#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Z/28 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 02-02-2018, 08:38 AM   #99
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessrayo View Post
85K is right in there with what the Demon costs. Why does the top Camaro have to be priced at a point the average Joe can afford it? The SS is a great car for the average Joe. I have spent over $85K after mods on my 2016 SS. If GM built a factory Camaro with twins and 800 hp I would buy it and keep the warranty.

I just think there are a lot of people that want to buy something outrageous and when they consider a Hellcat or a Cayenne or a Tesla S, if GM had a Camaro that was king it would be considered. A lot of people are buying hellcats around me.... I'm shocked how many are in my little town. I can't help but wonder if the ZL1 was 710 hp would there be ZL1s in town or are people really Dodge loyal? I really can't see it hurting Chevrolet to put another choice above the existing best Camaro because some people around me are spending $80k plus on vehicles and right now the only GM options in that range are a 2 seat vette, or a truck or a big SUV.
Well to me the problem with that kind of price tag on a Camaro comes down to this. IMO once it hit's that kind of price range, there is going to be internal competition between the Camaro and the Corvette. Specifically, right in line with the Z06
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 09:18 AM   #100
RLHMARINES
1st Civ. Div.

Drives: Camaroless for now...RIP "Big SexZ"
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
Well to me the problem with that kind of price tag on a Camaro comes down to this. IMO once it hit's that kind of price range, there is going to be internal competition between the Camaro and the Corvette. Specifically, right in line with the Z06
That should not be your thought process, GM sells $80K Sierra Denali's, Yukon Denali's, and Yukon XL Denali's and they have a place in the market due to want and needs of the buying public. If GM thought that way and tried to protect pickup truck sales by not offering similar appointments as the luxury SUV segment, this would send buyers elsewhere and not stay in the fold.

That's my thought process on this so we should not restrict what Team Camaro does to keep Team Corvette exclusively in the upper tier of Chevy Performance rank structure. We can have more than one flavor so to speak to satisfy our hunger. Nothing wrong with a little overlapping in some areas of performance.
Old 02-02-2018, 09:24 AM   #101
DRKS1D3

Drives: '17 Corvette Grand Sport M7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessrayo View Post
Well it doesn't matter if you pay $80K for the car or $35K, debt is debt and really has nothing to do with the Z/28 topic. As far as Mods and cars as investments...cars in general are not good investments. The are rapidly depreciating assets. I don't expect any return on any money I put in my cars....gas, tires, turbos, exhaust systems, cold air intakes...you name it, if you spend it on the car you might as well write it off as gone. If you park the car like a museum piece it might be worth something to someone some day. If you drive it, it is going to depreciate...Not a smart investment. I would consider purchasing a fast Z/28 to drive because that is what I like to do with my money.
To most, an $85-90k vehicle is too much. I live by the following, if you can't pay cash for it or at least put down 50% and pay it off in less than ~2 years, you're boning yourself. Again, to each their own. At that price, 50% down will still leave you with one Hell of a payment. If a Z/28 is making an appearance in the near future, I'd like to see an MSRP in the low $50k range. Put 50-60% down and have a reasonable payment instead of a $1,000/month punch in the face. I'm 37 and want to retire sooner than later. 55 is my goal and as is, I'm on track.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin15 View Post
You nailed it.

How do you put a price on the joy you get out of your car, you can't. It's the unique experience, that rush of adrenaline thru your arms as you hang on to the beast with the steering wheel. Some or most will never have that experience.
You can't put a price on it, but you can choose to make responsible purchases.

Quote:
Exactly what I said many pages ago. At some point, you end up stepping on your own toes.

**SOLD**2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE--6 SPEED MANUAL, MANY MODS, 455 RWHP/435 RWTQ

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED MANUAL, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
DRKS1D3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 09:31 AM   #102
shaffe

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLHMARINES View Post
That should not be your thought process, GM sells $80K Sierra Denali's, Yukon Denali's, and Yukon XL Denali's and they have a place in the market due to want and needs of the buying public. If GM thought that way and tried to protect pickup truck sales by not offering similar appointments as the luxury SUV segment, this would send buyers elsewhere and not stay in the fold.

That's my thought process on this so we should not restrict what Team Camaro does to keep Team Corvette exclusively in the upper tier of Chevy Performance rank structure. We can have more than one flavor so to speak to satisfy our hunger. Nothing wrong with a little overlapping in some areas of performance.
Those luxury SUVs have a place in the market though. Some of those Denali buyers wouldn't be caught in a Chevy so GMC fills the void.

I'm not saying it to protect corvette from a performance standpoint, I am saying it so you don't take sales away from your self. Say you sell 100 widgets a month, then you introduce a new widget that is eerily the same in price and performance and now instead of selling 100 widget A, you only sell 50 because now you sell 50 of widget B. You might make the same money and sell the same total of widgets, but have hurt an already strong product line

It's the same reason for why people have said the Chevelle would never come back, because it would take sales away from the Camaro.
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
Old 02-02-2018, 09:31 AM   #103
DRKS1D3

Here's a brainstorm that just hit me. How about eliminating the SS 1LE, adding some more performance mods, placing the Z/28 badge on it and set the MSRP at ~$50-55k? Thoughts?

**SOLD**2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE--6 SPEED MANUAL, MANY MODS, 455 RWHP/435 RWTQ

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED MANUAL, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
Old 02-02-2018, 09:32 AM   #104
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
That depends on the customer. Given the choice between a 6th gen Z/28 and a C7 Z06, I’d go with the Z/28.
Old 02-02-2018, 09:36 AM   #105
shaffe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
That depends on the customer. Given the choice between a 6th gen Z/28 and a C7 Z06, I’d go with the Z/28.
and myself would take the Corvette. (then again I have always been partial to Corvettes lol)

But say if I was just some joe schmo with moneys, even if the Camaro was faster I'd probably take the vette because it would probably have more creature comforts than a stripped out track toy.
Old 02-02-2018, 10:04 AM   #106
DRKS1D3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRKS1D3 View Post
Here's a brainstorm that just hit me. How about eliminating the SS 1LE, adding some more performance mods, placing the Z/28 badge on it and set the MSRP at ~$50-55k? Thoughts?
2020 Z/28--$50-55k: All the tech of the SS 1LE, plus: upgraded brakes (cross-drilled/slotted rotors/), 40-50hp bump, Z/28 specific lightweight 19" wheels and aggressive tires, other various Z/28 specific performance parts/aesthetic touches to make it special, etc..

I could live with something like this.

Old 02-02-2018, 10:13 AM   #107
shaffe

Quote:
2020 Z/28--$50-55k: All the tech of the SS 1LE, plus: upgraded brakes (cross-drilled/slotted rotors/), 40-50hp bump, Z/28 specific lightweight 19" wheels and aggressive tires, other various Z/28 specific performance parts/aesthetic touches to make it special, etc..

I could live with something like this.
That to me ticks the boxes of the Z/28.

It's clearly the best handling N/A camaro, it respects the heritage.

The 5th gen car simply put a lot of expectations on the badge
Old 02-02-2018, 10:20 AM   #108
DevilsReject97
Nightmare

Drives: Your mom crazy in bed
Quote:
I've already said as much, that the 1LE is essentially the Z/28 already. You could throw some better suspension gear, maybe a slight HP bump if you want, and call it the Z/28.

There is no real need for some mythical, 5th gen like Z/28....that's what the ZL1 1LE already is....

Now, if you want to go SS 1LE and add the DSSV and a few other choice goodies to it...even better..
Old 02-02-2018, 10:36 AM   #109
FNxR3DNECK

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsReject97 View Post
I've already said as much, that the 1LE is essentially the Z/28 already. You could throw some better suspension gear, maybe a slight HP bump if you want, and call it the Z/28.

There is no real need for some mythical, 5th gen like Z/28....that's what the ZL1 1LE already is....

Now, if you want to go SS 1LE and add the DSSV and a few other choice goodies to it...even better..

As much as I would love to see a monster Z/28 that's faster than the ZL1 1LE I think I would rather see it based on the SS 1LE with the DSSVs, new N/A big power LT and reworked aero (not the ZL1 1LE front fascia since it doesn't need the massive grills for cooling). I think they could do that for about the price of a ZL1, or maybe same price as ZL1 1LE, and that should sell well.
Old 02-02-2018, 10:41 AM   #110
DRKS1D3

Quote:
That to me ticks the boxes of the Z/28.

It's clearly the best handling N/A camaro, it respects the heritage.

The 5th gen car simply put a lot of expectations on the badge
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsReject97 View Post

Perhaps, have additional options such as: CC brakes, rear seat delete, other? Start it at ~$50k and top it out at ~$60k.

Old 02-02-2018, 11:07 AM   #111
cmancha003

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #1097
Quote:
Perhaps, have additional options such as: CC brakes, rear seat delete, other? Start it at ~$50k and top it out at ~$60k.
I don't think they will ever do a seat delete from the factory. I want to say that Al has stated that in an interview.
cmancha003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 12:18 PM   #112
DRKS1D3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmancha003 View Post
I don't think they will ever do a seat delete from the factory. I want to say that Al has stated that in an interview.
Yea, no big deal. I was just bouncing ideas around.

I believe this is their best bet. Essentially, a more hardcore version of the SS 1LE. From both performance and price standpoints, it would fall about 3/4 of the way up the Camaro model list. Perfect!