Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Phastek Performance

Old 01-20-2021, 10:58 PM   #15
20Bluezl1

Drives: 2020 Zl1 A10 Riverside Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitronut View Post
Aren't the SA2015 helmets outdated?

The SA2015 standard will still be current for most racing organizations. Snell recommends that SA15-approved helmets in good condition should still be accepted (at least until the end of their recommended 5-year lifespan). We should note that most club racing sanctioning bodies and track day companies allow for Snell ratings to last 10 years; SA2015 helmets will be good until at least 2025 (which we explain further down).

How long will an SA2015 helmet be good for?

Unfortunately, most racing organizations have not announced their changeover plans yet, so it is impossible to give a solid answer. Right now, we can only point to history and precedent.

In previous years, SCCA has accepted the current SA standard plus the previous standard (for 2019, that means SA15 and SA10). In the past, the rule has usually been updated to take effect after helmets with the newest standard have been available for one full year. For example, for the SA15

changeover, SA05 helmets were accepted until the beginning of 2017 (SA15 helmets went on sale in October 2015). If the SA20 and SA25 changeovers follow the same schedule, SA10 helmets would be accepted through 2021 and SA15 helmets should be accepted until the end of 2026.

Snell SA2020 vs. SA2015

SA2020 is very much an incremental change from SA2015. The primary aim was to bring the impact testing even more in line with FIA 8859-2015 requirements. All criteria will now be the same as or more stringent than FIA requirements. Note that Snell SA2020 certification does not automatically grant FIA homologation! A helmet which passes Snell SA2020 tests will theoretically pass FIA tests, but the helmet manufacturer must submit the helmet to the FIA in order to receive FIA homologation.

If I already have an SA2015 helmet, how long can I keep using it?

Even the best materials degrade over time, and the high-performance, lightweight materials in your helmet are no exception. Sunlight, ozone, perspiration, and even everyday bumps and knocks all take their toll on the shell and the inner liner. Snell recommends helmet replacement after 5 years of use, or immediately after any incident. Remember, the consequences of auto racing incidents can be violent and permanent. Only use safety equipment that is in top condition. When in doubt, replace it.

https://www.windingroad.com/articles...-need-to-know/

Not sure I understand how you think that the SA2015 is outdated. From this article I see you can use it till 2026. Yes they till you to replace it every 5 years from manufacturer date I'm assuming not from the standards date.
20Bluezl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 07:41 AM   #16
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20Bluezl1 View Post
Not sure I understand how you think that the SA2015 is outdated. From this article I see you can use it till 2026. Yes they till you to replace it every 5 years from manufacturer date I'm assuming not from the standards date.
I read 'outdated' as meaning 'not the latest' rather than 'obsolete'.

Snell recommends helmet replacement on a 5 year cycle, but does not require it. Damage excepted, of course.

I'll be on the hook for getting an SA2020 before I get out on the track again.

Norm
Old 01-21-2021, 08:06 AM   #17
Snakebt6

Drives: Rally Green 2020 ZL1 1LE A10
Ive got a black open face Simpson..channels my inner Dale Earnhardt lol
Snakebt6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 12:16 PM   #18
Nitronut

Drives: Duramax, 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
I posted that to show how long a SA2015 IS good for.
Old 01-21-2021, 12:23 PM   #19
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
im not looking at 2020 helmets because mine is outdated yet but they get gross over a few years and i was looking at upgrading to a carbon helmet maybe so why not! also need new headsock and maybe some new gloves also
Old 01-21-2021, 03:18 PM   #20
BMR Sales

Drives: Race Car
Quote:
It depends on the Racing Organization - Some allow a 5 Year Window and some a 10 Year
BMR Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 03:19 PM   #21
BMR Sales

Quote:
Originally Posted by kropscamaro16 View Post
im not looking at 2020 helmets because mine is outdated yet but they get gross over a few years and i was looking at upgrading to a carbon helmet maybe so why not! also need new headsock and maybe some new gloves also
Look into a Helmet Dryer to keep them fresh. I always have multiple Headsocks as they certainly help
Old 01-21-2021, 03:21 PM   #22
BMR Sales

Quote:
I just picked up a carbon fiber Bell helmet SA2015 as the SA2020 was not worth the extra $$$. I most likely change helmets in 4 years anyways.
You will like that. I got one of the 1st 2015 Carbons

painted by Savage

Old 01-21-2021, 04:14 PM   #23
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR Sales View Post
Look into a Helmet Dryer to keep them fresh. I always have multiple Headsocks as they certainly help

helmet dryer? interesting and yea new gloves/headsock for sure new helmet maybe!
Old 01-21-2021, 08:51 PM   #24
Dabjbr

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE
I'm in the market for a sub $500 sa2020 and have a few questions... and please factor in that I live near Sacramento Ca and do not believe any nearby shops sell auto helmets.

- What's the best way to compare helmets? Most sites don't list weight and I believe that is a critical need-to-know detail. Is there a great resource somewhere?

- I've measured my head at 57.5cm. I'm in between sizes. Should I go 56-57 and keep it snug or am I better off with 58-59 allowing space for a balaclava (never wore one before)

- If I buy online, should I just go the Amazon route so I can test fit several? I think I have an oval shaped head.

- Aside from safety, any other reason to go full face? I'm leaning towards open face for improved visibility/ventilation, ability to talk to passenger/instructor, and lighter weight.

- Thoughts on a neck collar? I anticipate 75/25 road course/autox use.

Lots of questions, I know. Thanks for any insight!
Dabjbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 07:52 AM   #25
joekd

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS vert
Here's my opinion on a couple of these items

Sizing - always go with the larger size, they sell (and usually provide for free in the box) padding pieces to make up the space but if it is too tight there really is nothing you can do

Open vs full - I have done several HPDE events and they always provide open faced, asked an instructor one time why and he explained that a full face is too restrictive for new helmet users as they get almost a claustrophobic feeling. Also as mentioned it is a lot easier to talk to a passenger with an open face. Unless they require a full face (like karting tracks) I always use open.

If you don't have any speed shops near you go to a motorcycle shop, they will always have a few on display that you can try on and get a feel for.

If going online Amazon is good because they let you return it easily, I bought my last G-Force helmet there
joekd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 08:17 AM   #26
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by joekd View Post
Open vs full
It's not quite that binary.

There are differences in the eyeport size among the full-face helmets. Look for helmet models that specifically mention having a large eyeport. Simpson advertises their Voyager 2 as still being a large-eyeport design.

Norm
Old 01-22-2021, 10:31 AM   #27
ponyboy96

Drives: 2020 ZLE A10, 2018 F250 Diesel
Picked up a GForce Nova the other day. Tried on everything from they had at discovery parts. It fit me best and was lightweight. I really liked the carbon fiber super nova, but at $500 more, I’ll pass.
ponyboy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 03:24 PM   #28
BMR Sales

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabjbr View Post
I'm in the market for a sub $500 sa2020 and have a few questions... and please factor in that I live near Sacramento Ca and do not believe any nearby shops sell auto helmets.

Wine Country Motorsports
https://winecountrymotorsports.com/

- What's the best way to compare helmets? Most sites don't list weight and I believe that is a critical need-to-know detail. Is there a great resource somewhere?

You really need to try Helmets on. Even with the same company Models will fit differently

- I've measured my head at 57.5cm. I'm in between sizes. Should I go 56-57 and keep it snug or am I better off with 58-59 allowing space for a balaclava (never wore one before)

- If I buy online, should I just go the Amazon route so I can test fit several? I think I have an oval shaped head.

I wouldn't

- Aside from safety, any other reason to go full face? I'm leaning towards open face for improved visibility/ventilation, ability to talk to passenger/instructor, and lighter weight.

you can get intercom systems whether you have Full Face or Open

- Thoughts on a neck collar? I anticipate 75/25 road course/autox use.

Neck Collars are WORTHLESS. HANS are the way to go
I have a Simpson Hybrid

https://www.simpsonraceproducts.com/...ybrid-pro-lite

Lots of questions, I know. Thanks for any insight!
Hope it helps