I would be comfortable with 303 and Duragloss products as well because I have used products from both of these companies on other things and they are both excellent from my experience. I just chose Raggtopp because the manufacturer said to and I was lost with this in the beginning too!

Ox.
Ox45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 04:25 PM   #26
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ox45 View Post
The folks who make the material used in the top DO recommend the use of a sealant/protection product. Here is the link: https://www.haartz.com/cleaning-guide/cloth-top-cleaning.
They're really only promoting proper cleaning. The reference to using a sealant is to stay cleaner for longer, not to actually protect the fabric.
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 06:29 PM   #27
the chosen one

Drives: 2017 Convertible 1SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by MANNAXMAN View Post
I switched from the RaggTopp protectant to 303 Fabric Guard based on a comparison video I watched a few years ago, but both seem to work. I'm going to have to try the DG341 product. Did you follow the application instructions? A video I saw for DG341, the user did not follow the directions and sprayed it on. It still was very effective though.

To answer the OP's question in the title of the thread, "Is it neccesary to put a sealant on the VERT top?" - No, it's not necessary. However, if your car is anything but a fair weather driver and gets driven with the top up at all, I would certainly recommend using a protective product.
I followed instructions and did not spray the product on. I just wetted a microfiber pad with the product and then gently ran the pad over the fabric in one direction to avoid putting wear marks in the top. I’ve heard of some people also using a sponge roller to apply it.
Old 01-14-2021, 09:20 AM   #28
wildchevy

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue 2SS convertible
I give it 2 coats of 303 Fabric Guard every spring clean up. I use the liquid and apply it with a small foam paint roller.

2018 HBM 2SS CONVERTIBLE A8
wildchevy is offline   Reply With Quote