Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

AWE Tuning

Old 08-07-2019, 07:21 PM   #2955
Chadicus

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
That's true you got me there, only thing I can say is the A6 while stout was not a great transmission at all especially compared to the A10. We saw the A10 really didn't do anything for the Camaro compared to the A8.

I'm jsut trying to compare the C8 with something close to it. so we are looking at mid engine cars with DCTs. All the ones that are in the 11 flat or high tens are all either lighter than the C8, have more HP, or both. I am just trying to figure out how the C8 will be as fast or faster than comparible cars when it's heavier, and down on HP

I just pulled the Ford GT numbers from a C&D test because its a mid engine car, DCT just like the C8. the numbers the ford GT ran seem to be in the range of other mid engine cars of similar power- that is where the hang up is for me on the C8. All these other mid engine DCT cars that have 550+HP are in that 11 flat high 10 range and the C8 is going to do it with 495HP and being heavier than most? That is the part that just has me confused.

If we want to get away from Ford we could use the Mclaren 570S as an example. 0-60 sub 3 and 10.7 1/4 mile. 562HP, weighs 3200 pounds

Don't get me wrong I want it to be true. I know it probably looks like I am arguing against or trying to bash it. I just see all the other examples, and wonder how is the C8 going to do the same with less power and more weight.

And those mustang guys are idiots.
The McLaren and GT will both run over 200mph as well. If the C8 is very aggressively geared then running a 11.0 would be possible but its top speed would be considerably less than 200. Maybe not even 180. We dont know enough of the details yet. The Corvette team is claiming it's faster than the C7 Z06. I guess we will have to see.
Chadicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 08:04 AM   #2956
FNxR3DNECK

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadicus View Post
The McLaren and GT will both run over 200mph as well. If the C8 is very aggressively geared then running a 11.0 would be possible but its top speed would be considerably less than 200. Maybe not even 180. We dont know enough of the details yet. The Corvette team is claiming it's faster than the C7 Z06. I guess we will have to see.
You realize the 6th Gen SS can do 175-180 right? the C8 with 40ish more HP, a bit less weight and a fairly more aerodynamic shape shouldn't have too much trouble getting close to 200. Gearing will probably be the limiting factor if it tops out under 180, though my guess would be about 190.
Old 08-08-2019, 08:27 AM   #2957
Baldilocks01SS

Drives: SEARCHING
They just need to be careful when describing "quicker" and "faster". "Quicker" would imply acceleration numbers while "faster" would mean top speed.
Baldilocks01SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 08:37 AM   #2958
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldilocks01SS View Post
They just need to be careful when describing "quicker" and "faster". "Quicker" would imply acceleration numbers while "faster" would mean top speed.
the actual quote was "outperform" So i guess in a blanket that would mean all aspects...
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 02:59 PM   #2959
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Not just "outperform" but "outperform the current Z06 in every way". To me that means everything that has to do with performance. Braking, cornering, top speed, 0-60, quarter mile, everything.

The reason I believe this statement is because it is coming from the Corvette Chief Engineer and the Corvette Racing Programs manager as verified by Martinjlm. If M-jlm says it is true coming from those two guys then that is good enough for me. Plus there is no reason for them to lie or exaggerate about the performance. Those Vettes were all going to sell out regardless. So it isn't a selling point. Matter of fact, they are all sold to dealerships right now anyway. From what I can tell, if you don't have an allocation, you're not getting one until 2021. At least that is what a few dealerships have told me. One dealership says that after their 13 allocations are sold the chances of them getting another Vette at some point is slim to none. Another dealership says they don't even have any allocations, they aren't sure they'll be getting one, and they don't have any info to suggest that they'll be getting one for 2020. So that statement about the performance was not necessary to sell it. And if it doesn't outperform the Z06, then they would look bad and have some explaining to do. So I don't see why they would be dishonest about it.

Anyway, I'm still talking with my current dealership right now. There is no new info yet. And I think the pricing and performance info will be released on the 14th. Meanwhile those allocations are being swallowed up...
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 03:20 PM   #2960
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Well it looks like I'm going tomorrow to get my allocation!!
Old 08-08-2019, 03:49 PM   #2961
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
Not just "outperform" but "outperform the current Z06 in every way". To me that means everything that has to do with performance. Braking, cornering, top speed, 0-60, quarter mile, everything.

The reason I believe this statement is because it is coming from the Corvette Chief Engineer and the Corvette Racing Programs manager as verified by Martinjlm. If M-jlm says it is true coming from those two guys then that is good enough for me. Plus there is no reason for them to lie or exaggerate about the performance. Those Vettes were all going to sell out regardless. So it isn't a selling point. Matter of fact, they are all sold to dealerships right now anyway. From what I can tell, if you don't have an allocation, you're not getting one until 2021. At least that is what a few dealerships have told me. One dealership says that after their 13 allocations are sold the chances of them getting another Vette at some point is slim to none. Another dealership says they don't even have any allocations, they aren't sure they'll be getting one, and they don't have any info to suggest that they'll be getting one for 2020. So that statement about the performance was not necessary to sell it. And if it doesn't outperform the Z06, then they would look bad and have some explaining to do. So I don't see why they would be dishonest about it.

Anyway, I'm still talking with my current dealership right now. There is no new info yet. And I think the pricing and performance info will be released on the 14th. Meanwhile those allocations are being swallowed up...
To me the thing is this.... Ed Piatek is saying that the C8 Z51 that Ed Piatek led the development of outperforms the C7 Z06 that Ed Piatek led the development of. For starters, who knows the capability of the C7 Z06 better than Ed Piatek? And further, to whom is he proving what if he’s telling a bunch of people that already own Corvettes that the one he just finished is better than the one they already have? That is a statement that either gets backed up with proof or you have to start looking for rocks to crawl under.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 03:51 PM   #2962
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:

The reason I believe this statement is because it is coming from the Corvette Chief Engineer and the Corvette Racing Programs manager as verified by Martinjlm. If M-jlm says it is true coming from those two guys then that is good enough for me. Plus there is no reason for them to lie or exaggerate about the performance.
That's what makes it so confusing for me as well lol. They have no reason to lie, I want it to be true so bad lol.

I just can't wrap my head around the physics of it lol. I believe the official GM number for the Z06 in the 1/4 is 10.95. That means they are saying the C8 is going to be faster than that. I won't believe it till I see it, but that would be one hell of an accomplishment being able to do that down 155HP, down 180 lb ft of tq, and probably roughly the same weight. Am I the only one that thinks that's a tall order lol
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 07:37 AM   #2963
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
To me the thing is this.... Ed Piatek is saying that the C8 Z51 that Ed Piatek led the development of outperforms the C7 Z06 that Ed Piatek led the development of. For starters, who knows the capability of the C7 Z06 better than Ed Piatek? And further, to whom is he proving what if he’s telling a bunch of people that already own Corvettes that the one he just finished is better than the one they already have? That is a statement that either gets backed up with proof or you have to start looking for rocks to crawl under.
That is all I need to hear. These guys have nobody to lie to and nothing to lie about. Even if the Z51 did not outperform the Z06 it still would sell out. So you don't make that statement on a vehicle that is already gonna sell for no reason.
Quote:
That's what makes it so confusing for me as well lol. They have no reason to lie, I want it to be true so bad lol.

I just can't wrap my head around the physics of it lol. I believe the official GM number for the Z06 in the 1/4 is 10.95. That means they are saying the C8 is going to be faster than that. I won't believe it till I see it, but that would be one hell of an accomplishment being able to do that down 155HP, down 180 lb ft of tq, and probably roughly the same weight. Am I the only one that thinks that's a tall order lol
You keep saying that you want it to be true. Yet you keep trying to find reasons for it to not be true. Even when I mentioned that GM could be severely underrating the engine. Even when I mentioned what the C7 can do and compared the C8 differences as upgrades. So I can't make heads or tails of what you really want to believe.

Do I think it's a tall order for GM to beat the outgoing Z06 with the new ME C8 Z51? Not one bit. I did think it was impossible. But if the guy who designed and tested both cars says it is true then who are we to argue? No one aspect is going to produce those results. But everything put together can. Gearing, ME design, tuning, tires, new chassis, engine, all of it works together. And small improvements in each of these areas could yield drastic results especially if Chevy is behind it all. Plus the C7 Z06 is a 5 year old platform that is unchanged. So for sure there is new technology out there that is being used that exceeds what was done 5 years ago. I think you are going to be stunned when they reveal the performance of this car. August 15th is the date.
Old 08-09-2019, 07:42 AM   #2964
Baldilocks01SS

Drives: SEARCHING
I am going to go out on a limb and say that the 495 horsepower rating is very underrated. I'd even go as far to say that it will dyno AT 495-500 hp AT the rear wheels.
Baldilocks01SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 07:49 AM   #2965
newmoon

Drives: 2019 GT350
Quote:
I am going to go out on a limb and say that the 495 horsepower rating is very underrated. I'd even go as far to say that it will dyno AT 495-500 hp AT the rear wheels.
I'd say you are wrong. It will likely dyno in the 440-450 rwhp unless you find a very happy dyno.
2012 SRT Challenger 392 auto 12:40s 112 stock
2012 Ford Mustang 5.0. Brembo, 3:73s
2010 SS, LS3, Cammed, LTs, 12:20s
2004 Redfire Cobra, Pullied & Tuned
1986 GT, Ed Curtis 347ci, 11:20s motor. 10:30s 100-hp shot
newmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 07:55 AM   #2966
newmoon

Drives: 2019 GT350
Quote:
That is all I need to hear. These guys have nobody to lie to and nothing to lie about. Even if the Z51 did not outperform the Z06 it still would sell out. So you don't make that statement on a vehicle that is already gonna sell for no reason.

You keep saying that you want it to be true. Yet you keep trying to find reasons for it to not be true. Even when I mentioned that GM could be severely underrating the engine. Even when I mentioned what the C7 can do and compared the C8 differences as upgrades. So I can't make heads or tails of what you really want to believe.

Do I think it's a tall order for GM to beat the outgoing Z06 with the new ME C8 Z51? Not one bit. I did think it was impossible. But if the guy who designed and tested both cars says it is true then who are we to argue? No one aspect is going to produce those results. But everything put together can. Gearing, ME design, tuning, tires, new chassis, engine, all of it works together. And small improvements in each of these areas could yield drastic results especially if Chevy is behind it all. Plus the C7 Z06 is a 5 year old platform that is unchanged. So for sure there is new technology out there that is being used that exceeds what was done 5 years ago. I think you are going to be stunned when they reveal the performance of this car. August 15th is the date.
It may be faster than a C7 Z06 but I'd rather have the Z06, over a base C8. At least it is the performance trim model of the Corvette line. The C8 is a base model that will be old news very quickly when GS and Z06 models arrive. It's like comparing a 1SS non 1LE to a ZL1. What model do you prefer.
2012 SRT Challenger 392 auto 12:40s 112 stock
2012 Ford Mustang 5.0. Brembo, 3:73s
2010 SS, LS3, Cammed, LTs, 12:20s
2004 Redfire Cobra, Pullied & Tuned
1986 GT, Ed Curtis 347ci, 11:20s motor. 10:30s 100-hp shot
newmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 07:57 AM   #2967
lt4camaro

Drives: 2021 LT1 10 speed auto
Quote:

dont confuse 0-60 time to 1/4 mile time. The Z51 car will not beat the Z06 in the 1/4 mile. The C8 Z51 will also probably be competitive with the zo6 on a low speed road course, but will never beat it in a 1/4 mile drag.
lt4camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 08:18 AM   #2968
Dethsupp0rt

Drives: None
Quote:
. . . Even when I mentioned that GM could be severely underrating the engine . . .
Quote:
I am going to go out on a limb and say that the 495 horsepower rating is very underrated . . .
The power figures have been SAE certified, so the figures are not underrated.

That said, it should be close enough to Z06 performance until you hit about triple digits, when traction is no longer an issue for the supercharged beast.

On a tight course, the base C8 should also be right there with the more powerful car.

However, anything that involves speeds beyond double digits is probably going to favor the Z06.

Personally, I have no problem giving up the LT4 power for a Z51 C8 w/MRC. If you're a drag racer, well, the base C8 probably isn't the car for you, although it certainly won't be a slouch. Low-mid 11s all day long.
Dethsupp0rt is offline   Reply With Quote