Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-14-2017, 10:00 AM   #1
thebluecamaross

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS ABM
Post 2015 Z28 or 2017 zl1?

Hey guys, hope ya'll having a good day.

So I wanted to share with you guys my opinions and thoughts behind the two choices for my next car.

2015 Z28: Personally, I've always had a soft spot for the 5th generation Camaro. For me, they are the closest thing to a modern muscle car. The z28 itself is so beautiful. It's simplistic, none of that modern tech bull shit, all power and play and has pretty comfortable seats so that's a plus.

I have some options of some that are in the low 40's and mid 40's and for what I'm getting I think its a great price (as opposed to 75k at msrp). I fell like with the money I'm saving from a ZL1 I could pretty much slap an after market cam, s plugs, supercharger, pulleys, bolt-ons, etc and just make this car a monster.

Aside from looking good and performing well it sorta has a very unique feeling of driving such a mechanical car. Heck, even the scarcity adds a feeling of indifference. I've almost never seen a z28 at my local car meets and just like my SS it's hard to find. I like that shit. This may be a lowkey collectors item. Who knows? With technology creeping into the electrically power cars there is always gonna be that guy wanting to fly down the street in a roaring ls7 or that kid at school showing up with a vintage car to be and feel different.

Of course it's no where as technologically advance and fast as the new zl1 but it's for me the last N/A camaro with such a powerful engine. (Assuming I don't slap force inductions).

2017 zl1:

This mother ****ing car is brutal. I've seen it walk so many super cars on the track and all around beat like 90% of cars. Its fast, mean and sounds like refined sports car. That's the problem for me it's too sporty.

The interior is a little too much for me in all honesty with all these digital touch screen screens and shit, but I do enjoy that the ZL1 has the auto rev matching and other crazy features like that.

Basically I'd be getting this car for that "bought not built" title. I don't see this car really going anywhere in exclusivity as I see every other spoiled kid getting one for a mere 650 a month with pops credit. Aside from these kids there are older people also valuing this american beauty over other foreign competitors so I feel that it's just gonna be another popular leased monster car. I've seen about 3 in the past 2 weeks at car meets.

What do you guys think?
thebluecamaross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 10:14 AM   #2
JLSuperfly

Drives: 2014 Red Hot LS3
If money is not much an issue, I would get a 6th gen ZL1.
You can't really go wrong either way. It is nice to have a dilemma such as yours.
JLSuperfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 10:19 AM   #3
maddoggyusa

Drives: 2013 Camaro Dusk 2SS/6
watch this review... I think the new ZL1 is the best driving Camaro ever. Wish the interior looked better though... don't like just 1 color interiors.

maddoggyusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 10:23 AM   #4
Spurshot

Drives: 2014 2SS blue
I'm guessing neither one will be your daily commuter?

If it's gonna be a daily driver, I'd go with the ZL1. For a weekender/collector, the Z28 will do better in the long haul for appreciation, IMO. But I'd leave any car I expect to appreciate in value absolutely dead stock. No collector wants mods. Fact. If a stock Z28 can't take you to the edge of orgasm, buy something else

I do think a Z28 is a great buy for an investment over maybe 10 or more years. I'd buy one, but I am making more in stocks and really hate stressing about having a nice car. My SS is my DD and I bought it used with the mindset that I'd drive it into the ground commuting.

Last edited by Spurshot; 07-14-2017 at 10:35 AM.
Spurshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 10:27 AM   #5
thebluecamaross

These cars will not be my daily!
Old 07-14-2017, 10:28 AM   #6
thebluecamaross

I would sell all the mods I do to it at time of selling. I will not be doing body work to preserve its integrity.
Old 07-14-2017, 10:42 AM   #7
gpskinzhut

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10
Z28 if you want exclusivity and a more unforgiving ride, more of a purpose built car than the other.

ZL1 if you want more power and a more versatile car with comfort / convenience / performance options. Production numbers should be similar to the 5 ZL1

Both are extremely capable.

Both can be heavily modified.

"built not bought" is a term insecure owners like to throw around to make themselves feel better or elevate their car over someone else's. It's really irrelevant. I could twist this and say a Z28 is "built not bought" when you could buy an SS, strip it down and build it to do the same thing a Z28 does. Ignore ridiculous nonsense like this.

Cars are a terrible investment.

Personally, I'd go with a 6/ZL1 but that's just me. Go with what you're comfortable in or what better fits your intended purpose for the vehicle. Either are a pretty good choice.

2017 ZL1 A10
2017 2SS M6: (SOLD) || 2014 2LT Convertible: (SOLD) || 2010 2LT M6 Supercharged:(SOLD) || 1987 IROC-Z 5.0 M5: (SOLD)
gpskinzhut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 10:54 AM   #8
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
tough choice...are you keeping your current camaro as your daily?
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 11:14 AM   #9
Spurshot

Drives: 2014 2SS blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpskinzhut View Post

Cars are a terrible investment.

I agree mostly with this and pretty much all you stated. Although in a good economy, vintage American muscle cars seem to be doing well. I think the Z28 is a low enough production and many will succumb to the attrition of accidents, track or street, and many will get modified which will decrease their value as a collectable. I suppose the Cam6 ZL1 falls into the same category, but it'll be costing you more and depreciate for a good number of years first, before it hopes to appreciate. The Cam5 Z28 seems to be down pretty far already and may see a leveling or turn upward in value, soon.

Me? I'm too old to worry about investing in a 10 year car appreciation plan. I just want to experience stuff and move onto the next experience. I just don't know for certain what that next experience should be for my car.
Old 07-14-2017, 11:18 AM   #10
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
I would get the ZL1 1LE. 14th fastest car around the Ring......ever!
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 11:33 AM   #11
sixty9fordkiller
Donkey Dick Cam Camaro

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3 M6
id get the 6th gen ZL1. Can those be found for ~ mid $40K now?

Bone Stock
sixty9fordkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 11:38 AM   #12
sixty9fordkiller
Donkey Dick Cam Camaro

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3 M6
the cheapest i can find is a 2200 mile 2016 thats ~$57K

Bone Stock
sixty9fordkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 12:08 PM   #13
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Just remember that the Z/28 is a track car, and it rides very stiff. It also can be lacking some of the creature comforts.

Air conditioning was an option, and a radio with more than a single speaker was an option.

Any year ZL1 is an awesome car, the 6th gen more so than the 5th if you like technology. If you don't care for all the tech, the 5th gen ZL1 is a nice way to go.

If you really want exclusivity, go with the 6thgen ZL1 1LE. This thing is a BEAST!. I've had the pleasure of putting 350 miles on one and all I can say is OMG!, and I already have a 5th gen ZL1.

It has been suggested that there will be people trading in their ZL1 1LE's, once they discover how firm the ride really is. It's firm , but not totally objectionable as long as you lower the tire pressure to about 29psi.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 12:24 PM   #14
DRKS1D3

Drives: '17 Corvette Grand Sport M7
IMHO, I would go with the ZL1. It is an extremely capable car and you have all of the creature comforts, whereas the Z/28 has none. As previously stated, vehicles are poor investments. If you're banking on either of these vehicles being worth something in the future, you'll be waiting a while...a long while. FYI, the Z/28's sold new for ~$75k. Very, very low mileage examples can now be snatched up for ~$45-50k. Buy the one you will enjoy, not the one that MAY be worth something 40 years down the road.

**SOLD**2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE--6 SPEED MANUAL, MANY MODS, 455 RWHP/435 RWTQ

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED MANUAL, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
DRKS1D3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camaro, z28, zl1