Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 11-19-2020, 02:32 AM   #1
CamaroSSStlfan
Account Suspended

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
New 2016 SS owner. What exhaust to get, I get a good deal?

Sorry I didn't get around to posting earlier, but last month I bought a used 2016 Camaro 2SS automatic only 15,900 miles when I bought it. I paid about $31,500 for it. This is my first Camaro actually and before this I owned Mustang GTs.

Was this a pretty good price? Currently used Camaro's around here are hard to find and similar ones are going for almost 35k right now. The Mustangs I notice a huge glut of them on the market hence cheaper for a 5.0 premium right now here in Florida.

I will say this Camaro is quicker than my 2012 5.0 The thing is the Camaro rides so smooth you don't realize how fast you're going lol. My Mustang while it was a bit slower it just physically felt faster even though it isn't.

The part I do want to upgrade first is the exhaust. It has the dual mode exhaust and was wondering what exhaust set up and muffles you guys recommend. I want something that's deep and loud, muscle car sounding. Like I said I've owned Mustangs in the past and usually put Flowmasters on them but it seems there isn't quite as much aftermarket stuff for the Camaro as there is for the Coyotes. That was one thing that almost made me go for a new 5.0 was after market options but I wanted something different for a change.

Also, what is a good cold air intake and tuner to go along with it? I was hesitant to tune my 5.0 because the older Coyotes like the 2012 was having issues with cylinder number 8 destructing from hand held tuners.

Overall minus the blind spot on the drivers side I'm quite happy with my ride but being new to the Camaro 6 platform it's quite a bit different than the Mustang so I'd love advice on performance stuff to add on.
CamaroSSStlfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 02:34 AM   #2
CamaroSSStlfan
Account Suspended

Should have added a pic too!

Old 11-19-2020, 05:40 AM   #3
Gary Frank

Drives: 07 Vette 19 Camaro92 350 S10
I have the AWE cat back with Kooks long tube and hiflow cats, the cold air of choice is a Roto-Fab . good luck.
Gary Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 05:43 AM   #4
CHASLT1

Drives: 2021 Camaro LT1
I plan on doing a exhaust on my new 2021 LT1. I was used to the very loud and raw exhaust of my C6 Vette with headers and no cats. So i want mine to be a good bit louder than my stock NPP.
CHASLT1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 05:46 AM   #5
dmcmahan60

Drives: 2017 SS
If you want to keep the NPP exhaust setup it will be expensive with whoever you choose. If you don't want to keep the NPP function there are a few options that are under $1000. I have the AWE Touring axel back but my car was a 1SS with out the NPP. There are many exhaust threads on here already Have fun.
dmcmahan60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 06:13 AM   #6
CHASLT1

Drives: 2021 Camaro LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcmahan60 View Post
If you want to keep the NPP exhaust setup it will be expensive with whoever you choose. If you don't want to keep the NPP function there are a few options that are under $1000. I have the AWE Touring axel back but my car was a 1SS with out the NPP. There are many exhaust threads on here already Have fun.
I don't care about keeping NPP. Mine is always open and i will go with a none NPP system. I was thinking AWE track version.
CHASLT1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 07:18 AM   #7
dmcmahan60

The AWE Track version is loud if that is what you are looking for. PM me your number and I can send you a few videos of my car with the Touring set up And if you are interested on a good place to buy try WWW.RDPStore.com . Steve is a trusted vendor on here
Old 11-19-2020, 07:39 AM   #8
WhiteMale

Drives: 23 ZL1 A10 Rapid Blue
AWE Track can drone, just FYI. The touring version does not. I have the touring axle back on my car and recommend it for tone and volume. Is louder than NPP wide open.
WhiteMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 08:09 AM   #9
zaimer

Drives: 23 ZL1 6speed
Have tried removing the fuse for the NPP exhaust valves? I'm not sure how loud you want to go, but that is satisfactory for many. I did it on my NPP and I haven't put it back in. It is audible but I wouldn't call it loud, unless you are into the throttle, revving, cold start, etc. I have debated getting a louder (aftermarket) exhaust but I'm afraid of it being too loud. Particularly at times where I want to be more quiet (leaving in the morning, late at night). The NPP (open valve) cold start is loud in the morning, I have no doubt that at least one of my neighbors has to be able to hear it.
zaimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 08:22 AM   #10
RyanR623

Drives: SS A8, NPP, Red Hot
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaimer View Post
Have tried removing the fuse for the NPP exhaust valves? I'm not sure how loud you want to go, but that is satisfactory for many. I did it on my NPP and I haven't put it back in. It is audible but I wouldn't call it loud, unless you are into the throttle, revving, cold start, etc. I have debated getting a louder (aftermarket) exhaust but I'm afraid of it being too loud. Particularly at times where I want to be more quiet (leaving in the morning, late at night). The NPP (open valve) cold start is loud in the morning, I have no doubt that at least one of my neighbors has to be able to hear it.
The only thing that does is keep the valves open while cruising on the highway. If you're in track, that is the only time the valves close. It's to prevent drone.
RyanR623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 08:56 AM   #11
zaimer

Drives: 23 ZL1 6speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanR623 View Post
The only thing that does is keep the valves open while cruising on the highway. If you're in track, that is the only time the valves close. It's to prevent drone.
Right, I guess I could've been more clear . I believe the valves are open (fuse or no fuse) on startup..
zaimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 12:22 PM   #12
CamaroSSStlfan
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcmahan60 View Post

I guess this is why a lot of people prefer the base models? That way you can use the money saved and customize the car to where you want it to be.

I would have bought a base model 1ss or even LT1 but none of the dealers have them around here. A dealer did have 3 1SS 2020 left overs and had really good deals on them too but I didn't like the colors.

A lot of people buy the base model Mustang GT and then they add on what they want themselves.

This 2ss I have has way more features than I need lol. I do like the cooled seats but the other gizmos I think is just a gimmick.

Back in the day you could order a muscle car stripped down.

Hell, with what some of these loaded 2SS are going for new you're better off buying a base model 1ss, LT1 and then throwing on a super charger. Then you have a car nearly as fast as a ZL1 and still a lot cheaper.
Old 11-19-2020, 01:53 PM   #13
dmcmahan60

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSSStlfan View Post
I guess this is why a lot of people prefer the base models? That way you can use the money saved and customize the car to where you want it to be.

I would have bought a base model 1ss or even LT1 but none of the dealers have them around here. A dealer did have 3 1SS 2020 left overs and had really good deals on them too but I didn't like the colors.

A lot of people buy the base model Mustang GT and then they add on what they want themselves.

This 2ss I have has way more features than I need lol. I do like the cooled seats but the other gizmos I think is just a gimmick.

Back in the day you could order a muscle car stripped down.

Hell, with what some of these loaded 2SS are going for new you're better off buying a base model 1ss, LT1 and then throwing on a super charger. Then you have a car nearly as fast as a ZL1 and still a lot cheaper.
I had a limit on what I could spend on a fun car enforced by the Warden(Wife) lol. Do I wish i had some of the bells and whistles of a 2SS, sometimes yes but parts are cheaper for a 1SS vs 2SS. I have a smile on my face everyday I drive it regardless Happy Modding
Old 11-19-2020, 03:56 PM   #14
Kyrac0103
Kyrac

Drives: 2018 2SS A8
I went with MBRP track edition, axleback because I wanted the black tips and they were the only ones who had them for less than a grand... Very easy to install and they are loud at lower speeds & gears but when cruising down the highway at 60-80 MPH you can barely hear them, no drone at all...
Kyrac0103 is offline   Reply With Quote