Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 11-13-2017, 10:19 PM   #1
FATTEMUNK

Drives: 600whp 2016 C63 AMG/ 2018 SS 1LE
Question PD vs Centrifugal for roll racing

Hey guys. I understand that this is a dead horse and that I should choose one that I like better, but I'm really looking for first person experience specifically on the 6th gen. This will be a daily driver for now and want to turn into a monster later. Currently my top choices are the Whipple 2.9 or the Procharger F1A. Also the TVS 2650 when it comes out. All help is welcome. Thanks!
FATTEMUNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 11:06 PM   #2
PackersFan26

Drives: 2017 Summit White 2SS
I’m personally going twin turbo when hellion releases their kit. I like being different. Did I mention that the sound of spooling turbos is intoxicating? Lol
Old 11-14-2017, 06:14 AM   #3
Omega

Drives: G8
PD is awesome for AWD, you will fight low speed traction with RWD. Hell, with my small BB turbos, I scramble for traction when they spool. If you want big power, turbo or centrifugal is the way to go. Just look at the forced induction thread.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 08:30 AM   #4
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
Most of the fast track times I have seen reported here are running Magnuson. The heartbeat setup can get you trap speeds into the 130's pretty easy.

That being said, I do think the F1A is top dawg but it's not worth it unless you plan n building the motor to utilize it's true potential. The problem I see with the P1 and D1 on the manual cars is they fall out of power on shift. The A8 should be better with a Centri.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 08:32 AM   #5
Cdflyer

Drives: 2016 1SS 6speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLT1 View Post
That's funny because all the fast track times being reported are running Magnuson.
Except the Fireball guys running an F1 and going 8’s....
Old 11-14-2017, 08:41 AM   #6
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdflyer View Post
Except the Fireball guys running an F1 and going 8’s....
I stated the F1A was a different animal. You need a set of drop in pistons to utilize it. I also expect the Eaton 2650 to easily do the same thing with a built motor. Today's PD blower technology has closed the gap with Centri.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 09:42 AM   #7
Perdieu

Drives: 2017 Nightfall Grey Auto 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLT1 View Post
Most of the fast track times I have seen reported here are running Magnuson. The heartbeat setup can get you trap speeds into the 130's pretty easy.
What is your idea of fast ?

ALL the fastest gen6 cars run Procharger's
Perdieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 09:49 AM   #8
ShizzySupra

Drives: 16' Camaro 2SS
There are so many factors that could effect this. Are you talking about quick freeway hit roll racing? Half mile roll racing? Are you building the motor? Etc etc.

PS: Anyone that says a PD blower will have traction issues isn't running a proper tire set-up etc. A properly pullied Centri will have plenty off the hit as well.
ShizzySupra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 05:51 PM   #9
Turbo_RORO

Drives: Camaro 17 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perdieu View Post
What is your idea of fast ?

ALL the fastest gen6 cars run Procharger's
Turbo_RORO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 05:55 PM   #10
Turbo_RORO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShizzySupra View Post
There are so many factors that could effect this. Are you talking about quick freeway hit roll racing? Half mile roll racing? Are you building the motor? Etc etc.

PS: Anyone that says a PD blower will have traction issues isn't running a proper tire set-up etc. A properly pullied Centri will have plenty off the hit as well.
The generalities thrown around never stop. Remember that with PD blowers the torque is instant, neck snapping, or some other ridiculous descriptor.
Old 11-14-2017, 06:45 PM   #11
FATTEMUNK

Drives: 600whp 2016 C63 AMG/ 2018 SS 1LE
Ok since there is a lot of confusion on my goals. I will be eventually doing a TSP 416 with forged everything. I will also have a set of slicks/radials for balls out runs. Never doing drag, not my thing. Going for long highway pulls as shown on speedfx and runway runs. Might take it to thunderhill and sonoma and maybe even laguna seca before I go 750whp+. Looking to get blower first then build up motor. Also on the turbo idea. I have owned turbo cars and the high entrance cost and my already purchased mods wont work. More interested in supercharged applications. Car is a 2018 SS 1LE so also a manual...
FATTEMUNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 07:11 PM   #12
Joe's_cool_1le

Drives: Black 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
Biased here because I haven't driven a centri but I understand how they say how the centri drives like a stock car until you get on it. My PD drives like I went to a bigger motor. Just raw power all the time. Just need to adjust your foot compression. But I must say I smile every time I drive the car vs just every time I get on the car. Keep in mind I'm not driving in heavy traffic day in and day out and I have my diesel truck (still has power ) when it rains or weather is cold. Mainly due to the 1LE R compound tires though. Regardless of your choice it's a great problem to have.
2017 1LE SS Black - Mods - Forged - lowered compression - BTR custom Cam - Whipple, 3.500 upper and 8.0 lower pulley, Roto-Fab, 1 7/8 Kooks headers, off road pipes, & 3" Kooks full exhaust. LT4 fuel system, with Alky single nozzle running 100% meth. (not installed yet) DSX Tuning flex fuel and DSX tuning Aux pump

Last edited by Joe's_cool_1le; 11-14-2017 at 07:59 PM.
Joe's_cool_1le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 07:51 PM   #13
Turbo_RORO

Quote:
Originally Posted by FATTEMUNK View Post
Ok since there is a lot of confusion on my goals. I will be eventually doing a TSP 416 with forged everything. I will also have a set of slicks/radials for balls out runs. Never doing drag, not my thing. Going for long highway pulls as shown on speedfx and runway runs. Might take it to thunderhill and sonoma and maybe even laguna seca before I go 750whp+. Looking to get blower first then build up motor. Also on the turbo idea. I have owned turbo cars and the high entrance cost and my already purchased mods wont work. More interested in supercharged applications. Car is a 2018 SS 1LE so also a manual...
I "THINK" you need to look at what you are really asking vs reality. Building a drag car is easy it has one job, so it can be great at that job. Building a 1/2+ mile car is easy it has one job. Building a street car that can do many things WELL is easy. How often will the car spend doing "highway pull"? Look at the positives and negative of both systems. I think IATs are the usual issue when doing long pulls with any setup. Going forged bottom end? Really you are going to get peoples personal opinions but in all reality you have to look at the power created in the range you will be racing. F1A or vs TVS 2600 vs 2.9 Whipple really at the same power level the race will be close. Probably come down to transmission type, and vehicle weight.
Old 11-14-2017, 07:55 PM   #14
Turbo_RORO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe's_cool_1le View Post
Biased here because I haven't driven a centri but I understand how they say how the centri drives like a stock car until you get on it. My PD drives like I went to a bigger motor. Just raw power all the time. Just need to adjust your foot compression. But I must say I smile every time I drive the car vs just every time I get on the car. Keep in mind I'm not driving in heavy traffic day in and day out and I have my diesel truck (still has power ) when it rains or weather is cold. Mainly do to the 1LE R compound tires though. Regardless of your choice it's a great problem to have.
That I can understand. My car is "stock like" until I get in the throttle, and after that ish get REAL. When it gets into boost its war time. Wanna talk crazy, punch the throttle and let it down shift, meth comes on, 044s kick on, and the speedo just cant keep up.