Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Phastek Performance

Old 06-16-2018, 09:01 PM   #1
YETI 18

Drives: 2018 Summit White ZL1 1LE
Competition/slick tires

Who’s running what and have you done anything to prevent oil starvation during high sustained G corners?
YETI 18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 09:52 PM   #2
Provoste

Drives: E46 S54 race car, 964C2
No starvation issues in 6th gen on slicks. I took baseline data before committing to Pirelli slicks via PDR. Minimum oil pressure dropped by .2 PSI versus street tires, same track, same day. I’ve checked data at Barber, Putnam Park, Mid Ohio & VIR. Apparently GM sorted the oil starvation with the 10 quart sump.
Provoste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 11:43 PM   #3
YETI 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Provoste View Post
No starvation issues in 6th gen on slicks. I took baseline data before committing to Pirelli slicks via PDR. Minimum oil pressure dropped by .2 PSI versus street tires, same track, same day. I’ve checked data at Barber, Putnam Park, Mid Ohio & VIR. Apparently GM sorted the oil starvation with the 10 quart sump.
Thank you Provoste. I thought the same thing, glancing at my pressure during some fast turns at Utah Motorsports Campus and not seeing fluctuations. Thing is, the more I talk with people, builders etc, the more I hear I should get a dry sump system before running sticky tires to prevent starvation.
Old 06-17-2018, 11:07 PM   #4
Mountain

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2016 1SS (previous)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Provoste View Post
Sweet! Thanks for reporting! Another reason I love these Camaros.
Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 11:19 PM   #5
YETI 18

Does anyone else have information? Anyone else using super sticky tires for the track!
Old 06-20-2018, 09:22 AM   #6
mjk3888
"M1SS1LE"

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by YETI 18 View Post
Thank you Provoste. I thought the same thing, glancing at my pressure during some fast turns at Utah Motorsports Campus and not seeing fluctuations. Thing is, the more I talk with people, builders etc, the more I hear I should get a dry sump system before running sticky tires to prevent starvation.
Those people have any personal experience with 6th gen V8 Camaros? 10qt wet sump in these cars work just fine.
Old 06-20-2018, 10:00 AM   #7
Provoste

Quote:
When I say evaluating w/ PDR... I'm not talking about keeping an eye on gauges while on track. I looked at min oil pressure over an entire session via the cosworth tool. Minimum oil pressure (over an entire session) dropped by .2psi. Minimum oil pressure was over 32psi for both slicks and street tires. I have buddies that have blown up LS3's on the same tracks (Barber, Putnam Park) because they were seeing oil pressure drop into the mid-low teens in sustained high speed right handers.
Old 06-20-2018, 08:36 PM   #8
YETI 18

Thanks for the responses. It is the race scene I’m getting information from and a guy with a corvette grenaded his motor while on slicks. Claimed it was oil starvation. I don’t have the particulars on the Vette specs, but it was a newer gen with the supercharger. That’s why I’m getting information.
Old 06-21-2018, 07:28 AM   #9
mjk3888
"M1SS1LE"

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Quote:
Thanks for the responses. It is the race scene I’m getting information from and a guy with a corvette grenaded his motor while on slicks. Claimed it was oil starvation. I don’t have the particulars on the Vette specs, but it was a newer gen with the supercharger. That’s why I’m getting information.
C7 corvettes come with dry sump systems on the Higher Performance models. Rumors were they didn't have the under engine clearance to fit a large enough oil pan to negate the need for a dry sump. Sounds like this guy you spoke with may have been running a highly modified setup on a base model C7 engine without upgrading to the dry sump oil system used on the Hi Po Vettes. Camaro clearly doesn't have that issue. Even the ZL1 1LE runs a wet sump. I'm sure the guy is right about needing to modify the vette oiling system, but although the engines are the same the oiling systems on the Camaro and Vette are apples and oranges.

Even removing that logic from the equation, I have seen several guys on the forums running slicks and have yet to hear of a single oil starvation issue.

Totally understandable to be cautious and worry about potential issues when upgrading to slicks, but I think your safe.
Old 06-21-2018, 04:43 PM   #10
Camaroguy555

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2016 1SS NPP 6MT MRC
I would talk to JDP about oil starvation on the 6th gen. He blew his LT1 up at UMC running a 315 Hoosier R7 and said he believes it was related to oil starvation as he had run a 315 street tire for 2 years almost all across the country and the first day he put on slicks he lost the motor coming onto the straight.
Camaroguy555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 05:21 PM   #11
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
excuse my ignorance but why would running slicks cause oil starvation ??
Old 06-21-2018, 06:52 PM   #12
Provoste

Quote:
Originally Posted by kropscamaro16 View Post
excuse my ignorance but why would running slicks cause oil starvation ??
Concern is that with the additional g-forces slicks allow, the oil in the pan can slosh to one side of the pan during sustained high load corners and the oil pickup isn’t fully submerged, resulting in reduced oil pressure, which then means things in the motor that depend on oil to not blow up, don’t have enough oil... and they blow up. Think banking at Daytona for example as a high load/high g-force long and sustained corner.

Dry sump takes this concern out of the equation because there is no oil pan, instead there is an oil tank and oil throughout the system is pressurized.

Our 6th gen Camaro’s are “wet sump”, where we have an oil pan with 10 quarts of oil capacity, 4-4.5 quarts more oil capacity than wet sump LS3’s, which do have oiling issues on sticky tires.

Last edited by Provoste; 06-21-2018 at 10:44 PM.