Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Phastek Performance

Old 12-18-2019, 12:01 PM   #57
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
That 5w30 dexos 2 is what is specd for the 2.8 duramax in the Colorado and possibly Cruze and equinox diesels
Old 12-19-2019, 09:34 AM   #58
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6spdhyperblue View Post
That 5w30 dexos 2 is what is specd for the 2.8 duramax in the Colorado and possibly Cruze and equinox diesels
Thanks for the info. Well then, I'd take any guessing out of the process and just go by the manual.
Personally, given changes to Valvoline MST i will switch to the factory fill.
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 02:55 PM   #59
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Curious to get some thoughts...

For MY2020, the manual states to use the dexos2 0W-40 oil, but that 5W-30 dexos1 "may be used for street use." The fill cap on the motor says 0W-40 DEXOS, and I will NEVER take the car to a track. Should I:

- Find the Mobil 1 0W-40 dexos2 oil and suck up the cost (which seems ludicrous, especially since there are exactly FOUR oils that meet these criteria and three of them are Mobil 1)
- Opt for a 5W-40 dexos2 oil which is more available although cost doesn't seem to be appreciably less than the 0W-40 overall
- Just run a dexos1 5W-30 oil

The 5W-30 dexos1 Mobil1 that I just put in after 600 miles shows a lower hot idle oil pressure than I was seeing before the oil change (it's basically 30psi at idle once warmed up while it was previously at least close to 40psi). When driving the oil pressure fluctuates seemingly along the lines of how it did before.

Will I put my foot it in occasionally? Absolutely. Am I going to drive it at 5k RPM's or higher for stretches of time (like one would on a track)? Not a chance.

Do I need to be focused on using the 0W-40 dexos2? Or, am I perfectly fine with the 5W-30 dexos1? It's a weekend car, not a daily driver, is garaged, and will never be driven in the winter (except for possibly having to get it out of the garage to load it on a trailer if I'm moving or similar). The garage it is currently in never drops below about 35 degrees unless there's a massive cold stretch. Even then, it will typically not fall below about 20 degrees. Being attached to the house helps to keep the temps from completely nosediving no matter what's happening outside.
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 03:28 PM   #60
20Bluezl1

Drives: 2020 Zl1 A10 Riverside Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by ember1205 View Post

For MY2020, the manual states to use the dexos2 0W-40 oil, but that 5W-30 dexos1 "may be used for street use." The fill cap on the motor says 0W-40 DEXOS, and I will NEVER take the car to a track. Should I:

- Find the Mobil 1 0W-40 dexos2 oil and suck up the cost (which seems ludicrous, especially since there are exactly FOUR oils that meet these criteria and three of them are Mobil 1)
- Opt for a 5W-40 dexos2 oil which is more available although cost doesn't seem to be appreciably less than the 0W-40 overall

The 5W-30 dexos1 Mobil1 that I just put in after 600 miles shows a lower hot idle oil pressure than I was seeing before the oil change (it's basically 30psi at idle once warmed up while it was previously at least close to 40psi). When driving the oil pressure fluctuates seemingly along the lines of how it did before.

Will I put my foot it in occasionally? Absolutely. Am I going to drive it at 5k RPM's or higher for stretches of time (like one would on a track)? Not a chance.

Do I need to be focused on using the 0W-40 dexos2? Or, am I perfectly fine with the 5W-30 dexos1? It's a weekend car, not a daily driver, is garaged, and will never be driven in the winter (except for possibly having to get it out of the garage to load it on a trailer if I'm moving or similar). The garage it is currently in never drops below about 35 degrees unless there's a massive cold stretch. Even then, it will typically not fall below about 20 degrees. Being attached to the house helps to keep the temps from completely nosediving no matter what's happening outside.

To what its worth i just replaced my oil inmy 20 zl1 and I don't track it yet but do drive it super hard in the streets. I was debating the same thing between oils i decided to get do it correctly like if I was tracking the car go with 0w-40 dexos2. Its not my DD either I believe they changed the oil fir a reason.
20Bluezl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 03:31 PM   #61
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20Bluezl1 View Post
To what its worth i just replaced my oil inmy 20 zl1 and I don't track it yet but do drive it super hard in the streets. I was debating the same thing between oils i decided to get do it correctly like if I was tracking the car go with 0w-40 dexos2. Its not my DD either I believe they changed the oil fir a reason.
The manual for mine does specifically state 0W-40 dexos2 but also says 5W-30 is perfectly fine for street use. So, what would "get it done right" mean in this scenario? Wishy-washy documentation is almost always going to fall in favor of the vendor if a problem arises. But the implied statement is that I can use the 5W-30 dexos1 without being concerned about an issue.
Old 07-20-2020, 03:31 PM   #62
trohde78

Drives: '17 Red Hot 2SS 6MT
Quote:

The LT1 was originally designed to use 5W-30. Then Mobil created 0W-40 ESP specifically for this engine. If you don't track it, then you should be fine with 5W-30. Although, you'll probably only change your oil once a year, and you're basically talking about $50 for 5W-30 vs. $80 for the 0W-40. Neither would be wrong, but I've switched to 0W-40 on my '17, as there should be a benefit to using an oil that was created for this engine.
trohde78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 03:35 PM   #63
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by trohde78 View Post
The LT1 was originally designed to use 5W-30. Then Mobil created 0W-40 ESP specifically for this engine. If you don't track it, then you should be fine with 5W-30. Although, you'll probably only change your oil once a year, and you're basically talking about $50 for 5W-30 vs. $75 for the 0W-40.
Actually, it's $25 for Kirkland 5W-30 dexos1 Gen 2 (which is also listed on the GM website) for two 5qt jugs at Costco. WITH an oil filter, we're talking $35 per oil change versus $110 for the Mobil1 stuff.

Massive price difference to the point where I would be happy to change the oil when I put it away for the winter and again when I bring it back out onto the roads in the spring. And again during the season if I actually drive it enough!
Old 07-20-2020, 03:39 PM   #64
trohde78

Quote:
Actually, it's $25 for Kirkland 5W-30 dexos1 Gen 2 (which is also listed on the GM website) for two 5qt jugs at Costco. WITH an oil filter, we're talking $35 per oil change versus $110 for the Mobil1 stuff.

Massive price difference to the point where I would be happy to change the oil when I put it away for the winter and again when I bring it back out onto the roads in the spring. And again during the season if I actually drive it enough!
That's true on the Kirkland oil. That's a crazy good deal. I just wish they made a high mileage version.
Old 07-20-2020, 03:54 PM   #65
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by trohde78 View Post
That's true on the Kirkland oil. That's a crazy good deal. I just wish they made a high mileage version.
Sorry, I was wrong on the price.

It's NORMALLY $24.99 for a two-pack of 5qt jugs. There's currently a $3 manufacturer rebate, limit five two-packs.

Old 07-20-2020, 07:58 PM   #66
TrackClub

Quote:

I would not hesitate to use quality 5w30 dexos1 for DD.
Afterall, until recently this was a factory fill. No DD will produce sustained G forces beyond this oil's capability to affect pickup (unless somebody is completely daft public safety wise). There is no doubt in my mind, that GM went with 0w40 - at least partially - as a marketing strategy, as until recently, GM dealers had no oil to satisfy track going customers and were completely missing out on that segment.
Lastly, regardless of oil type, i would never keep it for a whole year - that's for damn sure. Cheers!
Old 07-20-2020, 09:16 PM   #67
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
I would not hesitate to use quality 5w30 dexos1 for DD.
Afterall, until recently this was a factory fill. No DD will produce sustained G forces beyond this oil's capability to affect pickup (unless somebody is completely daft public safety wise). There is no doubt in my mind, that GM went with 0w40 - at least partially - as a marketing strategy, as until recently, GM dealers had no oil to satisfy track going customers and were completely missing out on that segment.
Lastly, regardless of oil type, i would never keep it for a whole year - that's for damn sure. Cheers!
I have my own suspicions about the dexos2 0W-40 being driven in part by GM wanting to enhance their partnership with Mobil 1 and drive revenues, but why spec an oil that doesn't really hit the mass market (and even DEALERS can't get it) for months after it's designated as the spec'ed oil? The local dealership told me today that it's required in the 'vettes but didn't specify if it was just the C8 or the newer C7 as well. If the latter, again, I don't understand making the mandate for it and not being able to supply it.

Seeing the slight drop in hot idle oil pressure is ultimately what's making me question the choice. From what I can find, the Kirkland oil (from Warren) has phosphorous ratings of 795 (does that translate to .0795?) and Zinc at 845 (again, .0845?). I can't find any sort of MSDS on it to get details for the Suplhated Ash or HTHS. It -seems- to compare very closely with the Super Tech from WalMart which is most likely the very same oil or extremely close to it in what is blended.

I'd love to see the full ratings for the Kirkland oil but, dexos1 is dexos1. And, at $25 per oil change, that price is REALLY hard to beat. Except that it's on sale right now for $22 for two 5qt jugs.
Old 07-20-2020, 10:01 PM   #68
TrackClub

Quote:
I have my own suspicions about the dexos2 0W-40 being driven in part by GM wanting to enhance their partnership with Mobil 1 and drive revenues, but why spec an oil that doesn't really hit the mass market (and even DEALERS can't get it) for months after it's designated as the spec'ed oil? The local dealership told me today that it's required in the 'vettes but didn't specify if it was just the C8 or the newer C7 as well. If the latter, again, I don't understand making the mandate for it and not being able to supply it.

Seeing the slight drop in hot idle oil pressure is ultimately what's making me question the choice. From what I can find, the Kirkland oil (from Warren) has phosphorous ratings of 795 (does that translate to .0795?) and Zinc at 845 (again, .0845?). I can't find any sort of MSDS on it to get details for the Suplhated Ash or HTHS. It -seems- to compare very closely with the Super Tech from WalMart which is most likely the very same oil or extremely close to it in what is blended.

I'd love to see the full ratings for the Kirkland oil but, dexos1 is dexos1. And, at $25 per oil change, that price is REALLY hard to beat. Except that it's on sale right now for $22 for two 5qt jugs.
Well, i tracked my C5Z for over a decade on 5w30 Mobil1 with zero issues. The car is still going strong for a new owner. Of course an LT1 is a different engine, yet 5w30 was an original factory fill for it as well.

As much as lots has been said about Mobil1 developing their 0W40 Dexos2 "specifically" for a C7 Vette, no owner manual mentions it by manufacturer name. So any 0W40 Dexos2 is just fine by GM. Where i live dealers have no issue obtaining it btw.

Having said that, ive only used brand names in my vehicles and regardless of usage i change it often (at 50% life and no longer than 3 months elapsed time).
To me, oil is the most crucial component of engine health maintenance and - touch wood - i have never lost a motor yet.

Id say, if a few extra bucks dont matter, use 0w40, as it will provide more protection especialy when driven hard.
But, again, even GM says that 5w30 is fine for DD (and stands behind it with a 5 yr drive train warranty).

Basically, i am just repeating what GM states officially in an owner's manual Cheers!
Old 07-21-2020, 08:55 AM   #69
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
..... So any 0W40 Dexos2 is just fine by GM. Where i live dealers have no issue obtaining it btw.
My dealer can get it. They actually have CASES of it stacked in the parts department. The problem is the cost...

When you say "any" 0W40 dexos2, you really mean any of the three Mobil 1 0E40 dexos2 oils, or maybe the Castrol Edge one that's pretty hard to find. There are no other dexos2 oils that are 0W40. :(

Quote:
Having said that, ive only used brand names in my vehicles and regardless of usage i change it often (at 50% life and no longer than 3 months elapsed time).
To me, oil is the most crucial component of engine health maintenance and - touch wood - i have never lost a motor yet.

Id say, if a few extra bucks dont matter, use 0w40, as it will provide more protection especialy when driven hard.
But, again, even GM says that 5w30 is fine for DD (and stands behind it with a 5 yr drive train warranty).

Basically, i am just repeating what GM states officially in an owner's manual Cheers!
It's too bad that I can't get dexos2 5W40 oil easily and inexpensively - I would go that route if it were a very good "second choice." But, it seems that it's possibly MORE difficult to find locally, and there seems to be little to no cost savings over the 0W40 Mobil 1.

My Silverado oil change runs me about $65 at the dealership and hate paying it. Almost double that for a car that's drive half as often is even harder to stomach. Yes, I know... Don't complain about the operating and maintenance costs for a car I bought on purpose. First world problems.
Old 07-21-2020, 09:09 AM   #70
trohde78

Quote:
My dealer can get it. They actually have CASES of it stacked in the parts department. The problem is the cost...

When you say "any" 0W40 dexos2, you really mean any of the three Mobil 1 0E40 dexos2 oils, or maybe the Castrol Edge one that's pretty hard to find. There are no other dexos2 oils that are 0W40. :(

It's too bad that I can't get dexos2 5W40 oil easily and inexpensively - I would go that route if it were a very good "second choice." But, it seems that it's possibly MORE difficult to find locally, and there seems to be little to no cost savings over the 0W40 Mobil 1.

My Silverado oil change runs me about $65 at the dealership and hate paying it. Almost double that for a car that's drive half as often is even harder to stomach. Yes, I know... Don't complain about the operating and maintenance costs for a car I bought on purpose. First world problems.
NAPA often has the Valvoline 5W-40 MST on sale for around $5 a quart. It's not Kirkland cheap, but not too bad.