Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs

Bigwormgraphix

Old 04-07-2020, 02:21 AM   #1
95 imp
Dumb Ass Deluxe

Drives: A Tricked Out Mountain Bike
Car Covers

I'll be parking my Camaro outside, but I won't be driving it often. Would it be better to just have an outdoor car cover on it?

Or should I put a tight indoor cover on under the outdoor cover to help keep blowing dust out and flapping outdoor cover from scratching the paint?
95 imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 09:43 AM   #2
KirkH

Drives: 2016 2SS M6 Mosaic Blk Met-SOLD
Neither. Both will allow dirt under it and the wind will cause the dirt to scratch. Covers should be used only indoors.
KirkH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 11:13 PM   #3
95 imp
Dumb Ass Deluxe

Is their anything I can do then?
Old 04-07-2020, 11:39 PM   #4
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95 imp View Post
Honestly, probably better off letting the car get dirty and properly washing it (foam cannon, 2 bucket wash, etc)... I have a car cover, I only put it on when the car is fairly clean AND it is going to sit for a while (at least 5 days or so)...
Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...
2SS Capt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 11:08 AM   #5
KirkH

Quote:

Your protection for outside is your sealant, whether you choose ceramic, polymer, or carnauba wax. Proper washing techniques are the key. Research the 2 bucket washing method and rinseless washing method (for when its not too dirty.)

Don't fall into the trap of chasing gloss by wiping down the dust between washings with detail spray. That is what detailers call "installing swirls." LOL.

If its dirty and you don't have time to wash it right, leave it dirty. Dirt sitting on your car won't scratch it. Wiping that dirt off without max lubrication, will.
Old 04-08-2020, 11:33 AM   #6
95 imp
Dumb Ass Deluxe

Alright!

Let me ask a few more q's please...

California Car Duster for cleaning light dirt... Sounds like that would be a no no too.

What about the car wash... I've always thought that would be a bad idea, but what is your opinion? Hand wash or don't do it at all?
Old 04-08-2020, 11:46 AM   #7
KirkH

Quote:
Alright!

Let me ask a few more q's please...

California Car Duster for cleaning light dirt... Sounds like that would be a no no too.

What about the car wash... I've always thought that would be a bad idea, but what is your opinion? Hand wash or don't do it at all?

So read back a few pages on this forum- we discuss these topics over and over.

Some people use a Cal Duster. I don't recommend. People who do use them are usually car show people whose cars are already super clean.

The car wash (automatic, touchless, or self service) is what makes cars look so terrible! They are swirl installers. Even touchless and self serve recycle their water. Your pre-rinse and soapy water are someone else's rinse water!!!!
Old 04-08-2020, 12:31 PM   #8
95 imp
Dumb Ass Deluxe

I'm usually the super clean guy....

ATM, life has forced me to be without a garage and I'm not used to that, so trying to figure out the next best thing in the interim.

Thanks for the help!
Old 04-08-2020, 01:22 PM   #9
KirkH

Quote:
I'm usually the super clean guy....

ATM, life has forced me to be without a garage and I'm not used to that, so trying to figure out the next best thing in the interim.

Thanks for the help!

You're welcome! We have quite a few guys on here who really know what they're talking about so read back a few pages and make sure to use the search function.
Old 04-17-2020, 12:53 PM   #10
SilverBullet28

Drives: 2019 Camaro 2SS 6spd
Thought I'd bump this for some suggestions on my issue.

So right now I'm parked in assigned parking in my small apartment building. Naturally I have some pipes overhead.

Usually about twice a month i have to hit the hood with some quick detailer because the car gets water on it every so often. Old building so its definitely more than just water spots(dirt, rust, who knows what else), naturally not something my landlord is willing to waste time and money on fixing during a certain health crisis.

I'm looking for some sort of covering, I could go full car cover but its a bit overkill (unless its like super easy to just keep the hood covered). Would love to really just cover up the hood and the main splash zone. Any suggestions?
SilverBullet28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 02:13 PM   #11
Jb54

Drives: 2019 Camaro SS M6
Hi 95imp: I have a " Superweave" outdoor car cover I use for my car. It is custom made specially for your vehicle to fit like a glove. It has padded grommets along the bottom of the cover for additional tightening with bungee cords, also has spandex on the front and rear of the cover to make it hug your car. It works great with no scratching at all. Available for ordering through California car cover company. Comes in 8 colors. Hope this helps! Most important thing is to have the car cleaned before installing it.

Last edited by Jb54; 04-17-2020 at 02:16 PM. Reason: Add
Jb54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 10:43 AM   #12
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBullet28 View Post
Thought I'd bump this for some suggestions on my issue.

So right now I'm parked in assigned parking in my small apartment building. Naturally I have some pipes overhead.

Usually about twice a month i have to hit the hood with some quick detailer because the car gets water on it every so often. Old building so its definitely more than just water spots(dirt, rust, who knows what else), naturally not something my landlord is willing to waste time and money on fixing during a certain health crisis.

I'm looking for some sort of covering, I could go full car cover but its a bit overkill (unless its like super easy to just keep the hood covered). Would love to really just cover up the hood and the main splash zone. Any suggestions?
Go for a half-cut of large bamboo and some coat hangers... Gillian’s Island style!

Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote