#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Z/28 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 01-23-2019, 05:49 PM   #155
tbrennyZL1

Drives: Corvette Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-99SS View Post
Link to any rumour of AWD C8 besides individual speculation?

No Corvette or Camaro has ever been AWD, nor should they. Plenty of other names/brands they can market those types of cars under.

Same goes for Mustangs and Challengers, etc.
Why should they not evolve? Their was never 600,700 hp either, so should the stick to 500 or less by that argument. At some point increasing power with the current layout is a total waste. I’m not suggesting change every vehicle, but rather one high hp vehicle (that’s more of a GT based car) while still maintaing the others being RWD (and track oriented).
tbrennyZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 06:02 PM   #156
tbrennyZL1

Drives: Corvette Z06
Quote:
Have you driven an AWD sports car - or do you own one? If not, why not? There are already plenty of options for you besides desecrating the Camaro name with AWD.
Yes, porsche is fantastic. They’re cars always rate well. I haven’t driven others but the GT-R for years was considered fantastic (now been out a bit too long).
The new M5 with RWD mode has had high praise. I think having a RWD mode would be huge for the some of you guys. I know a lot of us our faithful to the American cars which is why we want one of them to use awd. Plus they sound the best! If Cadillac used the LT4 in the ATS-V (or upcoming CT4?) and used AWD I’d buy it over a Camaro. But Cadillac is in a deep hole right now, so don’t see that happening!
tbrennyZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 07:43 PM   #157
Gen6_1Le

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1Le
Quote:
Forgot about the V6 AWD Challenger

Comparing disc brakes and fuel injection to an entire platform layout is laughable at best.

Have you driven an AWD sports car - or do you own one? If not, why not? There are already plenty of options for you besides desecrating the Camaro name with AWD.
I had planned on driving a GT-R at New Jersey Motorsports park last year but it was rained out , have to wait till July and i can't wait . Have you ever heard of the 3rd gen Iron Duke Camaro ? You want to talk about Camaro desecration, it happened many years ago .
Gen6_1Le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 08:00 PM   #158
Gen6_1Le

Quote:
Originally Posted by FNxR3DNECK View Post
So first of all adding an AWD option to the Camaro lineup wouldn't "desecrate" it by any means. Secondly if you truly believe that my next point will probably fall on deaf ears: YES comparing the introduction of disc brakes and fuel injection is completely reasonable in this context. It's just new technology and application, AWD has proven to be a viable option for many sports cars/super cars so why couldn't it work on the Camaro or Corvette platform.

Now with that said I agree like others that the Camaro doesn't need AWD and the team knows that and therefor we most likely won't see an AWD Camaro until we reach the point in time when there is a 100% electric Camaro at which point of course it will be AWD with a motor at each wheel. The "rumored" AWD C8 Vette (IF IT IS REAL) won't be a traditional AWD car like the GTR or R8, it will be a hybrid setup much like the 918, TTV8 powering the rear wheels and electric motors powering the front. This will work well for a mid-engine platform, hence it's already been proven on the 918. I don't see such a setup working on the front-engine Camaro. So IMO, AWD is coming eventually... but not for a while so clam down everyone that's terrified of a little change.

As others have said I too think the Gen 7 will best benefit from being as light and nimble as possible, it will sit on the revised Alpha II platform so hopefully they will shed a few more pounds there and I'm really hoping they go for a mostly aluminum body that would be the most cost efficient way to save more weight across the lineup. And be prepared for more CF and composites and/or weight saving options on the higher trims (like the GT350R and 5th gen Z/28 did).

Thanks to the parts bin we will see stuff from the C8, I really don't understand why people are doubting this, just because an engine is developed mainly for the mid-engine Vette doesn't mean it can't work in the Camaro. The 7th Gen is almost certainly well into development, right along side the C8, and I believe we will see it release as a 2022MY right after the C8 for 2021MY. Just my 2 cents, rant over haha
Great rant and educational , good stuff . Although i believe we will see an AWD Camaro before its 100% electric. The Porsche 918 is one of my dream cars ,3600 lbs and 800+ HP has to be a fun drive. Al O may already have plans for Camaro now he is head of electric car development.
Old 01-24-2019, 04:35 AM   #159
V8 Firebird

Drives: ⚡Electric TM3 ⚡
AWD is heavy drivetrain, that would cause the vehicle doesn't have good top speed. That is why Mercedes offered their E63 AMG three trims. E63S has more horsepower than E63 AWD version.

Plus, AWD will add the cost for car.
Old 01-24-2019, 08:07 AM   #160
NW-99SS

Drives: 1999 Camaro SS M6 - SBE LS1
Yet Porsche doesn't offer AWD on their highest performing highest HP cars.

Don't even get me started on GTR boredom.

Each to their own. And no, HP logic vs taking a 50+ year RWD only platform is COMPLETELY different, no matter how you spin it.

You keep missing my point - sure GM can make an AWD performance car - I have no issue with that...just don't call it a Camaro.
2017 Yukon Denali 6.2
NW-99SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 03:30 PM   #161
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
When I think of the possibility of an AWD camaro a few things come to mind.

Heavy
Expensive
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 04:02 PM   #162
Gen6_1Le

Quote:
Yet Porsche doesn't offer AWD on their highest performing highest HP cars.

Don't even get me started on GTR boredom.

Each to their own. And no, HP logic vs taking a 50+ year RWD only platform is COMPLETELY different, no matter how you spin it.

You keep missing my point - sure GM can make an AWD performance car - I have no issue with that...just don't call it a Camaro.
The 918 Spyder is considered the best Porsche ever made and maybe the best performance car ever made , its not just AWD its a plug in Hybrid to boot . Cost was $850k .
Old 01-24-2019, 04:08 PM   #163
Gen6_1Le

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
When I think of the possibility of an AWD camaro a few things come to mind.

Heavy
Expensive
Seems like your also thinking about the 5th Gen Z28
Old 01-24-2019, 04:34 PM   #164
NW-99SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen6_1Le View Post
The 918 Spyder is considered the best Porsche ever made and maybe the best performance car ever made , its not just AWD its a plug in Hybrid to boot . Cost was $850k .
How do you like your 918?
2017 Yukon Denali 6.2
Old 01-24-2019, 04:44 PM   #165
Gen6_1Le

Quote:
How do you like your 918?
They sold out before i had a chance to get one . How do you like being wrong all the time ? Try to stay focused on the subject you may do a little better .
Old 01-25-2019, 07:48 AM   #166
NW-99SS

Quote:
They sold out before i had a chance to get one . How do you like being wrong all the time ? Try to stay focused on the subject you may do a little better .
Right...

So again, you want an AWD Camaro, of which there has never been one, but don't own an AWD sports car or otherwise. Nice way to validate yourself.
2017 Yukon Denali 6.2
Old 01-25-2019, 04:51 PM   #167
Gen6_1Le

Quote:
Right...

So again, you want an AWD Camaro, of which there has never been one, but don't own an AWD sports car or otherwise. Nice way to validate yourself.
When Chevy made the stripped down Z28 a 75K Camaro they set the bar. Even though 95% of the people would have been very happy with 1Le dressed in Z28 stickers and 20HP bump ,especially if it came with an automatic. Now lets push ahead to 2024 or sooner , what i would like to see is a 775HP or more maybe even much more motor . On the lines of the new Cadillac Blackwing along with some electric motors to equal that HP and 850+ in torq. There won't be enough aerodynamics available to keep grip for that car , that's where AWD comes in . I think that would be the perfect Z28 , Al O talked about wanting a sub 7 minute Camaro at Nurburgring , a Z28 AWD hybrid will do it . It may not come cheap but neither did the last one. Don't let what the Camaro never had fog your mind , open it up to the tech that's out there NOW and use it .
Old 01-25-2019, 07:59 PM   #168
396ssrat

Drives: 66 Chevelle SS
Quote:
When Chevy made the stripped down Z28 a 75K Camaro they set the bar. Even though 95% of the people would have been very happy with 1Le dressed in Z28 stickers and 20HP bump ,especially if it came with an automatic. Now lets push ahead to 2024 or sooner , what i would like to see is a 775HP or more maybe even much more motor . On the lines of the new Cadillac Blackwing along with some electric motors to equal that HP and 850+ in torq. There won't be enough aerodynamics available to keep grip for that car , that's where AWD comes in . I think that would be the perfect Z28 , Al O talked about wanting a sub 7 minute Camaro at Nurburgring , a Z28 AWD hybrid will do it . It may not come cheap but neither did the last one. Don't let what the Camaro never had fog your mind , open it up to the tech that's out there NOW and use it .
There again, ZL1 Camaro's were big blocks but look at 'em now.
396ssrat is offline   Reply With Quote